Facebook Punishes App Maker For Selling User Data

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Facebook Punishes App Maker For Selling User Data

Facebook has clobbered Ravenwood Fair maker LOLapps [http://www.lolapps.com/] with a harsh penalty for selling user data to advertisers, cutting the developer off from its "viral channels" for six months.

It came out a couple of weeks ago that a number of leaking user IDs [http://www.facebook.com] to online advertisers and data trackers in violation of the social network's privacy policies. Facebook quickly suspended several of the offending apps, including all those made by LOLapps, although the games were reinstated less than three days later. But now it's dropped the hammer again, this time in a more meaningful way, by cutting off nearly all of LOLapps access to viral channels for a period of six months.

The suspension means that users of LOLapps games will not be able to make wall posts, send invitations or share content within the feed of any its titles. One LOLapps game escaped the falling axe: Critter Island [http://www.facebook.com/RavenwoodFair], on the other hand, which pulls in 1.3 million users, did get cut off.

LOLapps was apparently singled out for the lash while other developers just got a warning because it was actually selling user information to advertisers rather than just inadvertently leaking it. It may be a split hair for users who feel their privacy has been violated, but Facebook took the matter seriously enough to deal out some pretty harsh punishment. As Gamezebo [http://www.gamezebo.com/news/2010/11/01/facebook-slaps-huge-penalty-against-lolapps-all-apps-and-games-except-ravenwood-fair] noted, "Facebook can make your game with its social network, but it can break a game by removing its viral channels with the flick of a switch."

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
They deserved it, I'm glad. Kinda strange seeing Facebook give out this punishment, given the various user data incidents that have happened in the past..... Meh :)

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
I can't look at Facebook in the same way after The Social Network. I keep imagining the actor playing Mark Zuckerberg to call them and say "You deserved that." and hanging up only for the developer to find out the consequences of what he's done. My god, it's weird.

Calumon: I'm glad I'm not on there. Jack says I need to be a secret. ^^

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
It's simple really you don't want your personal information out there? Stop using "free" social applications. That's how they make their money. It's no coincidence that the second you change anything on your personal information page you start getting innundated with tailored adds. Nothing is free, in this instance you're jusy paying by giving them access to your bio.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Glad they got taken down a peg, that kinda stuff is what generates the hatred for Facebook

Speaking of that, I can guess that's the kind of comments to follow

The Random One

May 29, 2008
SnipErlite said:
They deserved it, I'm glad. Kinda strange seeing Facebook give out this punishment, given the various user data incidents that have happened in the past..... Meh :)
This is exactly why they're doing it. Because people now think Facebook will spill their data over anyone who asks they have to act tough on those who do because if they don't people will think they're supporting them. It's the silver lining of companies being dicks.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
The Random One said:
This is exactly why they're doing it. Because people now think Facebook will spill their data over anyone who asks they have to act tough on those who do because if they don't people will think they're supporting them. It's the silver lining of companies being dicks.
Silver lining indeed, I'm just glad the punishment is being handed out =]

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Heh, I've actually played both Ravenwood Fair and Critter Island. Largely because friends needed help with them. Now I have some concerns over whatever data they may have mined from my account. Could not have been much as my privacy settings have always been pretty strict. Wonder what LOLapps is thinking about this one.