Robot Vans Drive Themselves to China

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Robot Vans Drive Themselves to China

There is now a final solution to the bad drivers of the world as four electric vans drove all the way from Italy to China by themselves.

The 13,000 kilometer (8,000 miles) journey was accomplished without maps and the vans chose their route, which often left the beaten path for more treacherous roads through Siberia and China. Four solar-powered laser scanners and seven video cameras guided the computers controlling the steering and engine throttle. The vans were completely electric powered and they required 8 hours of charging every two to three hours of driving. The trip took nearly five months, possibly because the vehicles never went about 60 kph (37 mph). The convoy of four orange vans arrived in Shanghai this week for the Shanghai Expo.

Even though the vans drove themselves, there were a few human passengers on board in case anything went wrong. They did have to intervene a few times on the trip, like when the vans got caught in a traffic jam in Moscow. Apparently, our robot overlords do not yet understand the concept of "rush hour."

"We didn't know the route, I mean what the roads would have been and if we would have found nice roads, traffic, lots of traffic, medium traffic, crazy drivers or regular drivers, so we encountered the lot," said Isabella Fredriga, one of the researchers who made the journey with the vans.

"This steering wheel is controlled by the PC. So the PC sends a command and the steering wheel moves and turns and we can follow the road, follow the curves and avoid obstacles with this," said Alberto Broggi, head of the project.

"The idea here was to travel on a long route, on two different continents, in different states, different weather, different traffic conditions, different infrastructure. Then we can have some huge number of situations to test the system on," he said.

Mirroring the trip that Marco Polo took in the 13th century, the journey of the four electric vans was part of a study commissioned by the European Research Council. The data collected will be used to help develop technology to assist drivers on the road.

Insert joke here about stereotypical women/Asian drivers and how we can all benefit from this technology.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald [http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/without-driver-or-map-vans-go-from-italy-to-china-20101029-176ja.html?autostart=1]

SuccessAndBiscuts

Nov 9, 2009
inb4 Nightrider jokes.

Now that that's dealt with this sounds pretty cool, is it in anyway related to the DARPA grand challenge thing I remember hearing about a while ago?

Was a similar sort of thing involving automated vehicles.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
That is so awesome.

And yes i have to this: Are we teacing are robotic overlords to drive? We are doomed!

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Insert joke here about stereotypical women/Asian drivers and how we can all benefit from this technology.
Oh good. Maybe it will be safe to drive in California again.
(you asked for it)

In all seriousness, this technology is awesome. Anything that lowers the risk of accidents and driver stupidity is golden in my book.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Greg Tito said:
[youtube=QKcSZfY1sf4&p=D0ED9F671C00D895&playnext=1&index=21

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Perfect timing. My friend in Beijing sent me this image yesterday.

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
Wow, very impressive! Hopefully the whole world heads this way.

NO sarcasm. Driving would be a whole lot better if the whole world was driven by computers.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
Well this will just take the fun out of cars. As a bonafide petrolhead, this is like the holocaust to me.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
You know, combine this title with yesterday's article [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104809-China-Overtakes-U-S-with-Worlds-Fastest-Supercomputer] about China's new supercomputer, I thought for a second that it meant the vans became sentient and drove themselves to China. It's good that I'm wrong, but it would have been both hilarious and a tad frightening.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Zeeky_Santos said:
Greg Tito said:
Insert joke here about stereotypical Asian drivers
I can tell you right now that Chinese drivers cannot drive. Every time I get in a taxi I'm gambling with fate.

So it's fitting that it went from Italy (renowned for traffic situations that kinda merge into each other) to China (insane driving too).
Ah, ninja'd.

Once in Turin, I saw cars parked in the centre lane of traffic. The posted limit on highways is 110 km/h and most people average 170.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
This would be great in all those luxury cars driving by dummies. But hopefully if this catches on, you can still drive manually. (Demolition man!)

Also, those "in b4" comments are stupid and I wish people would please stop with them. You're not in before anything WHEN YOU SAY IT

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
KaiRai said:
Well this will just take the fun out of cars. As a bonafide petrolhead, this is like the holocaust to me.
And for those like me, to which cars are nothing more than a means of getting from point a to point b, this is one step closer to paradise ;)

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Zeeky_Santos said:
So it's fitting that it went from Italy (renowned for traffic situations that kinda merge into each other) to China (insane driving too).
And it went through Russia, which is... yeah. The local saying is that "our two main grievances are idiots and roads". I honestly can't imagine how those AIs didn't just burn to cinders trying to get through the infamous Moscow traffic jams.

Feb 19, 2010
Kollega said:
Zeeky_Santos said:
And it went through Russia, which is... yeah. The local saying is that "our two main grievances are idiots and roads". I honestly can't imagine how those AIs didn't just burn to cinders trying to get through the infamous Moscow traffic jams.

don't get me started on moscow traffic and the horribley made roads.

its more of a feel like

W-w-w-w-elcome to BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM r-r-r-r-rrussia

now with 90% worse roads.

still, the robot car making it through russia is an achivment