Don't Let Resident Evil: Damnation's Teaser Lick You

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Don't Let Resident Evil: Damnation's Teaser Lick You

The teaser trailer for Capcom's CGI Resident Evil: Damnation is slobbery, and teases the inclusion of a significant new character.

The Resident Evil films must be performing well in all of their incarnations, because a fifth live action movie was confirmed earlier this year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103415-Resident-Evil-Star-Confirms-Fifth-Movie] as was a new fully-CGI film called Resident Evil: Damnation. G4TV recently got its hands on Damnation's first teaser trailer, which may show the addition of a popular Resident Evil protagonist.

Damnation is the follow-up to Resident Evil: Degeneration, Capcom's previous CGI Resident Evil effort that was released in 2008. Degeneration featured Resident Evil 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-4-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B000P46NKC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288795150&sr=8-1]'s Claire Redfield, with Kennedy returning in Damnation. Claire Redfield may not be reprising her CGI role for Damnation, but her older brother could be taking her place.

As we can see from the teaser, Leon is caught in a "European warzone," but the warring human factions are the least of his worries. Leon will also have to contend with Resident Evil's Lickers, so the Umbrella Corporation is likely up to no good in the region. At least he can shoot them out of the air before they land on his face.

The teaser earns its name at the end, where we see a shadowy soldier-type standing amongst some firey ruins. Leon aims his weapon at the mysterious man, and the man returns the favor. My first instinct is to say that this is Chris Redfield, an OG of the Resident Evil series that appeared alongside Jill Valentine in the very first game. He's likely raising his weapon to take out all of the lickers about to lick Leon. Otherwise, it could be Wesker, or some other male Resident Evil character.

Degeneration could have fared better critically, but Capcom still considers it a success with over 1 million in home sales. Damnation will hopefully raise the quality bar. The film is projected to come out in 2012, with a 3D theatrical release announced for Japan.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Looks awesome, I love to see how far this series has come. And, I cannot get enough of Leon. He was my first and favorite of the Resident Evil cast.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I never saw Degeneration, but this does look interesting. The shot at the end depicting Leon surrounded by Lickers gave me the chills. I fucking hate lickers.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Soylent Bacon said:
WARNING: Degeneration looked pretty cool too, but it sucked hard! I would only recommend Degeneration if you want to make fun of it, and I have a strong feeling this movie will be the same.

Also, this article's title makes me cry.
Funnily enough, I liked Degeneration more than the live action RE movies, as I found it more of a "Eh, ok" movie rather than the "If I don't watch this and MST3K it, I will slowly go insane" movie like the live action ones (at least the first 2. The third and fourth, which was the first film I saw which showed a promising use for 3D in terms of exaggerating the popular trend of matrix style slow down sequences as well as making rapid movement feel sort of disorienting in a good way rather than shaky cam, had some nice action sequences in them to make them at least fun when the characters weren't trying to focus on plot).

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Hmm, that doesnt really look like Chris Redfield... and he does appear after it says "The worst evil is about to be unleashed", and I dont think Leon would A) Turn away from a group of Lickers unless there was a more immediate threat than them or B) Aim at Chris Redfield given that they already know each other and are on the same side.

However, if they are bringing a old Protagonist back I vote Billy Coen! He is awesome! :D

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Lol for a minute there I though it was a zombie driven tank. Still I am only instrested in Damnation if it's a buge improvement to Degeneration (the only things I remember how bad Degeneration was the animation and the bad dubbing). Also wasn't that other guy at the end look like Wesker? Although I highly doubt it was him.

Jeralt2100

Jun 9, 2010
The beret looking shadow over his head, plus the weapon he's carrying...Nope. I'm betting Krauser. Depends on the timeline for this movie obviously, but Chris and Leon have zero history.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
I decided to Netflix the RE live action movies for a laugh. Wow did they throw out the canon. WOW!

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
I see they haven't fixed Leon's face rendering from Degeneration. Please Capcom, please go back to the model from RE4 that didn't make him look all weird and potatoe-y. Ah well, lickers are neat. And yeah, that's totally Chris. It would be cool if it were Wesker or Krauser, but it's not. Too skinny for Krauser and when was the last time you saw Wesker with anything larger than a silenced pistol?

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Soylent Bacon said:
Delock said:
Soylent Bacon said:
WARNING: Degeneration looked pretty cool too, but it sucked hard! I would only recommend Degeneration if you want to make fun of it, and I have a strong feeling this movie will be the same.

Also, this article's title makes me cry.
Funnily enough, I liked Degeneration more than the live action RE movies, as I found it more of a "Eh, ok" movie rather than the "If I don't watch this and MST3K it, I will slowly go insane" movie like the live action ones (at least the first 2. The third and fourth, which was the first film I saw which showed a promising use for 3D in terms of exaggerating the popular trend of matrix style slow down sequences as well as making rapid movement feel sort of disorienting in a good way rather than shaky cam, had some nice action sequences in them to make them at least fun when the characters weren't trying to focus on plot).
The live action movies had the generic, mindless action crap, but Degeneration was just...SO corny...which I guess is pretty faithful to the series, but I can't play Degeneration!

I just can't take scenes like this seriously. It has to be the number one, most unintentionally silly scene I've ever seen.
Yeah, my biggest problem with Degeneration was that I kept curling my hands into a controller holding position at points.

As for that, you haven't seen many horrible scenes, have you?

and this http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Narm/Film

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
I hated Degeneration for one main reason out of the other reasons to hate it.
The G-Virus Tyrant talks near the end of the movie

I'm not expecting much from Damnation when I see it.

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
I pray to GOD that that guy was Barry :3... NOT CHRIS >_< But considering the live actions movies suck, and Degeneration was alright the this might be a good watch!

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
That looks like it might be fun to watch, and if that really is Chris at the end then HOLY CRAP! It's the first time in Resident Evil history that Chris and Leon have actually been shown on screen together.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Strife2k7 said:
The beret looking shadow over his head, plus the weapon he's carrying...Nope. I'm betting Krauser. Depends on the timeline for this movie obviously, but Chris and Leon have zero history.
Was surprised so few considered it could be Krauser. I'm guessing this is set before Resident Evil 4 and might be where Leon knows Krauser from (I guess they might have history before then but... who knows).