154: The Comics Panel

Kieron Gillen

Dec 31, 1969
The Comics Panel

"The Immortal Iron Fist is the product of an inspired collaboration between crime-pulp godhead Ed Brubaker and comics' new golden boy, Matt Fraction. Co-writing, while not commonplace, has a long history in comics. In fact, even when working on a title by themselves, writers often talk about picking up the phone and calling a friend to hammer out the tricky narrative problem of who's going to be punching who in whose face this month. Collaboration over the phone is how a previous generation of writers got tasks like The Immortal Iron Fist done.

"While Fraction and Brubaker have been known to get on the ringer, it wasn't how they broke down narratives like 'The Last Iron Fist Story' and 'The Seven Capital Cities of Heaven.' They did it over Xbox Live."

Read Full Article

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
I found that a very interesting read, and I've some new inspiration for writing some first person stories.

the_carrot

Nov 8, 2007
Two cousinly escapes getting along? Seems pretty reasonable... Maybe I'm missing the point, but that seems to sum up what you said... Though to be frank, I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say.

KBKarma

May 14, 2008
the_carrot said:
Two cousinly escapes getting along? Seems pretty reasonable... Maybe I'm missing the point, but that seems to sum up what you said... Though to be frank, I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say.
He's discussing how the games, especially ones with more of a social interaction, are affecting comic books. Before, writers would discuss in board-rooms or over the phone. Now, they get on the XBox, and discuss while shooting at each other. The environment then has an influence on the comic, resulting in scenes that could have happened in a game, or indeed have, in the case of more open games.

Previously, I'd say DnD and other games of the kind would have had an influence, for the same reasons. Now, of course, video games are making impressions.

Very nice, Kieron.