NY Times Probes Hot Coffee Legal Fees

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
NY Times Probes Hot Coffee Legal Fees

An article in the Hot Coffee [http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/technology/25settle.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5087&em&en=7bf44f57c19908e9&ex=1214452800] lawsuit, and suggests the settlement could be scuttled as a result.

The settlement in the case, which was brought as a result of a modification to claiming [http://www.rockstargames.com/sanandreas/] the value of their representation at just over $1.3 million, or 3774 percent of the settlement amount.

The game has sold over 8.5 million copies in the United States alone since its 2004 release, yet only 2676 purchasers filed claims. "Am I disappointed? Sure," said lead lawyer Seth R. Lesser. "We can't guess as to why now, several years later, people care or don't care. The merits of the case were clear."

But the merits of the case apparently aren't so clear to Theodore H. Frank, director of the Legal Center for the Public Interest at the American Enterprise Institute [http://www.aei.org/] and Overlawyered contributor. Commenting on the settlement, he said, "There are two possibilities. Possibility one is they have a meritorious lawsuit and they're selling out the class for attorney's fees. The other possibility is that, and frankly I think this is the more likely possibility, they brought a meritless lawsuit that had no business being brought to court at all."

Frank is attempting to have the settlement declared invalid, although Lesser recently filed documents claiming Frank has no basis to challenge the terms of the settlement because he did not take part in the suit itself. If the settlement, including attorney's fees, isn't approved by a federal judge, the case could still go to trial, which may very well lead to a clear victory for Take-Two [http://www.take2games.com] and yet ironically could end up costing the company considerably more as a result of greatly increased legal costs.

"We certainly wish the case had never been brought and we certainly wish we could've litigated it on the merits and achieved a victory," said Jeffrey S. Jacobson of the legal firm Rockstar Games [http://www.debevoise.com/] in the case. But settling the case was much less expensive for the company than fighting it in the courts, he said, which could have added up to millions of dollars in costs.

The settlement is likely to stand, according to Mary J. Davis, a law professor at the University of Kentucky [http://www.uky.edu/], who said it's unusual for judges to set aside such settlements. She said judges who review settlements like this are expected to ensure the agreements are reasonable, but are not supposed to impose their opinions on the terms of any deals. Regardless, she described such huge lawyer's fees in cases involving relatively tiny settlements as "sort of backwards," adding, "It doesn't typically go that way."

The best argument against the plaintiff's lawyers fees, meanwhile, may come directly from the defendant's lawyers themselves: While Lesser and his fellow attorneys are chasing down a $1.3 million payday, the legal team representing Take-Two Interactive was able to handle its end of the case for less than $30,000.

Via: GamePolitics [http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/06/25/ny-times-probes-legal-fees-hot-coffee-class-action-settlement]

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I guess it gets lost in the translation but this is an enormous gain for video game lovers.

The fact that the lawyers launching the class-action failed to get anyone interested will deter these kinds of lawsuits in the future. Not to mention that the lawyers responsible are probably going to take a heavy financial loss for their efforts and possibly even be punished for filing a merit less claim.

This is kinda huge to...well, I guess not many people BUT STILL! Kick ass!

Adanux

Jan 16, 2008
L.B. Jeffries said:
I guess it gets lost in the translation but this is an enormous gain for video game lovers.

The fact that the lawyers launching the class-action failed to get anyone interested will deter these kinds of lawsuits in the future. Not to mention that the lawyers responsible are probably going to take a heavy financial loss for their efforts and possibly even be punished for filing a merit less claim.

Uhm... I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean that it's great for video game publishers then you're correct. However, for the video game consumer this is an enormous loss. Take the the way EA is currently handling Rock Band peripherals as an example.

As of now, EA is fucking over every person unlucky enough to purchase drums for Rock Band. They're doing this by continuing to make and ship faulty drums that are essentially guaranteed to break during play. They're also enforcing a warranty policy of 60 days from the original purchase which means that if your drum set breaks after 30 days they'll take a week or more sending you a new set. Then, when your drum set breaks again in another 30 days you're SoL. This will most likely continue until someone raises a class action lawsuit against EA, and if that doesn't happen because lawyers don't think they'll turn a profit than drummers will continue to be screwed over.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Adanux said:
Uhm... I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you mean that it's great for video game publishers then you're correct. However, for the video game consumer this is an enormous loss. Take the the way EA is currently handling Rock Band peripherals as an example.

As of now, EA is fucking over every person unlucky enough to purchase drums for Rock Band. They're doing this by continuing to make and ship faulty drums that are essentially guaranteed to break during play. They're also enforcing a warranty policy of 60 days from the original purchase which means that if your drum set breaks after 30 days they'll take a week or more sending you a new set. Then, when your drum set breaks again in another 30 days you're SoL. This will most likely continue until someone raises a class action lawsuit against EA, and if that doesn't happen because lawyers don't think they'll turn a profit than drummers will continue to be screwed over.
I think your point and mine failed to meet somewhere about 2 miles back.

This is a class-action lawsuit for unreported sexual content in a video game. It has bombed. That's good because developers won't have to worry about being sued for "objectionable content".

You're talking about faulty peripherals and hardware. It's a completely different area, much more plausible, and there are already several underway against Microsoft and a few others. The same applies to buggy games.

Nov 28, 2007
Adanux said:
L.B. Jeffries said:

EA has nothing to do with Rock Band. At all. That would be Harmonix and Red Octane you're thinking of.