Playing Kinect Games Early Breaks Xbox Live

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Playing Kinect Games Early Breaks Xbox Live

If you own a Kinect-compatible title right now, you may want to resist the urge to play it.

Imagine this scenario: Your little sister has been waiting for Kinect [http://www.amazon.com/Kinectimals-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0J8RQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288392876&sr=8-1] itself won't be released for another week. Seems harmless, right? Sure, if you don't want to play Xbox Live for a week.

Even if you somehow own Kinect and a Kinect game already, putting the disc in your Xbox 360 could restrict your access to Xbox Live. Attempting to play a Kinect game at the current time will prompt your Xbox 360 console for an update. If you hit "continue," it will download an update that isn't an actual update, repeatedly fail at downloading another update, and lock you out from being able to sign in to Xbox Live until the true Kinect update goes live on November 4. In other words, no Halo: Reach [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1288393637&sr=1-1] multiplayer for a week.

I wouldn't feel as bad for the people currently putting Kinectimals in their Xbox 360's if they were actual pirates, thieves, or any other kind of unsavory character. In this case, retailers have actually been shipping out copies of the game early, which could lead to a tough situation that is in no way the average consumer's fault. At least it's just a week, and probably not a very common situation.

If this happens to you, it might be time to fire up the PS3, Wii, DSi, PSP, or PC. But hey, once Kinect does eventually go live, you'll be able to pet the hell out of a virtual feline cub to your heart's delight. Just try to not let the overwhelming desire to do so shut down your, or your family's, online experiences for now.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/28/psa-got-a-kinect-game-early-dont-stick-it-in/]

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
Well, Id assume that you DO need an update to use Kinect.

But arent the new Xboxs Kinect Ready? Is this an issue with them, or not?

I dunno if MS did this on purpose, but its bloody brilliant either way. A defiant SCREW YOU to the people who got one early.

Jul 22, 2009
Oh that sucks...

I suppose they need the new dashboard, cause according to my beta dashboard I should have no problem playing Kinect.

Hope word gets out so not too many people get stuck!

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Just for comparison, the patch to enable Move on all PS3s was released two and a half months before the device was available in any store, let alone arriving early due to shipping snafus. IIRC, that patch actually came out only weeks after the official reveal and naming of the device.

Only relevant to the narrow subject of comparing the two networks ongoing evolution. It happened this way this time; I'm not asserting it will always be thus.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I want Kinectimals so bad! It would be so worth not playing online for a week!

EDIT: Oh crap, that was a terrible, terrible typo...

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Well that will suck for anyone who got an early copy.

When I read the title I thought this would be about the cause of certain Live features not working likes whats been happening to mines. Occasionally it can only can view friends and play online. Am I the only one getting this?

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
SomethingAmazing said:
You guys are making a bigger deal of Kinect than it actually is.

Barely anyone is going to buy this piece of crap. Anyone who was remotely interested in motion controls already bought a Wii and hated it.

Kinect will undoubtedly fail.
Just like the Wii did? The Kinect's audience isn't us, people who post on gaming forums. No, they are after your mom and little sister, The non-hardcore gamer. Just because you don't want it, doesn't mean that there aren't people out there who do. ]

OT:I don't think I can wait one week to pet a wild tiger! The risk of death at every pet of the man-eater.

Eicha

Oct 7, 2009
Broken Orange said:
SomethingAmazing said:

Barely anyone is going to buy this piece of crap. Anyone who was remotely interested in motion controls already bought a Wii and hated it.

Just like the Wii did? The Kinect's audience isn't us, people who post on gaming forums. No, they are after your mom and little sister, The non-hardcore gamer. Just because you don't want it, doesn't mean that there aren't people out there who do. ]

OT:I don't think I can wait one week to pet a wild tiger! The risk of death at every pet of the man-eater.
You, sir, have the most amazing avatar.

On topic: That's just weird. o_O Then again, I am of the group that believe that this whole motion-control malarkey is going to blow over.

Nedoras

Jan 8, 2010
Well, that sucks I suppose. But it's only a week without online(and only if you try to play a Kinect game), and at least you can still play games right?(minus the Kinect games) On a side-note, does anyone else think that those animals look waaaay more creepy than adorable?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
SomethingAmazing said:

I still love my Wii since the day that I bought it, I even dumped my 360 because I barely used it. In your words, I hated it.

OT: On the bright side, you can play other great games that aren't necessarily multiplayer, like Vanquish or Ensalved. Those cuddly/creepy kinectimals can wait to be rubbed until next week.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Hmmm that's a bummer. Or it could be an ingenius plan by Microsoft!

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Well that's a shame. I've been waiting so long to play Kinectimals since it's announcement. Having it in my hands and not being able to play it is like torture.

To be honest, this really doesn't surprise me.

Shifty Tortoise

Sep 10, 2008
Oh boohoo, i wouldn't be able to play games online for a week. It's hardly the end of the world, barely even news worthy.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
So in other words, Microsoft is punishing the scarce few people that are actually excited to play Kinect? Looks like they'll be receiving the eager-cleaver to that week's entertainment as those same people regret the 48 hours of Kinect-fun compared to the grueling hours of the remaining multiplayer lock-down.

Kinectimals! WEEEEEE!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!! ... *Dammit I wish I could play Reach again*

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Uber Waddles said:
But arent the new Xboxs Kinect Ready? Is this an issue with them, or not?
They have ports on the back to support it better than the older ones, but the Kinect software will only work with the new dashboard update. Putting in a Kinect game will install an older version of the new dashboard if you're still using the "old" one - probably the version that was current when the games were sent to manufacturing.

That version won't be able to connect to Xbox Live though, so it'll try to update, but the update isn't live yet. Those consoles are then stuck in Xbox Live limbo until the patch that will update their consoles to the "current" new dashboard is up for everyone to download.

I'm sure that the update will be live before the games are supposed to go on sale. Unfortunately, this is probably one of the few times that breaking the release date on a game really has negative effects.

Though if your console is in the dashboard beta program, I'd guess that the Kinect games would run on it just fine. It's just the people running the current dashboard that will have problems.