Metallica Coming to Black Ops Launch Event

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Metallica Coming to Black Ops Launch Event

Activision has brought in none other than Grammy Award-winning headbangers Metallica to appear at a Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Playstation-3/dp/B003JVCA9Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1288672072&sr=8-2] launch event taking place on November 4.

Call of Duty: Black Ops doesn't actually come out for another week but Metallica [http://www.activision.com].

"We are honored to have Metallica partner with us to pay tribute to the brave servicemen and women who have risked their lives at war only to return home to find their biggest challenge is searching for a job," said Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick. "Today, the unemployment rate for veterans is 21 percent higher than the rate for all Americans, with veterans' unemployment topping 500,000. We believe that the business community can and should do more."

Activision Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96021-Activision-Donates-1-Million-to-Veterans-Foundation], creating the million-dollar foundation to "support other groups that assist veterans with their careers." Say what you will about Bobby Kotick, the obvious benefits for Activision of appealing directly to soldiers and veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars and even how Metallica hasn't been cool since 1998, but it was a pretty classy move and the publisher's continued support of veterans is admirable.

Members of the Metallica Club can win a pair of tickets to the launch event by checking out the link at MetClub.com [http://www.metclub.com/]. Call of Duty: Black Ops comes out on November 9 for the PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii and DS.

Apackof12Ninjas

Oct 12, 2009
I remember when Metallica used to be awesome. Nice that their being charitable. But meh I still hate Lars with a passion.

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
That's kind of awesome... but heh i wont go to a videogame lauch even for Metallica

SnootyEnglishman said:
Metallica lost all their credibility during the Napster bit of the late 90's
Get over it.. it was 15 years ago

Fists

Apr 16, 2009
gee, I wonder why Kotick and metallica are friends... any common ground there?

also: yuck. $1M is pretty cheap for that publicity

cairocat

Oct 9, 2009
This is obviously a racist move, I always knew Metallica was racist against Halo.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I can only assume that this is to find fans that dled music illegally and punch them

deathyepl

May 9, 2008
In terms of video game fans, I'd be inclined to think this would alienate more fans than it would draw out.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Because Metallica will attract lot's of gamers. Strange move!

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
I would comment, but if you just look at the faces of the members of Metallica in that picture, I feel that my point comes across just fine.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i like that the guy who fires everyone ever is talking about the unemployment issue, and i find it a little strange that they would use a video game launch to preach about veterans, it used to be all about the game man.

Shale_Dirk

Mar 23, 2010
Reel Big Fish said:
Sell out!
With me, ah yeah. Sell out!
With me tonight.
The record company's gonna give me lots of money and everything's gonna be alright.

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
Not even Metallica, no matter how good they used to be, could coerce me to buy a Call of Duty game. I do support the helping of unemployed veterans though, so I think I'll just take the 60 dollars and send it straight to one of those help groups.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
Douchy CoD players who listen to "new" Metallica, they must claim to know games like they know music, ZING.