WoW Lore Nerd Becomes WoW Character

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
WoW Lore Nerd Becomes WoW Character

The "red shirt guy" who carved himself a slice of internet fame at Blizzcon last week has been rewarded with immortality as a character in the upcoming Cataclysm [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Battle-Chest-Mac/dp/B000H96C9M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1288624351&sr=8-4].

A brief recap, in case you missed it: During a Q&A at the Quest and Lore panel at Blizzcon last weekend, a clearly nervous but nonetheless determined young chap stumped Blizzard Vice President of Creative Development Chris Metzen [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104742-World-of-Warcraft-Lore-Nerd-Wins-Blizzcon] with a question about Falstad Wildhammer and the Council of Three Hammers. He then corrected Metzen's off-the-mark response with authority, leading Metzen to eventually throw Lead World Designer Alex Afrasiabi under the bus for the whole thing.

It was a classic awkward-funny moment and now Blizzard is using the Cataclysm expansion to make sure it'll never be forgotten. An image posted to the official WoW forums [http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27509091494&sid=1&pageNo=1] indicates a new addition to the staff of Falstad Wildhammer, the subject of the RSG's question: A diminuitive, red-shirted "Wildhammer Fact Checker."

Is it legit? It seems like the sort of thing Blizzard would do but the image was met with considerable doubt until the question was settled by none other than Afrasiabi himself, who silenced the debate with two simple words: "It's real." [http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=27509091494&pageNo=2&sid=1#26] So congratulations, Red Shirt Guy, wherever you are. You've earned it.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm comes out on December 7.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
This is great. I don't play WoW anymore, nor any other Blizzard game, but I love them for doing stuff like this. Congrats, Red Shirt Guy.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
Kudos to that guy. I am just not that cool to have read all the books and studied all the lore on WoW.

Nice to see Blizzard do something for that guy, it's one of the reason I still keep my WoW account.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
SO I'm horde... Which means rather than saying congrats to him, I'll be seeing how often I can cleave his head in two XD

This will be interesting

Yggdraz0r

Jun 7, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
SO I'm horde... Which means rather than saying congrats to him, I'll be seeing how often I can cleave his head in two XD

This will be interesting
Cheers for clearing that up :p!

I always *from the start of hearing this thing about the Red Shirt Guy* assumed it was located in the Throne Room of Black Rock Depths, but you mentioning Horde has made me realise its actually in Ironforge... serves me right for not following anything Spoiler related to Cataclysm then! :x

leeloodallasmultipass

THE Fifth Element
Mar 23, 2009
Its not currently in the Beta, as they haven't corrected the NPC in question, but its soon to be updated to beta. that's why a lot of people were unsure about it being genuine.

Myrph

Proud owner of a Jamtroller
Oct 27, 2009
Epic Win! I may never play WoW, but you can't help but respect the way they treat their community.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Have to say, awesome move is awesome. Nice one, Blizzard. This is the kind of PR that just pays off.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
That was probably the happiest moment of his life. And that is kinda sad, really. But whatever floats his boat. We can't all love the same things and have the same aspirations. Overall if something makes a person happy it's good news. We would all like to be characters in a game or a movie or even a book I believe.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
That's adorable...

... in a cringe-inducingly nerdy sort of way.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
Fully awesome - congrats to Red Shirt Guy.
I don't play WoW, but this article filled me with nothing but cheer!

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
... was this the non-critical update that happened this morning? ¬¬

Or isn't he on the beta yet?