Accused Breach Thief Catches a Break

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Accused Breach Thief Catches a Break

The guy accused of trying to steal Breach [http://breachgame.com/] at PAX East has been placed on "pre-trial probation," which means that this whole mess will go away as long as he's a good boy for the next couple of years.

On last week's exciting episode of Guilty von Dumbass: Criminal Mastermind, gamer Justin May was accused of trying to not guilty [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/99537-Gamer-Tries-to-Steal-Breach-Code-at-PAX-East-Gets-Arrested].

But instead of the high-intensity courtroom drama we were looking forward to, it might all soon be forgotten if May can keep himself out of trouble for awhile. On Tuesday at Boston Municipal Court, the accused thief was put on pre-trial probation, which according to Suffolk County District Attorney Press Secretary Jake Wark means he must "stay in school, not re-offend, stay off of Xbox Live web sites and forfeit his computer, which was seized at the time of his arrest." If May sticks to those conditions for 18 months, the case will be dismissed; if not, he'll be "put back on track for trial."

It's a bit of slap on the wrist, but as Wark pointed out back in April, "We aren't exactly dealing with John Dillinger here, you know?" And on the other side of the coin, 18 months of no Xbox Live and no PC won't be a lot of fun for someone who owned a "modded Xbox 360, modded PSP, modded DS," laptops and more when he was busted. Either way, Atomic Games [http://www.atomic.com/] President Peter Tamte seemed satisfied with the outcome.

"Our request of the District Attorney was that they treat this case just as seriously as if Justin May had stolen some very expensive tangible goods. In other words, we requested that they not treat the theft of intellectual property any differently than they would the theft of tangible property," Tamte told Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/27/breach-thief-placed-on-pre-trial-probation-must-stay-off-xbox-l/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fjoystiq+%28Joystiq%29]. "It's my understanding that the path they have taken with Justin May is consistent with this request, and the DA's course of action was heavily influenced by the fact that Mr. May was caught before his theft could cause any damage. Had he been able to post Breach on the Internet for download, and then been caught, he would likely end up serving time in jail."

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Sounds unfair to me. Just because they caught him before he could do bad things with it doesn't mean he should get a chance to dodge trial altogether. He's still a thief whether he got away with his plan or not.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Doesn't seem like much, but as long as the victims are happy, it'll do.

And is it just me, or does this kid look like Daniel Radcliffe?

EDIT

mjc0961 said:
Sounds unfair to me. Just because they caught him before he could do bad things with it doesn't mean he should get a chance to dodge trial altogether. He's still a thief whether he got away with his plan or not.
It depends on a number of factors, like how close he was to actually making it out with the game, criminal record, etcetera. If this is a first time offense, and nothing more then a lapse in judgement, this will likely do more good then a jail term would have. Besides, he goes anywhere near Live, he immediately has to go back to court anyways.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
rembrandtqeinstein said:
damn frodo has fallen on hard times since that whole mordor thing.
Yeah, Did you know he hade to sell his sword and mithril armor to pay his rent. Hard times indeed.

OT: Well that sucks for him. I dont think i could be without my PC or PS3 for that long.

Spirultima

Jul 25, 2008
Just noting something you guys have left out, the game looks crap anyway, if it was something hotly anticipated, you could understand, but it looks rather generic... (Also, the dude playing in the trailer was facepalm-able)

Not hating the game straight off, but it doesn't look like something you'd put your neck out for...

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Yes, it's a slap on the wrist, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back in court for violating the terms of his probation. The idiot.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I think they handed out a very fair punishment. 18 months without computer or an XBox is harsh for a teenager already. Besides, if he puts one toe out of line, he's going to put himself in a worse position.

Danish rage

Sep 26, 2010
He got his skull crushed with a mk II banhammer... well, stealing is still stealing, at least he should be punished acordingly for that.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
gamer Jason May was accused of trying to steal...

... seriously as if Justin May had stolen some very expensive tangible goods.

Uhh...which is it?

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I actually haven't heard about this at all for some reason..

Can't wait for Breach to come out though. It looks like a sweet game.

Egitor

Jan 28, 2010
Heads up: He doesn't have to spend 18 months without access to a PC at all, he had to forfeit the pc that was seized by the police already. He probably still has his server pc, backup pc, LAN pc and laptop =D

Still, that would suck!

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Thyunda said:
Uhh...which is it?
It's SHUT UP!

No, just kidding, thanks for the heads-up. Honestly, my fingers have minds of their own when I'm typing and usually they do what I want but every now and then they like to fuck with me a bit.

The kid caught a break but I think it's fair. He's not a serial killer or an incorrigible bank robber, he's just an idiot. Hopefully he's salvageable, but any chance that he is would go out the window forever if he wound up in the slam or saddled with some back-breaking multi-million-dollar fine over this. Putting his nuts in a crusher but not tightening it too much is the right move, and hopefully it'll pay off.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Thyunda said:
Uhh...which is it?
It's SHUT UP!

No, just kidding, thanks for the heads-up. Honestly, my fingers have minds of their own when I'm typing and usually they do what I want but every now and then they like to fuck with me a bit.

The kid caught a break but I think it's fair. He's not a serial killer or an incorrigible bank robber, he's just an idiot. Hopefully he's salvageable, but any chance that he is would go out the window forever if he wound up in the slam or saddled with some back-breaking multi-million-dollar fine over this. Putting his nuts in a crusher but not tightening it too much is the right move, and hopefully it'll pay off.
So it's Justin May? He looked more like a Jason to me.
I bet he gave a fake name.