BlizzCon 2010: Cataclysm and the Future of WoW

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BlizzCon 2010: Cataclysm and the Future of WoW

World of Warcraft lead systems designer Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street talks Cataclysm, the future of WoW, and whether any other new MMORPG stands a chance.

Read Full Article

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
The amount of work and changes in the amount of time they did it in is incredible and it definitely helps the game. They had to rechange everything. even the stats were screwed up so much they had to add the debuff dodge in ICC because the bosses were either a miss or instant-death.

Things are going to broke for a couple weeks, overall it'll be better more balanced game when they finish polishing things.

2500 new or improved old world quests.
1000 new 78-85 quests.

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
I must say that World of Warcraft players really do not seem to require much in the ways of variation to keep their interest up...

microhive

Mar 27, 2009
Ayjona said:
I must say that World of Warcraft players really do not seem to require much in the ways of variation to keep their interest up...
Nope. Just the good ol' social experience will keep our interest.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I'm on a break now, but I will defiantly start playing again when Cata hits.

Damn those starting zones sounds so bloody awesome!

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
redmarine said:
Nope. Just the good ol' social experience will keep our interest.
I wish that was the case for the majority of WoW players ;) Definitively the best reason to play any MMO.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Aw man. Ghostcrawler just had mentioned the same damn worry that I've been stressing out over the last week when making my own game (run time between points). I feel so fucking professional now.

Ranorak said:
I'm on a break now, but I will defiantly start playing again when Cata hits.

Damn those starting zones sounds so bloody awesome!
Come back now. This goes for the lot of ye. The end of the world is beginning and the world event is pretty freaking cool, it ending with you getting a glimpse of Cho'Gall's hideously deformed self (he has 8 eyes, not all on his head!) And soon Deatwhing himself will be coming around and killing players across the whole world.

Plus, if you're gonna want to join an endgame guild or something, there's very little competition right now. That won't be the case after Cata comes out.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
for all of the hate ghostcrawler receives, I think he's great.

I also liked the part where he said that even if WoW lost 80% of its subscribers it'd still be a huge success in the industry, a statement I've been plugging for some time. It would be devastating, but not enough to actually kill WoW.. WoW's unkillable.

unwesen

May 16, 2009
I consider myself a WoW old-timer, though I haven't really played for a long time.

One thing that comes to mind when reading about cataclysm is that it's cool that they make changes to existing areas. Another thing that comes to mind is that it's awful that they make changes to existing areas. There's something to be said for experiencing new things, and something for going down memory lane (like, for example, I can still play Monkey Island in this day and age, in just about the same way as when I was younger. And I will, from time to time.).

I wish they'd use the phasing tech they're using more now to let players choose which version to play through, or something along those lines.

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
In regards to new MMOs...

I think the only viable strategy is to come out with something really, really well and then, if you can keep the players, expand upon it.

Aye. Don't pull a FFXIV, and come out with something terrible and promise to fix it later while giving people free months to keep them playing your incomplete pile of dung.

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
I love Ghostcrawler. People blame him for a lot of shit, but really, most of his decisions pan out. Those that didn't at least deserved to be tried.

Articles like this make it very hard to focus on HW instead of eating up all the new stuff in Azeroth.

darkdots

Oct 8, 2010
"... the Future of WoW..." <--When they shut it down, I'm gonna have a party, invite everyone and NINJA LOOT THE BEER, and kick everyone out. /whoo-hoo!

BioTox

Nov 19, 2009
darkdots said:
"... the Future of WoW..." <--When they shut it down, I'm gonna have a party, invite everyone and NINJA LOOT THE BEER, and kick everyone out. /whoo-hoo!
Well, you're going to be waiting a long time for that dream. I don't think WoW is going anywhere soon. LoL I actually like GC. He's a decent guy and the changes in Beta are sweet. I walked through Orgrimmar just drooling... The new start zone are amazing and the list goes on. The only problem I see is like GC said, "What do we do now?"

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I'm really temped to return to WoW, I only have vanilla WoW and I left right after The Burning Crusade went live. I never bought any of the expansions and I hope Blizz doesn't make us buy the old expansions, only Cataclysm to enjoy the new level cap and the new races.

Moriarty

Apr 29, 2009
John Funk said:
GS: They're living off in time. We did not give the graphical updates to those battlegrounds that we did to the rest of the world, so it would be a good thing for us to do. Battlegrounds are very, very sensitive to geography changes and you have to be extra careful that there's not a bump or tree stump that's going to block movement or create any unnecessary imbalance.

TE: You've been running Alterac Valley, haven't you?

GS: The new battlegrounds - you have no idea! - we measure every little thing so often. "OK, what's the run time from this graveyard to this exact point?" If we don't, it's a huge headache down the line.
if they measure everything so accurately, why the hell is the alliance able to take stables several seconds before we can attack the farm? :q

Rogue 9

I, Jedi
Jun 22, 2008
Thanks for posting the full interview, it was a really interesting read. I'm looking forward to seeing where Cataclysm takes Garrosh, since in my opinion (and the opinion of most people I know) Garrosh went from an annoying emo in BC to an annoying psychopath in WotLK. I'm still not sure if I'll be able to forgive him for making Trolls second class citizens though... I hope Vol'jin kicks his arse good and proper.

oathblade

Aug 16, 2009
"GS: I think the quest designers have gotten really, really clever in doing that. In the new Undead leveling experience in Silverpine, you're still really low level but Sylvanas has selected you - you're obviously someone that's going to do a lot in life (or death, or whatever). She takes you under her wing, and you're running missions for her and fighting alongside her at points and it's a pretty epic experience."

This is my problem with the concept revamp, their stealing Age of Conan's concept of YOU are the ONE chosen one. Yet so is the guy next to you. And the next guy and ad infinum. This isnt an 'epic' experience its a bad one because I cant feel like any of it is areally happening to my character. So its just making me act out someone elses story and try to come up with what my character has been doing all along.

The new Worgen and Goblin areas are awful with this sort of thing. I dont need Thrall to be my character's bestest buddy to like him. because it really hurts flow when later he cant remember who I am because it wasnt scripted that way.

Wow is sinking into a dark age of storytelling where their telling their story and we are being forced to go along instead of being able to tell ours in their world.

"TE: In Cataclysm, there's this renewed tension and fighting between the two factions. Do you feel that they were getting too buddy-buddy?

GS: Absolutely"

if they gave people options for betrayal, faction changes, being neutral, and so on I might be for this but Im not that enthused about them trying to force conflict and hatred into the game.

When they were talking about aldor and Scryer and joining sides in the outlands away from azeroth in the BG I loved the whole concept .. it was a way to grow away from the 'I hate you just cause' line. Theres too much of that in the real world. Id like to escape endless armed conflicts fueled by generations of hatred - not be pushed face down into it.