Shogun 2: Total War Story Trailer Demands a Leader

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Shogun 2: Total War Story Trailer Demands a Leader

Someone needs to reunite Japan under one banner. Will it be you?

The year is 1477. The old Shogunate that dominated feudal Japan has fallen, leaving the hungry local warlords - once held in check by a greater power - to vie for dominance. With war ravaging the land of the Rising Sun, the Japanese people are suffering the consequences. Now, after decades of conflict, the only way for the strife to end is for a particularly brilliant leader to take his skilled warriors and cow the others into submission.

Might as well be you, right?

The Escapist's Steve Butts took a look at The Creative Assembly's Shogun 2: Total War back in September, and he thought it was shaping up quite nicely [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/8097-Shogun-2-Total-War-Campaign-Preview]. Yes, this trailer weighs slightly on the "cheesy" side, but it's a nice mixture of cinematic content and in-game footage, and it's enough to get me excited for the 16th-century-samurai-themed RTS, which is slated to hit shelves next year.

I mean, it has ninjas [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/2140-Shogun-2-Total-War-Assassination-Trailer]. What more do you want, huh?

(via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/11/04/new-shogun-ii-story-trailer-released/])

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it love it

I am waiting till Black Friday to build machine I will be using to play this...

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
I feel a bit... underwhelmed. That was an ok trailer, but I don't really feel psyched for the game or anything. I think it was the narrator's fault. :/

Or it could just be that Total War games just don't interest me anymore. :(

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Er, 16th century? You just said 1477?

Cousin_IT said:
*spoiler alert* Tokugawa Ieyasu wins
Not if I have anything to say about it! Go go gadget rocket elephants! [sub]Shit, this isn't Medieval 2...[/sub]

Looks very awesome. Do want!

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
John Funk said:
dude, between your news and "Steve" i´m getting quite pumped for this games, it sounds amazing

I didnt even knew about the "total war" series untill I saw that little article of Steve, now i want to play it

has anyone on the escapist has played the "total war" series?? and what can you tell me about them!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
TheRightToArmBears said:

Cousin_IT said:
Not if I have anything to say about it! Go go gadget rocket elephants! [sub]Shit, this isn't Medieval 2...[/sub]

I also said "after decades of conflict," which would... put it in the 16th century :p

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
John Funk said:
TheRightToArmBears said:

Cousin_IT said:

I also said "after decades of conflict," which would... put it in the 16th century :p
You're right, dang nabit! Sorry, I'm far too tired to pay close enough attention to these things.

cardinalwiggles

is the king of kong
Jun 21, 2009
ahhh god damn it, as well as buying the game im going to get myself a pointy hat as well! i will become sthe shogun

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
icyneesan said:
Cousin_IT said:
Over Nobunaga Oda's dead body!

oh wait...
Hell, most civs are in the Industrial Age by 1477 in the "King" games I play. So Nobunaga's Samurai have already upgraded to Riflemen and he has Zeros in the skies. Tokugawa's toast!

Hahahaha

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
I cant wait i just set 2 weeks aside on my calender

i wonder if yatzee will finnaly reveiw a total war game

Obrien Xp

Sep 27, 2009
HentMas said:
John Funk said:
dude, between your news and "Steve" i´m getting quite pumped for this games, it sounds amazing

I didnt even knew about the "total war" series untill I saw that little article of Steve, now i want to play it

has anyone on the escapist has played the "total war" series?? and what can you tell me about them!
They're absolutely incredible, my favorite strategy series. The modding community adds much flavor to the games.

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
Was a fan of the total war series from Rome up until Medieval 2. I'll have to keep an eye on this one.

Novania

Feb 5, 2009
Is it just me or does the narrator sound like a cross between Japanese (Engrish) and a British accent? Or is that just how Engrish sounds?

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
I have been addicted to Japanese military history and strategic warfare games since playing Kessen, which came free with my PS2 when I was 10. I want this so much. So much it hurts.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Scobie said:
Oh, Mr Funk. You called Shogun 2 an RTS. I am very disappointed.

OT: After experiencing a couple of other strategy games, as well as the horrible disappointment of Empire, I'm seriously considering bailing on the Total War series completely. Shogun 2 isn't doing much to persuade me. The setting is alright, I guess, but it's no Three Kingdoms: Total War. And this trailer isn't firing me up either. It's not bad, it's just not . . . anything.

Oh well. I'll wait and see what people say about it when it comes out. If the news is really good I'll probably get it. But as soon as I get a whiff of the almost-inevitable AI/pathfinding problems I am gone.
Three Kingdoms: Total War would be the best!

Although I still enjoy the Warring States period, although I can't decide who I would play as; Chosokabe? Oda? Hojo? Takeda? Uesugi? Can't decide.

Also will this game feature scenarios that change the current warlords and armies of different time periods? Like for example one that focuses on Nobunaga's rise to power that has Imagawa and Azai and another scenario that has Toyotomi but doesn't have Oda, Imagawa, Azai etc?

Also this game better have the Batle of Nagashino, that would be so fun to play.