Underworld Director Takes Over Gears of War Movie

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Underworld Director Takes Over Gears of War Movie

Gears of War [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0320691/].

Stuart Beattie [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0936482/], who had originally taken on the job. The pair are also working together on the sci-fi action movie Shell Game, currently scheduled for release in 2009.

Live Free Or Die Hard [http://www.newline.com/].

The movie will revolve around a team of elite soldiers fighting off an invasion by an alien race known as the Locust that threatens to wipe out the human inhabitants of the planet known as Sera. Gears of War is Epic [http://www.microsoft.com]says the game was meant from the beginning to be expanded into other media, including movies and novels, to take advantage of its extensive background story.

The movie was originally slated for release in summer 2009, but is now expected to be delayed. "It's like with our games, you can have it right or you can have it right now," said Epic Games Vice President Mark Rein. "We want to get it right. There's no timetable for us. We just want to make as good a movie as we can, and we think [Wiseman's] the guy who will do it."

A sequel to Gears of War is currently in development and targeted for release in November.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
While this sounds cool, I have two problems with this. One with the article itself, and one with what the article is about. The first problem (the one about the article) is that "Gears" is not a First Person Shooter, but a Third Person Shooter. The second (with what it's about) is that game to movie adaptations usually suck, though they seem to be infinently better then movie to game adaptations.

UpInSmoke

May 14, 2008
Mstrswrd said:
...game to movie adaptations usually suck, though they seem to be infinently better then movie to game adaptations.
I disagree. They both suck equally, and spawn one another. It's like which came first: the chicken of suck or the egg of failure?

BigCat91

May 26, 2008
WOAH A GEARS OF WAR MOVIE!!!! wow they beat halo by a shit load of years lol. i don't know if i'm gonna see it in theaters though probably because im not even 17 XD

Lanczos

Jun 18, 2008
meh...
The game had a story? Did I miss something?
What will the movie be about?
Let's guess:
Some Soldier with a dark past (something happend, that the authors think would give any depth to the character) is forced into battle and learns that the depressing life he lived till then has a turning point and in the end he finds hisself some supermodel-girlfried (Alba ftw) and everything is superb and the sun shines and stuff...

A game with the depth and demand of a black hole, like GoW is one, has so much potential to be a good movie... especially if it's made in hollywood -_-

Hopefully the movie isn't as blurry as the game... I don't like the feeling of needing glasses :/

yeah I diddn't like the game and until some miracle happens I probably won't like the movie either.
greetz

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Hmm I did like the game though the story confused me from the beginning. You don't even get the knowledge of what went on before you assumed the role of the protagonist. First thing I thought when I started the campaign and saw "14 years after E-day" was: what the fuck happened on E-day?? I wouldn't even have realised this war was going on on another planet than Earth if it wasn't for the internet. It seems that the story behind it all is in fact there, but they left it out of the game completely because they apparently thought XBox 360 owners just want to kill stuff with big guns and chainsaws, and the ones who were interested in the story can just check out the web. Excuse me, but I payed for the whole thing, I would like the full experience the game has to offer, including background story.

The rest was cool, I liked the gritty atmosphere, and it could be made into an excellent movie, or they could really shit it inside out completely. I would recommend an animated movie like FF Advent Children, that looked cool and helped keep the essence of the characters. I doubt anyone could bear watching a Marcus Fenix played by some actor. Just animate the movie, and let the voice actors from the game do the voices in the movie, you'll get the best results. Do it any other way and it'll end up like the Doom movie.

jaxxduece

May 9, 2008
Ill be surprised as hell if its anything better than mediocre. At least after the movie tanks at the box office, Len can go home and bump uglies with his hot wife, Kate Beckinsdale.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Underworld wasn't a good movie at all. So I am worried how this movie will turn like. By the way, note to Escapist: Gears of war is a THIRD PERSON SHOOTER. Not an FPS. Not to be nitpicky.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Len Wiseman is an excellent Action Movie Director... just make sure he has a good script to work with.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
PedroSteckecilo post=7.62048.621875 said:
just make sure he has a good script to work with.
FUCK YEAH!

SWEET!

DON'T MIND IF I DO!

I'LL TAKE THAT!

OH YEAH BABY!

SCRATCH ONE GRUB!

SWEET!

I'LL TAKE THAT!

Artheval_Pe

Jul 7, 2008
Chris Morgan don't seem to be the kind of writer that could do a movie with actual depth, so for me, Gears of War doesn't look like it's going to be a good movie, judging by who is in charge.

Why directors like Ridley Scott, Steven Spielberg (just forgot that he made Indy 4, the rest is fine, at worst), Clint Eastwood (I prefer when he's directing films) or James Cameron have never done an adaptation of a video game ?

Why movies based on games are always directed by bad directors or by Uwe Boll ?

Maybe we should be glad that no movie based on the Half Life franchise has been done yet...

Fangface74

Lock 'n' Load
Feb 22, 2008
Underworld 1 & 2...bad, BAD movies, full of tired stereotypes & clichés.

(Google 'Michael Bay Dark Knight Script', VERY funny.)

Mar 26, 2008
Fangface74 said:
Underworld 1 & 2...bad, BAD movies, full of tired stereotypes & clichés.

(Google 'Michael Bay Dark Knight Script', VERY funny.)
Although Kate Beckinsale in a latex catsuit made it actually watchable.

If they base this around the first game they can fill in some huge story holes that the game just didn't bother with.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
buy teh haloz post=7.62048.621867 said:
Underworld wasn't a good movie at all. So I am worried how this movie will turn like. By the way, note to Escapist: Gears of war is a THIRD PERSON SHOOTER. Not an FPS. Not to be nitpicky.
Blasphemy! I adored Underworld!

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Aries_Split post=7.62048.625338 said:
buy teh haloz post=7.62048.621867 said:
Blasphemy! I adored Underworld!
LOL, i actually felt a bit embarassed watching that movie. But whatever, if you liked underworld, i can't change your opinion right?

EDIT: It's been a long time since i last watched the movie, so yeah. Ill admit, Underworld was watchable so maybe ill see it again when i get the time.

Leftyrem

Jul 3, 2009
being nitpicky isnt what you did tou just pointed a mistake out its fanboys that are nitpicky

BKtheKITTY

Jun 24, 2009
zp=funiestthingever said:
being nitpicky isnt what you did tou just pointed a mistake out its fanboys that are nitpicky
...What? On a gaming website, it's fair play to point out that Gears is 3rd person, if someone on a literature website stated that Chaucer wrote cookbooks I'm fairly sure the same thing would happen. Seriously though, your post made no sense.

As for Underworld, I liked it, but can see why people wouldn't, and a Gears movie sounds like a pleasant waste of a few hours. Why not?

Oh, and Chaucer didn't write cookbooks. I just realised the inherent silliness in giving a literary example to someone I just picked up on for being barely literate. What a sausage.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
If this goes like Starship Troopers, then great!

If it goes like evoloution, Ack!
/Facepalm.

KaZZaP

Aug 7, 2008
Okay I couldn't play Gears after the first 2 levels but didn't have a terrible story? I hear this even from people who like the game so why would they make a movie out of it? ...Oh ya money money money.