Xbox Live Used for a Billion Hours Every Month

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Xbox Live Used for a Billion Hours Every Month

Either a lot of people are using Xbox Live, or some people need to get out of the house a heck of a lot more.

You might not think that you use Xbox Live that much, maybe a few games of Halo: Reach here, or a movie or two via Netflix there, but those hours add up, and with 25 million people using the service, they add up to a very big number.

New statistics from Microsoft have revealed that each Xbox Live user spends an average of 40 hours a month on the service, which when multiplied by the 25 million Xbox consoles connected to the service, totalled a billion hours collectively. The statistics showed that over the last year Xbox Live had seen a 157% increase in the time spent watching TV shows and movies on the service, and 42% of Xbox Live Gold subscribers in the US watched at least one hour a day.

A billion hours is a heck of a lot of time to spend using Xbox Live - it works out as around 115,000 years - and what's even more amazing about it is that each person doesn't have to spend all that much time using the service to get the number up that high. It's a safe bet that PS3 owners spending a similar amount of time on PSN, especially as recent figures [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103528-Sony-Claims-More-than-30-Million-PS3s-Connected-to-PSN] from Sony show that there are actually more PS3 connected to the internet than Xbox 360s.

You've got to assume that just regular TV viewing gets much higher monthly figures than any console, but a billion hours a month is nothing to be sneezed at, and has clearly proven to be very enticing to services like Netflix.. Both Microsoft and Sony have more TV and movie services in the pipeline - ESPN [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101333-E3-2010-ESPN-and-Xbox-360-Get-Exclusive] and Hulu Plus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101780-New-Premium-Service-Brings-Hulu-to-Consoles] for the 360, and Hulu Plus and LoveFilm [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104237-LoveFilm-Launching-PS3-Streaming-Service] in the UK - which will undoubtedly push the number even higher.

Banter

Apr 1, 2009
At the same time, average of a wee bit over 1 hour a day for every xbox live gamer... seems fairly reasonable to accomplish. Especially considering people I know who do so much more.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
THESE KIDS! ALL WASTING THEIR HOURS PLAYING THEM VIDEO GAMES!

BACK IN MY DAY, WE'D HAVE MADE YOU ALL SPEND 1 BILLION HOURS A MONTH IN THE FACTORIES!

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:

BACK IN MY DAY, WE'D HAVE MADE YOU ALL SPEND 1 BILLION HOURS A MONTH IN THE FACTORIES!
I agree, and not just because your avatar is hypnotoad.

Sn1P3r M98

May 30, 2010
I wonder what the statistics are for Minecraft...

Still, a billion hours a month is very impressive.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

Ok, that made me laugh :)

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I'm curious to see what the numbers are for World of Warcraft. I know plenty of people with well over a solid year played at this point, and a few others with nearly two years played. No doubt there are people with much more, given that it's been out for six years.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
SomethingAmazing said:
Oh, that was me. Sorry.

I kind of went on a Halo Reach kick for a while there. Still pondering on when to sleep.
Precisly, my good man.

OT: Well its the little stones that roll together that become an avalanche, just like you said the hours add up and I for one am not suprised at this number.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

Got a good laugh out of that!

thethingthatlurks said:
A billion hours a month wasted on Live? It's no wonder we can't find a cure for cancer...
Do you know how many people use Xbox Live? Add it all up and you can see it happening. And I doubt people who use Xbox Live could help find a cure for cancer.

This is understandable. See, if you pay, you will PLAY!

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Nouw said:
thethingthatlurks said:
A billion hours a month wasted on Live? It's no wonder we can't find a cure for cancer...
Do you know how many people use Xbox Live? Add it all up and you can see it happening. And I doubt people who use Xbox Live could help find a cure for cancer.

Now, now. If the obnoxious twits on Xbox Live were used for medical testing.... Oh the possibilities, and none of the guilt!

I agree though, with that now $60 fee per year, your conscious demands that you make that subscription worth that brand new game you passed up! My very last Live subscription for the year consisted more of me kicking myself for wasting the cash than actually using the multiplayer.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Nouw said:
thethingthatlurks said:

Now, now. If the obnoxious twits on Xbox Live were used for medical testing.... Oh the possibilities, and none of the guilt!

I agree though, with that now $60 fee per year, your conscious demands that you make that subscription worth that brand new game you passed up! My very last Live subscription for the year consisted more of me kicking myself for wasting the cash than actually using the multiplayer.
Excellent idea sir!

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:

Oh god, you have no idea how much I'm laughing.

And Hypnotoad is awesome.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
Only 40 hours a month?
Onyx Oblivion said:

Ok, I laughed. Well played, good sir. :D
Sn1P3r M98 said:
I wonder what the statistics are for Minecraft...
OH GOD.