Creepy Hospital Droid Watches You When You're Sick

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Creepy Hospital Droid Watches You When You're Sick

Better make sure you have plenty of visitors during your hospital stay, or they might send in the droids to keep you company.

Welcome to Uncanny Valley Hospital, where every room comes equipped with an unnerving automaton to watch over you with cold, dead eyes. Thankfully, that's not a real place, but sadly the robot is. The Actroid-F, as it's called, was developed by Kokoro Co. Ltd. and ATR to act as an observer in hospital rooms.

The Actroid-F isn't actually autonomous; instead, it tracks and replicates the operator's head movements, albeit in a much more jerky fashion. It puts me in mind of a Lieutenant Commander Data from Star Trek: The Next Generation, with the not entirely natural looking head tilts. On the plus side, its range of movement seems to be limited to the face and upper body, so there's no risk of waking up and finding it standing over you, stroking your hair.

Putting the creepy factor aside for a moment, the robot looks remarkably lifelike when it's still, but the way it moves very quickly reveals that something is "off" about it. Personally, if I was sick enough to be in hospital, it's not something I'd want in the room with me. Perhaps it's different in Japan, but the efforts to make it look more like a person actually make it less comforting, and something with a more obviously mechanical face would likely be a lot more effective. But then again, that really is the essence of the uncanny valley.

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/5674742/this-hyper+realistic-hospital-droid-will-console-you-in-your-last-days]

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
See that's actually reached the point now where it's too lifelike to trigger the uncanny-valley response to me. God damn that is realistic looking, animations are close enough too.

This showing up in the H industry in...

Mighty Lighty

Mar 23, 2009
KILL IT, KILL IT WITH FIRE

why am I picturing that thing instead of Arnold in the terminator films

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
Good call on that being the essence of the uncanny valley. Sometimes it looks somewhat believable, but then something happens and we're back in the valley again.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
having watched the video, and comparing it with western robots and shit, I can say, that the future will be a post apocalyptic world, where Megamans (yes, it's on purpose) and Gundams will fight world wars against terminators and skynet

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
That's awesome I totally want one!!!
but the mouth movements bother me greatly...<.<
I also like how the camera man was zooming into her chest at the end I found it funny...

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
I will say that she is beautiful and fantastically made
but if i am sick i would not want it to watch me. i would be scared to sleep.

Soupy George

Ejerkashun Prufshnal
Jan 8, 2010
OK, I'm going to have nightmares now. It doesn't help that the way the face is lit in the video gives it a sickly, pallid look that reminds me of Sadako in the Ring films.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Damn that shit is scary. And very well done from an aesthetic point of view. But still shit your pants scary.

Olorune

Jan 16, 2009
That was just plain creepy. I don't scare easily, but that? That freaked me right the fuck out! All I could think is what if it became self-aware or something?!?

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Good captain Christ, I'll never sleep in a hospital again.

It's movements remind me of C-3PO, and its mouth moves like a ventriloquist dummy.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
It looks ok as long as it isn't moving. But help them robot-god they ever turn this on in my vicinity!
It looks like their motion capturing was done by a hummingbird and an ant.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Wow, when its still it looks completely like a live person. Too bad its jerky movements kind of ruin it. Still, I'm very impressed.