Get Your Face in The Witcher 2

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Get Your Face in The Witcher 2

CD Projekt wants to rip your face off - and, if you happen to win the "Doppler Effect" Halloween photo contest, use it on characters in The Witcher 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Witcher-2-Assassins-Kings-Pc/dp/B003VJNPPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288372778&sr=8-1].

Want a shot at instant fame and maybe an opportunity to get drunk, start fights and treat women like furniture in a dark and gritty fantasy world that's actually dark and gritty? Then you, my friend, need to check out CD Projekt's "Doppler Effect Contest," a quick and easy way to put yourself in the upcoming RPG epic The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.

The rules are simple: Dress up as a Witcher-inspired character, take a photo and send it in. Two winners will get free copies of The Witcher 2 and, even better, will have their faces used for characters in the game. More good news: You don't have to live in the U.S. to enter! The contest is open to anyone 18 years of age or older.

You might be wondering about the name of the contest, since the doppelganger [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect]," a typically evil but otherwise identical double of another person and a term that makes a lot more sense in the context of the game and the contest. But hey, we won't hold it against them.

More information, including the full rules and a link to submit your photos, is available at The Witcher Facebook page [http://www.facebook.com/thewitcher?v=app_4949752878]. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is slated for release in the first quarter of 2011, exclusively for the PC.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
That's sort of a fun idea.

Also, Geralt doesn't treat women like furniture. Honestly, the game's much less sexist than people seem to think. Just think of the end of Act 1 for example.

Apr 28, 2008
Sounds awesome. Now I just need to get some clothes that make me look like a filthy scamp and I'm good to go.

Oh, and a camera. I think that'll be important.

HK_01 said:

Also, Geralt doesn't treat women like furniture. Honestly, the game's much less sexist than people seem to think. Just think of the end of Act 1 for example.
Depends on your choices really. You could choose to not have sex with anyone, or you could choose to bang everything in sight. Its all up to you.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Irridium said:
Sounds awesome. Now I just need to get some clothes that make me look like a filthy scamp and I'm good to go.

Oh, and a camera. I think that'll be important.

HK_01 said:

Depends on your choices really. You could choose to not have sex with anyone, or you could choose to bang everything in sight. Its all up to you.
Wow, finally an RPG whose choice system I actually want to try out.

Geralt says;
-"nice shoes, and your hair smells lovely, what shampoo do you use?"
-"I've got to work late tonight, sorry"

Yaloret

Devil's Advocate
Mar 21, 2009
In the mythology of the Witcher books, a Doppler is the corruption of Doppelganger. Most of Sapkowski's creatures are classical mythology monsters with minor name changes.

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
Yaloret said:
In the mythology of the Witcher books, a Doppler is the corruption of Doppelganger. Most of Sapkowski creatures are classical mythology monsters with minor name changes.
Thank you. I was a bit confused of what this has to do with the Doppler effect in physics (the frequency of sound waves of a moving object is greater when it approaches than when it goes away. Can't explain better).

This sounds really cool. I haven't played the Witcher yet, but I would really love to if my computer is good enough (probably should check).

alexdulcianu

Apr 7, 2010
I liked this game for the sense of power it gives you, right from the beginning. You are not a peasant trying to be a hero, you are a witcher(a monster hunter). And an old witcher for that matter, with a lot of experience and reputation. Can't wait for the 2nd part.

Blights

Feb 16, 2009
Wait, isn't this basically the same thing that happened in Fable 3? I recall Peter Molyneux asking for some type of cereal, first 2 people to bring it to him got their face put into the game.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Doppler is a intelligent race that can change it's skin to look like a person they see or remember. In one of the books, Geralt had found one, disguised as merchant, that he(Doppler) robbed earlier.

Admiral Stukov

I spill my drink!
Jul 1, 2009
There are some elements of sexism in the witcher, not as bad as most people think it is, but keep in mind that the game is based on a book series, with some fairly heavy sexual themes in places.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
More good news: You don't have to live in the U.S. to enter!
Well, duh! Since The Witcher is a Polish game and made by a Polish studio, it would've been pretty stupid and unfair to do a US Only contest.

Yeah, I might be a little bitter over the fact that 99% of all video game related contests, competitions, giveaways and prize draws are either "US/Canada Only" or "Japan Only". Seriously, I don't even look at contest ads on the Escapist or other online gamer sites no more, since there is always that loathsome "for citizens of US/Canada only" sticker in the rules section. But thankfully, there are video game makers on this side of the pond too, so there is a contest I can finally enter too. Just for the irony of it, I would've put a "citizens of EU only" sticker in the rules....

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
It's nice to RPG developing studios, as of late, getting their fans more involved in their games. Kinda like what ArenaNet did with their Guild Wars 2 game (currently in production) by allowing some fans to design some event chains. Hopefully Bioware will do something like this, in the not so distant future.

dryg

Feb 8, 2009
Playbahnosh said:
Andy Chalk said:
Well, duh! Since The Witcher is a Polish game and made by a Polish studio, it would've been pretty stupid and unfair to do a US Only contest.

Yeah, I might be a little bitter over the fact that 99% of all video game related contests, competitions, giveaways and prize draws are either "US/Canada Only" or "Japan Only". Seriously, I don't even look at contest ads on the Escapist or other online gamer sites no more, since there is always that loathsome "for citizens of US/Canada only" sticker in the rules section. But thankfully, there are video game makers on this side of the pond too, so there is a contest I can finally enter too. Just for the irony of it, I would've put a "citizens of EU only" sticker in the rules....
BC2 was made by DICE in Sweden, still the DrPepper something-whatever-happened.. thing was US only.

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
dryg said:
Playbahnosh said:
Andy Chalk said:

BC2 was made by DICE in Sweden, still the DrPepper something-whatever-happened.. thing was US only.
Yes, but DICE, Dr Pepper and EA are still all US corporations, so that's why. CD Project is Polish.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Yaloret said:
In the mythology of the Witcher books, a Doppler is the corruption of Doppelganger. Most of Sapkowski's creatures are classical mythology monsters with minor name changes.
But is that a translational thing, or is "doppler" what he's actually going for? I'm honlesty curious, since "Doppler effect" does mean something entirely unrelated to anything even remotely RPG-ish.

I am SO looking forward to this game. I don't care what anyone says, The Witcher kicked the crap out of Dragon Age in every way imaginable. I love BioWare, they do great things, but Dragon Age was thin gruel compared to Geralt and company.

Yaloret

Devil's Advocate
Mar 21, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Yaloret said:
But is that a translational thing, or is "doppler" what he's actually going for? I'm honlesty curious, since "Doppler effect" does mean something entirely unrelated to anything even remotely RPG-ish.

I am SO looking forward to this game. I don't care what anyone says, The Witcher kicked the crap out of Dragon Age in every way imaginable. I love BioWare, they do great things, but Dragon Age was thin gruel compared to Geralt and company.
That's how they're referred to in the books and the game. I think it started as a linguistic misstep and grew into a sort of unique mark.