Rumor: PS3 Version of Mass Effect 2 Includes DLC, New Mission [UPDATED]

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: PS3 Version of Mass Effect 2 Includes DLC, New Mission [UPDATED]

The first Mass Effect never made it to the PS3, and it seems like BioWare is doing everything in its power to make up for that with the release of Mass Effect 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5YW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1289152981&sr=8-3].

PS3 owners may be looking at a veritable banquet of extras when Mass Effect 2 hits the console next year. Aside from the game itself, the disk will apparently contain a number of pieces of DLC, as well as a brand new mission, said to last around six hours.

These details come from an interview that Mass Effect 2 project director Casey Hudson gave to German PS3 magazine Play3, which found their way on to the BioWare forums [http://social.bioware.com/forum/4/topic/81/index/5170462] via community representative Nathalie Edelmann. According to the interview, the German "Uncut" PS3 version will include the Kasumi - Stolen Memory, Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC packs, as well as the aforementioned new mission. Also included is an interactive comic which is either called "Dark Horse," or by Dark Horse, and sounds like it allows PS3 owners to make some of the choices they missed in the first Mass Effect, as well as getting them up to speed with the backstory.

It's not clear at the moment whether these extras are specific to the Uncut version in Germany, or whether this will be the standard on every PS3 version. We also don't know if this new six-hour mission is exclusive to the PS3, but we've reached out to BioWare for more information, and hopefully will be able to update you soon.

In a separate interview, this time with Play3's website, BioWare co-founder Greg Zeschuk talked about some of the differences between the two versions from a technical point of view. He said that probably the most notable was the difference in the how each console handled graphics. He made it very clear that it wasn't a case of one console being better than another, but said that there would be some graphical differences between the two versions.

Mass Effect 2 comes out for PS3 in January.

UPDATE: BioWare has cleared up the confusion surrounding the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 in a post on its forums [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/5188310&lf=8]. The disk will contain the game, the three DLC packs, an interactive comic by Dark Horse, and the Blood Dragon Armor that came with Dragon Age: Origins. BioWare also shot down the idea of a new six-hour mission on the disk, saying that something had been lost in translation, and that the six-hour figure actually referred to how much more gameplay the DLC added.

Source: via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=274164?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

cubikill

Apr 9, 2009
I all ready own Mass Effect 2 for my 360, but I think I might get it when it comes out of ps3.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
I still don't get it why they can't just port the original Mass Effect over to the PS3, instead of creating entire new sections for Mass Effect 2 that the Xbox and PC players will miss out on. Not to mention that creating what now appear to be 2 separate story line for different versions of the game is not a good idea at all.

Not to mention that no amount of new content will make up for the fact that they releasing a sequel to the PS3 without releasing the original.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

Besides, I'm sure I'm the odd one out here, but I think the first one was more enjoyable. The second one was too... cheesy. I mean, the first one was, but that cheesy had a charm. The second didn't.

Nobody try to convince me otherwise with endgame stuff, though. I'll admit, I haven't beaten it yet (in fact, I haven't touched it in months).

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
I still don't get it why they can't just port the original Mass Effect over to the PS3, instead of creating entire new sections for Mass Effect 2 that the Xbox and PC players will miss out on. Not to mention that creating what now appear to be 2 separate story line for different versions of the game is not a good idea at all.

Not to mention that no amount of new content will make up for the fact that they releasing a sequel to the PS3 without releasing the original.
You just sortof answered your own question, did you not? Since the Ps3 isn't getting the first Mass Effect, being published by Microsoft n' all, there needs to be some sort of compensation for the year and a half or so of waiting for the 2nd game to be ported. And how would it be "two separate storylines"? It's the same storyline, just told in a different way because the PS3 isn't getting the original Mass Effect.

But whatever, awesome for PS3 owners, though I am probably going to get Mass Effect for my PC if it's for sale on STEAM some time.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Hardcore_gamer said:
I still don't get it why they can't just port the original Mass Effect over to the PS3, instead of creating entire new sections for Mass Effect 2 that the Xbox and PC players will miss out on
because of micro$oft's lil' whiny bitching

please refer to this article:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102878-Microsoft-Mass-Effect-Not-Ideal-On-PlayStation-3

Jul 22, 2009
teh_Canape said:
because of microsoft's lil' whiny bitching
Fix'd

OT: Well good to see PS3 players getting a great series ^_^ I hope the mission isn't exclusive though so I can play it when I finally get round to downloading all the DLC...

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
I still don't get it why they can't just port the original Mass Effect over to the PS3, instead of creating entire new sections for Mass Effect 2 that the Xbox and PC players will miss out on. Not to mention that creating what now appear to be 2 separate story lines for different versions of the game is not a good idea at all.

Yea, I know the overall story will remain the same, but just think of the confusion that might start once Xbox and PS3 players start to discuss parts of the story only to find out that they don't know what the other player is talking about because of the minor differences between what happens at the start of the game in both versions.

Not to mention that no amount of new content will make up for the fact that they are releasing a sequel to the PS3 without releasing the original which was a stupid move to begin with.
It took them almost exactly 1 year to port ME 2 to the PS3. It's more complicated then simply changing a few lines of code here and there. Why would Bioware waste the manpower and resources bringing ME 1 over? Financially, it would make no sense to Bioware. Sure they'll be able to sell ME 2 at $60 because they are including all this DLC and extra stuff, but they wouldn't be able to do the same for ME 1. Not mentioning that the game is now 3 years old, and hasn't aged all that, Bioware would have to sell the game for peanuts...IE It wouldn't be worth it from their standpoint.

Edit: Not to mention you then have to deal with all the legal mumbojumbo with Microsoft. Too much work, time, and money for something that while making fans happy would return almost nothing to Bioware is why ME 1 isn't going to happen on the PS3.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Screw that, I want a 360 version with the DLC on a physical disc. Along the lines of GoTY edition of ME1.
Then I'll pay money for it, good money damn it, like I did with the first game!

Jul 22, 2009
ImprovizoR said:
They should have just ported both games. Microsoft are a bunch of douchebags.

Damn straight! I mean it's not like Sony won't port Little Big Planet or Killzone!

Shame on Microsoft for being so different!!!

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy - I didn't know about this until now.

Although, I do have to wonder - is it essential I play the first Mass Effect before playing the 2nd, or can I enjoy 2 just as much, regardless of whether or not I played the first one?

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Just to clarify as Chris Priestly has commented on the BioWare forums about the "6 hour mission".

I want also to touch on the '6 hour exclusive mission'. This I believe is a communication error lost in translation. When we talk about 6 hours of content we are talking about what's included exclusively "On Disc" (Kasumi, Shadow Broker, Overlord), The Interactive Back Story and the Cerberus Network Access.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
SonicKoala said:
Oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy - I didn't know about this until now.

Although, I do have to wonder - is it essential I play the first Mass Effect before playing the 2nd, or can I enjoy 2 just as much, regardless of whether or not I played the first one?
It's not essential, but the second is a much less immersive game if you have not played through the first.

Scde2

Has gone too far in a few places
Mar 25, 2010
Hmm...Interesting.

Mass Effect 2 is pretty much the only game that I have played on my 360 this entire year.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
Ye-heesssss awesome
Always liked the look/sound of Mass Effect 2, im definitely getting this when its out.