Supreme Court May Be Proving Point By Hearing CA Law

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Supreme Court May Be Proving Point By Hearing CA Law

An attorney believes that the Supreme Court may be hearing the Schwarzenegger vs. EMA case because the states just aren't "getting it."

The fight for further regulation of videogames has already cost taxpayers in the U.S. a buttload of money. Every time such a law is heard before the courts, it has lost and, even more compelling, the courts have awarded the Entertainment Software Association its legal fees reimbursed for a total of $2 million. But still, laws are being written which attempt to regulate the videogame industry, like the California bill proposing a large sticker denoting a game's "violent" content and a fine of $1000 for any merchant selling such a game to minors. This law has already been deemed unconstitutional by a local court and the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, but it will get its final review tomorrow. The Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS) receives applications for 10,000 cases a year and only hears about 100 of them. The decision to hear each case is an important one, and Attorney S. Gregory Boyd thinks that it might be preparing to strike down the CA to prove a point.

"There is a lot of buzz in the legal community about why the case was taken up by the Supreme Court at all," Boyd writes. "Remember, the case is competing for roughly one hundred oral argument spots among ten thousand applicants. Is it that all of the other courts have gotten it wrong?"

Or, Boyd speculates that the SCOTUS might be hearing this case in order to set the precedent nationwide that videogames enjoy all of the freedoms that books, movies, and other pieces of art do in this country. "The Court could see that, clearly, the states are not 'getting it' with the other cases," writes Boyd. "They know this type of legislation has already cost the state taxpayers more than $2 million in reimbursed legal fees."

Perhaps the message that the SCOTUS is trying to send lawmakers is: Stop trying. The videogame industry does a good enough job regulating itself with the ESRB ratings. Lawmakers need to stop trying to do it for us; all it does is cost your constituents money.

Along with the rest of the videogame industry, I anxiously await the decision of the Supreme Court, and I hope that Boyd has got it right.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6191/video_game_regulation_and_the_.php?page=3]

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I think the Games Industry will be ok. These are clever guys that know what gov't regulation does to an industry. Especially when that regulation makes one entertainment type more regulated than other types, for example the film industry.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I, too, hope that Boyd is correct. And if he is, maybe we can put this mess behind us for good.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
On the one hand I'd be happy if Boyd is indeed right on the ball with this one, as it certainly would send a powerful message to the entire nation that the arguments against video games are overall useless, and that the nation should stop clogging up the courts with such nonsense laws.

On the other hand, I wonder if there was another way the Supreme Court could send this message without having California spend ferviously or without ignoring another potentially important case.

radarbsm

Aug 30, 2009
I do hope he is correct. I still hope that the supreme court hears both sides of the issue and gives a fair judgment.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
I did think that when the decided to hear it but dismissed it as not thinking the Supreme Court would hear a case just to say No. If this was the case it would seem that they have already made a decision on this and it is somewhat a waste of time but 1 waste of time to prevent the next 50 may be a senxsible solution.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
lacktheknack said:
I, too, hope that Boyd is correct. And if he is, maybe we can put this mess behind us for good.
Ahahaha! Oh, you kill me. Don't you know that video games are evil and dangerous? You know that, instead of being mass-produced, each individual disc is shat out by Hitler down there in Hell and shipped up to Earth by the souls of dead babies?

We're never putting this behind us, man. As long as there is fear to be wrung from gullible idiots, gamers will be "the enemy" and games will be on trial. It'll come around again in some form or other.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
I honestly didn't think about it this way, but that's actually brilliant. I hope Boyd is right.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
JeanLuc761 said:
I honestly didn't think about it this way, but that's actually brilliant. I hope Boyd is right.
That doesnt sound brilliant to me at all unless I'm reading into it wrong.

The courts are teaching the states a lesson, using taxpayers money. So when the state loses, the taxpayers also lose because they've to foot the bill of it, including those taxpayers who would oppose the idea of state controlled video game ratings.

Maybe it if was Arnie and his buddies footing the bill, it would teach people a lesson about trying to do this sort of thing.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
If only it was that easy, I really do.

Well if the law goes through then I just have to lay my hopes on Dice, Massive and Crytek.

May 25, 2010
SonicWaffle said:
lacktheknack said:
Ahahaha! Oh, you kill me. Don't you know that video games are evil and dangerous? You know that, instead of being mass-produced, each individual disc is shat out by Hitler down there in Hell and shipped up to Earth by the souls of dead babies?

We're never putting this behind us, man. As long as there is fear to be wrung from gullible idiots, gamers will be "the enemy" and games will be on trial. It'll come around again in some form or other.
Yeah, but what if that fear eventually disappears? I think it's going to happen someday.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
its still so weird that states keep trying ot make laws against this games like this since there is no real money in them like speeding tickets and really it just costs the states money when they have to pay the legal fees for the esrb

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
...They could of been on our side this ENTIRE TIME? They know that this in no way follows the first amendment and that it would destroy the gaming industry but are only hearing it to lay final judgement on this matter?

This is the best (rumored) news that I have seen all day! :D

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
Yeah, but what if that fear eventually disappears? I think it's going to happen someday.
Put it like this - we've had movies and TV for how long? People still complain about them. Too violent, too much sex, they rot kid's brains, they inspire people to murder and rape, they glamorize all kinds of crime. The fear is still there. Movies still get banned, uptight assholes still write in to complain about the content of TV shows. The fear never goes away, it just lurks under the surface until a new outlet appears, and then all the paranoia is unleashed.

Games, I think, are even worse due to their interactive nature. Well-meaning but ultimately foolish people believe that acting out these things is even more destructive to the minds of poor, innocent children than simply watching them on TV. Wait until a truly horrible, gory, violent game comes out with Kinect - it'll be "This game is not only teaching children to murder, it's showing them the precise way to do it! Evil! Eeeeeevil!".

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
THANK YOU! Finally someone breaks through the pessimism to reveal a beacon of light. Personally I'd like to sue my Governor for all the tax money that he's wasted on this stupid crusade.