PlayStation Phone Photographs Surface [UPDATED]

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
PlayStation Phone Photographs Surface [UPDATED]

Years of rumor and speculation have seemingly coalesced into an actual PlayStation phone.

The first pictures of Sony Ericsson's PlayStation branded phone have surfaced, showing a device that look remarkably, but perhaps unsurprisingly, like the PSP Go. Rumors of a PlayStation phone have done the rounds for years, but it was only earlier this year that it looked like Sony was actually making one.

The phone looks smaller than a PSP Go, which isn't a surprise as presumably it's about the same size as your average smart phone. It reportedly has a screen of around 3.7 to 4.1 inches in size, and though it lacks the analog stick that the PSP Go has, it has a wide touchpad in its place. The touchpad is supposedly multitouch, so it might even work as dual analog sticks. Under the hood, the phone has a 1GHz processor, 512MB of RAM, 1GB of ROM and support for Micro SD cards. The phone will apparently run on the latest version of Android, although at the moment there are still a lot of kinks and bugs to fix.

It should be noted that none of this information comes from official Sony channels, so it's technically just rumor at the moment, even though that photo looks pretty convincing. Even if it is the real deal, the phone is still in its prototype phase, so pretty much anything and everything about it could change, from the way it looks to the chips it uses.

Update: Both Sony Ericsson and Sony Computer Entertainment have refused to comment on the existence of a PlayStation Phone, saying that they do not comment on speculation or rumor. The images of the phone are now thought to be faked however, thanks to certain irregularities in the device's interface.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/the-playstation-phone/] via 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/first-picture-playstation-phone]

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT

seriously, i need a replacement for meh sony ericsson w910i, i need a new music and/or game phone :p

(although my phone DOES have pokemon on it!)

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
The touchpad intrigues me. I bet they might do that for the PSP2 which I want Sony to unveil soon. Especially if it's a multi touchpad, meaning we won't need fiddly analogue sticks.

If this is true, then it has one objective. Be better than the N-gage, which means making a good phone and a good gaming service. Judging how it's on android they've got one thing down and now they just need it to be a decent phone.

One thing that gripes me is why do these pictures exist? To have the Prototype, you'd have to sign a waver and Sony would know who would have leaked them and probably have them fired or something. Two possibilities:

-These photos are legit but the photographs were leaked by Sony.

-These photo's are fake and so is everything about the story.

I'm leaning more towards the first one since the rumour mill has been talking about a playstation phone for a while. I predict a Christmas 2011 release.

Not that any of you care what I think. Your just skimming past this to get to Calumon.

Calumon: Well, I am the cuter one. ^^

EDIT: Thought to be faked eh? What kind of irregularities are these? It all seems fine to me. Is it the writing behind the "No Sim Card." I see nothing else wrong with it, and that could just be because it's a prototype.

Calumon: I hope it's real. Lying is bad.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
It looks pretty sweet. I still use my Sony Ericsson k750i. This might finally be the right thing for me to ditch the old phone. A worthy successor perhaps. I hope so.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Either it tears apart the iPhone's gaming market or we have another nGage. I look forward to hearing about it.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
I hope this is legit, not just the images, but the rumours that Sony is actually making a PSP phone. I would grab that thing in a heartbeat.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Sony Ericsson makes good phones. Strange this hasn't happened ear;ier. I guess this will show how much they've learned with the PSP Go.

I won't get this. I like simple phones and I dislike the temptation to game while I'm in the great outdoors, still I can't wait to see what they do with it. ANdroid is a good first step if it's legit.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Update: Both Sony Ericsson and Sony Computer Entertainment have refused to comment on the existence of a PlayStation Phone, saying that they do not comment on speculation or rumor. The images of the phone are now thought to be faked however, thanks to certain irregularities in the device's interface.
So they refused to comment... by calling it a rumour? That was a bit transparent. Unless its a big publicity thing.

Oh, and mate? You have disappointed us brits by spelling rumour the yank way. Unless you were just copy-pasting ;-)

Jack and Calumon said:
EDIT: Thought to be faked eh? What kind of irregularities are these? It all seems fine to me. Is it the writing behind the "No Sim Card." I see nothing else wrong with it, and that could just be because it's a prototype.

Calumon: I hope it's real. Lying is bad.
The writing is "Emergency Calls Only"

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
The Cheezy One said:
Oh, and mate? You have disappointed us brits by spelling rumour the yank way. Unless you were just copy-pasting ;-)
Sadly English is translated to Wronglish as the servers are hosted in the only country in the world that uses Wronglish.

The Cheezy One

Dec 13, 2008
dududf said:
The Cheezy One said:
Sadly English is translated to Wronglish as the servers are hosted in the only country in the world that uses Wronglish.
But my dear Mr. Westbrook is usually so good for this kind of thing!
And your avatar is the pinnacle of awesomeness

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
The Cheezy One said:
Err, no. This is an American site, so its writers - wherever they might be from - use American English in their articles. I'm not sure why you think I'm an exception.

The Cheezy One

Dec 13, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
The Cheezy One said:
Err, no. This is an American site, so its writers - wherever they might be from - use American English in their articles. I'm not sure why you think I'm an exception.
Really? I'm sure I've seen you use the Queens English before. Must just be me.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Interesting idea. So glad that it uses Micro-SD (they've finally given up on the memory stick pro-duo crap then!). Let's hope the pics are fake though, goodness that looks awful.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
ok multi touch pad would be great if thats on the psp2

tho i would still prefer 2 analog sticks.

As for the phone, its a matter of what carrier will support it. and if it runs flash too. Otherwise, meh for me :(

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Hmmm... [http://www.engadget.com/photos/the-playstation-phone/#3511130]

Engadget may claim it's a prototype, but having A and B buttons for the interface is really a howler. I think it's a fake, I doubt Sont would make that kind of blunder, even early in the development cycle.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
I have to call fake on this one you really think if sony was going to create a psp phone they would install android os on it??? So while I could see it as a sony phone I would doubt it would be marketed as an Playstation phone.