Rumor: Martin Sheen & Sally Field to Star in Spiderman Reboot

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Rumor: Martin Sheen & Sally Field to Star in Spiderman Reboot

Rumors are swirling that Hollywood old guard stars will play Uncle Ben and Aunt May in the Spiderman reboot.

Martin Sheen has been in so many films that it's almost hard to pick his iconic roles. My first introduction to him was as the troubled Captain Willard in Apocalypse Now but many people know him as President Josiah Bartlet on TV's The West Wing. Gamers probably best know Sheen as the voice of The Illusive Man in BioWare's Mass Effect series but he may just get some more geek-cred if he signs a contract to play Peter Parker's Uncle Ben in the new Spiderman reboot. The Hollywood Reporter, er, reported, that he is currently in negotiations to do just that. Spiderman is in pre-production now as it prepares to shoot. Directed by Marc Webb and written by James Vanderbilt who most recelty penned another comic book adaptation The Losers, the movie is expected out in 2012.

Sally Field [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000398/] has had a decidedly different career. My mom loved her as The Flying Nun but she won a couple Oscars for Norma Rae and Places in the Heart (proving that we all really love her). Since then, Field has definietly excelled at motherly roles, including Forrest Gump and her most recent turn as Nora Walker on the TV series Brothers and Sisters. Hollywood Reporter said that Fields is in early talks to play Aunt May in Spiderman.

If the casting of both Sheen and Field works out, then that mean we will have some serious star-power for Uncle ben and Aunt May. That's a huge contrast to the Sam Raimi Spiderman films, where Uncle Ben was important, but almost non-existent on screen and Aunt May was not as omnipresent as she could have been (although she did appear in all three films). The focus on Uncle Ben and Aunt May confirms that the new storyline will focus on Peter Parker in high school as Spiderman. It would make sense for the new casting of Ben/May to have established stars as the main cast seems to consist of newcomers and unknowns.

Andrew Garfield is Peter Parker, Emma Stone is Gwen Stacy and Rhys Ifans is playing an unspecified villain. If you think any of those three names can sell a movie, then you need to take Hollywood 101. On the other hand, those three names next to Martin Sheen and Sally Field on the poster might put a few more butts in seats come 2012.

Of course, it's fricking Spiderman, so people should just come out to see it anyway, but it never hurts to stack the deck some serious star talent.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/sally-field-talks-spider-man-35864]

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
First Emma Stone, now Martin Sheen? I'm getting excited about this movie. Although I don't know why they didn't just let Emma play MJ since she's a natural redhead but whatever.

Anyway, Martin Sheen is so awesome that awesomeness meter should be called "Sheen meter". Of course he should never be confused with his son Charlie. The apple has fallen far from the tree.

HigherTomorrow

Jan 24, 2010
Pretty sure Rhys Ifans is playing the Lizard.

Really hope this works out, and I'm really hoping they don't mess with how the story of the comics originally went. Mary Jane before Gwen Stacey? My ass.

EDIT: ^ I think Emma didn't play MJ because she didn't really have the personality of MJ. In all her movies she plays a "punk" kind of chick, which more fits Gwen Stacey in the Ultimate Spider-man continuity.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Okay, now I'm mildly interested as opposed to being totally scared.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I found Cliff Robertson an excellent Uncle Ben. But then there wasn't enough of Uncle Ben around in the first movie to really appreciate what he tried to do for Peter. I think Sam tried to go for what Richard Donner succeeded with in Superman between Johnathan Kent and Clark. And missed.
It's pretty much a given here that Martin Sheen will do great as Uncle Ben. It kinda surprises me though that the studio is actually willing to fork up that kinda cash for a reboot.
If Sally Field comes on board they better do better with Peter this time around.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
do we really need a reboot to this franchise? Why are people spending money on rehashing old ideas to death? Let me guess...Peter Parker gets bit by a radioactive spider and becomes a selfish wanker for a bit, Uncle Ben dies, Peter decides to fight crime because it's "the right thing to do". Seriously, why not spend money on something original for once? I've seen this before. Several times. For twenty years. Countless comic book reboots, several cartoons and a movie series. Does anyone really want to see yet another telling of the same damn story?

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
I'm totally going to go pay to see this, because it clearly isn't just a way to suck more money out of dorks who don't have the willpower to boycott it.

Until people stop paying for this crap, they're going to keep doing it over and over. Everyone complains about Hollywood pumping out Superhero movies, and everyone complains about Hollywood pumping out remakes, but everyone still buys a god-damned ticket.

In two years, they're going to start pumping out the Iron-Man, Thor, and Avengers remakes.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
BloodSquirrel said:
JamesBr said:
do we really need a reboot to this franchise?
After Spiderman 3? Yes. Please yes.
Why? One bad (and frankly it wasn't bad, just spread too thin) movie isn't an excuse for a reboot. If anything else, it's proof that we need to come up with new ideas. I guaranty someone could probably make an amazing, flawless Spider-man movie, but it won't be anything new. It'll be the same ground tread over and over again wasting perfectly good movie, time and film that could be used to produce either an original IP or (if you're feeling uncreative) a movie based on a character we haven't seen before.

Apr 17, 2009
It's Spider-Man! Not Spiderman! Do not ignore the hyphen!

Sorry, give me a minute to suppress my inner nerd (guy's kind of a jerk). Oh I think I heard that Rhys Ifans was going to be the Lizard. Is that right? If so it's nice they're not using a villain that was already in the original Spider-Man films

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
Hrmm... whilst Martin Sheen is awesome, the fact that he's Uncle Ben makes it seem like an orgin story. Let's face it, there isn't a person alive that doesn't know even the basics of Spider Man's origin, and I'm sick of seeing it. Just start in medias res, folks.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Hmmm, under normal circumstances I would gladly reject another sorry reboot. But due to my unequivocal loathing of the original Spiderman movies, hey, why not. Maybe these new movies will be more "Iron Man" rather than 1990's camp. The casting already sounds worlds better and I feel good knowing that if I were to see this reboot, I wouldn't want to punch the protagonist every time he opened his Mary Sue mouth.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
No Sheen don't do it! The movie is poison! It'll be the end of you!

And I damn well can't have them change TIMs voice in Mass Effect 3!

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
SelectivelyEvil13 said:
Hmmm, under normal circumstances I would gladly reject another sorry reboot. But due to my unequivocal loathing of the original Spiderman movies, hey, why not. Maybe these new movies will be more "Iron Man" rather than 1990's camp. The casting already sounds worlds better and I feel good knowing that if I were to see this reboot, I wouldn't want to punch the protagonist every time he opened his Mary Sue mouth.
Yes, because every decision Peter Parker makes, the movie treats like the right thing to do. Like the time when he decided to give up being spider-man so he could improve his personal life, or when he continued to wear the black suit despite acting like a dick. Oh wait, the movies treat these decisions as a mistake. you don't need to be dark and brooding like batman, or a jerkass like iron man to not be a Mary sue. I don't understand why some people seem to have a problem with heroes like that. Also i don't really understand how the 2nd movie was camp. The 3rd movie i could agree with you on, but i don't see it in the 2nd one.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
If Spiderman heads more in the direction of the current Batman movies, that'd be freaking awesome. With that said, dunno if they can pull it off.