Rumor: Kratos Coming to Soulcalibur IV

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Rumor: Kratos Coming to Soulcalibur IV

Sony's iconic God of War character is potentially joining the PlayStation 3 Soulcalibur IV cast.

Quartermann, Electronic Gaming Monthly's rumor investigator, claims in the magazine's August issue that Kratos, the violently heroic lead character of God of War, could be appearing in the PlayStation 3 release of Namco's Soulcalibur IV. Creating a Soulcalibur Kratos will require cooperation between Sony and Namco to share artistic assets in order to create an authentic character representation.

Soulcalibur IV has already seen Star Wars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/80537] additions for both the PS3 and Xbox 360 courtesy of LucasArts, with Sith lord Darth Vader invading the PS3 and Jedi master Yoda leaping onto the Xbox 360. Darth Vader's apprentice, Starkiller (or Darth Crashdown, if you prefer), who will be starring in LucasArts's Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, appears on both systems.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 will get mythological or intergalactic gladatorial combat on July 29.

Source: 1Up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3168394]

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Churchman said:
So, is Soulcalibur trying to make itself into a rival to Super Smash bros?
Its already better in my opinion (but I am a sony fan-boy), but throwing in other characters never hurts....until you find out you need to play up-teen hours to unlock them :/

Godheval

Aug 23, 2007
I really hope that this isn't just a rumor. Kratos would be a natural addition to a fighting game, especially Soul Calibur, which already has Greek mythological elements in Hephaestus, who appears to Sophitia. The timeline may or may not work, but I'm sure that's not the point.

But you know...then as I continued to read this entry, and saw that there would be STAR WARS characters in SC4, I suddenly lost ALL interest in the game. I despise Star Wars with an unholy passion already, but putting its shitty characters in Soul Calibur is just annoying. Star Wars is like a virus, and its fans are like the insects that carry it and infect the world.

ENOUGH already - emphasis on the UGH.

slaygore

Mar 6, 2008
If Kratos is coming for the ps3, then what's the 360 going to get since it's only fair that they each get 2 exclusive characters. Unless Namco is supporting ps3.

Churchman

Jun 21, 2008
sms_117b said:
Churchman said:
So, is Soulcalibur trying to make itself into a rival to Super Smash bros?
Its already better in my opinion (but I am a sony fan-boy), but throwing in other characters never hurts....until you find out you need to play up-teen hours to unlock them :/
Ive never played both, but I found most people like SSB because of the idea of getting well known nintendo mascots to inflict pain on each other, and it seems like Soulcalibur is doing the same, but with more general pop-culture mascots.

Synangel

Jun 20, 2008
Gahars said:
Cool.

So, now we guess what guest character the 360 gets.
Lets see, the equivalent of God of War for Xbox... uh. no idea.
but please don't have master chief or the arbiter XD. the master sword doesn't have that many techniques.... unless u watch that one MC VS Samus aran video lol.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
slaygore said:
If Kratos is coming for the ps3, then what's the 360 going to get since it's only fair that they each get 2 exclusive characters. Unless Namco is supporting ps3.
That's what I thought the second I saw the title.

R31NDR

Apr 8, 2008
Who says the 360 has to get anyone? It's like GTA4 having exclusive DLC on the 360, it could be a way for Sony and PS3 owners to get their own exclusive, just a thought

Jarmanator

Apr 25, 2008
If its true, then I don't see why the 360 version couldn't have Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden. Well, other then Tecmo having a fit cos he belongs in another quite well known fighting game but whatever.

Hes the Xbox's Kratos imo.

Godheval

Aug 23, 2007
Lucky Noob said:
Maybe 360 gets Alien from Alien Hominid
That'd be awesome, and might just be enough to offset my disappointment about Star Wars characters.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Godheval said:
I really hope that this isn't just a rumor. Kratos would be a natural addition to a fighting game, especially Soul Calibur, which already has Greek mythological elements in Hephaestus, who appears to Sophitia. The timeline may or may not work, but I'm sure that's not the point.

But you know...then as I continued to read this entry, and saw that there would be STAR WARS characters in SC4, I suddenly lost ALL interest in the game. I despise Star Wars with an unholy passion already, but putting its shitty characters in Soul Calibur is just annoying. Star Wars is like a virus, and its fans are like the insects that carry it and infect the world.
Really? As soon as I read that I had this image of Kratos ripping Yoda in half and stomping on his head. Which was awesome and I wish I could mind-meld with the internet so others would see it.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
I have to agree that the Star Wars culture tends to dissipate everywhere, but I have nothing against Yoda and Darth in SoulCalibur. I just think Kratos makes a whole lot more sense, and personally think it would be especially cool controlling him.

On the other hand I have to lament his most likable absence in the 360 version and wonder who might show up. Please don't let it be the Master Chief. Maybe...someone from Mass Effect?

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
The game gets released in a month...A MONTH there's no way they're gonna tack on an extra character right now for the PS3 with out even leaking a similar rumor about another exclusive character for the 360...no, I doubt Kratos will be in the release

DLC though is another story.