Nintendo Sounds Make the Ultimate Mario Costumes

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Nintendo Sounds Make the Ultimate Mario Costumes

How do you make a great Mario costume for your kids, complete with authentic sounds? You hack it.

Mario and Luigi were pretty popular costume choices for Halloween this year (I saw at least four or five people dressed as the characters over the weekend), but at one parent decided that his kids needed a truly authentic outfit if they were going to go as the Nintendo mascots. This, of course, meant that "Rob Hopeless" - a talented costume creator, technology enthusiast, and devoted dad - had to hack his kids' costumes:

This year the boys wanted to be Mario and Luigi. Kind of boring right? Well my wife didn't think they were ready for throwing real fireballs so we did sound effects instead. I wanted them to make the Mario jump sound when they jumped and be able to make the fireball sound too and maybe a few others. So I [took] a Wii Nunchuck, an arduino, a set of portable speakers and a birthday card to make this.

Rob used the accelerometer in the Wii Nunchuck to sense when his kids jumped (which triggered a corresponding sound) and also used the device to control the other sound effects. For the sounds themselves, he used a birthday card that can record up to four different sounds.

As you can see, the result is pretty great, and Rob should be proud of what he created. However, the man took it one step further and even posted a how-to guide for people who want to do the same thing. Not only is he classy, but he's also a nice guy. A more deserving member of the Escapist Costume Wall of Fame is tough to find.

Source: Rob Hopeless

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
My mom's very lucky I didn't find out about this when I was four.

I was such a demanding child...

Dec 14, 2009
Damn kids! Why do their dads always build them cool shit! I don't care that I'm 23 and old enough to build my own awesome costume!

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Christ, all these kickass costumes are putting a lot of pressure on me to make my eventual Spartan armor over the top awesome...
... if I ever get to it.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Neat, that is definitely better then the crappy soundless Mario Brothers costumes I see every year...

btw

GUNS GO PLINK!

Daft Ghosty

Sep 25, 2010
Another word for this man would be Awesome! =) Going to save the how to guide for future use for sure =)

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Wow, those are some spiffy threads!

I have the urge to bring out my NES now.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Definitely one of those toys where you're glad the kids are having fun with it, but you're SOOOOO relieved when they finally get bored of it.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
I have an app for my android phone that's similiar. Makes the jump sound whenever the sensor senses jumping. Or the coin sound, if chosen.