Black Ops Team Invades GOG Headquarters

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Black Ops Team Invades GOG Headquarters

Oh no! An elite black ops team has broken into the GOG offices [http://www.gog.com/en/news/hot_news_someone_broke_into_gog_com_office/0] and stole its top secret plans for future launches! What could it mean?

Icewind Dale [http://www.gog.com], earning back the trust and love of gamers around the world who were left hurt and angry by that "going out of business" debacle a couple of months ago. But that's all at risk now thanks to a covert black ops team that broke into the GOG offices last night and stole its eyes-only plan for future releases. What the sinister mastermind behind this operation intends to do with this ultra-valuable information remains unknown, but fortunately GOG was able to intercept video of the entire operation as it unfolded. The search for clues is underway as we speak.

For those feeling the gentle sting of confusion, this is actually just the latest PR stunt from GOG, the digital distribution outfit that sets the standard for crazy, cheesy, downright loveable marketing. A lot of people will no doubt disagree with the last part of that assessment when it comes to GOG's infamous announcement that it was incredibly ill-conceived idea [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103601-GOG-com-Closes-its-Digital-Doors] to attract attention to its emergence from beta. GOG quickly apologized for that mess with a hilariously awful video featuring two monks seeking penance for their sins; some folks are still a little touchy about the whole thing but others, myself included, appreciate GOG's willingness to throw common sense and sanity out the window in favor of doing whatever seems like a good idea at any given moment.

Now, of course, it's time to get on with the interesting theories and wild speculation that inevitably follows this sort of stunt. Is it simply a way to siphon off some attention from the hype over today's release of Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289333834&sr=8-1]? Is another big announcement on the way? Can we expect something stealth oriented - or steam oriented? Let the guessing games begin!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
System Shock 2?

I've heard good things, and I'm not going to run through hoops just to run it, so GOG would be great.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
I love these guys. I admit it, I'm a huge fan of the weird, off-beat, and inscrutable. Yes, I even liked the crying baby PS3 commercial.

I'm hoping it's something like Thief or SystemShock. For. Reals. I pick those two because it's just too much to ever hope they do the ultimate old school combo and snag X-Wing and TIE Fighter, with expansions. Just, way too much to hope...right?

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
System Shock 2?

I've heard good things, and I'm not going to run through hoops just to run it, so GOG would be great.
Wow, we sorta have a brain-vibe there. Either SS would work, imo. Or both. Yeah, make that both.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Them Poles be trollin' again. (Quite literally: check the wallpaper of their PCs)

Wild mass guessing over at the GOG forums: everything from the original CoDs to Thief. Even though it's most likely Baluer's Gate 2 up next. I'm guessing it's just GOG riding on the coat-tails of CODBLOPS' release, and the small fact that the PC version uses Steamworks, and because the attitude towards Steam on that forums is something of a running joke.[footnote]I'm trying to make it a running joke out of it, largely by posting "Steam is PURE EEEEEEEEEEEVIL!" when the Steam hating begins to flow.[/footnote]

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Delusibeta said:
Them Poles be trollin' again. (Quite literally: check the wallpaper of their PCs)

Wild mass guessing over at the GOG forums: everything from the original CoDs to Thief. Even though it's most likely Baulder's Gate 2 up next.
BG2 is (almost) certainly the next D&D game, not necessarily the next game.

But I do agree, the troll faces and references to Steam make me think that they're arsing about a bit with it.

jeremypeel

Nov 3, 2010
"Is it simply a way to siphon off some attention from the hype over today's release of Call of Duty: Black Ops? Is another big announcement on the way? Can we expect something stealth oriented - or steam oriented? Let the guessing games begin!"

A large dollop of both, I suspect. I also suspect the next game announcement is more likely to be Baldur's Gate 2 than anything stealth-related/tango-down related.

If it were stealth-/tango-related though, I'd love for Thief to re-enter the public eye too. Is the original Rainbox Six up on GOG yet? I'd be all over that like blockily-modelled SWAT teams over some half-arsed terrorism plot contrivance.

mogamer

Jan 26, 2010
Delusibeta said:
I'm guessing it's just GOG riding on the coat-tails of CODBLOPS' release, and the small fact that the PC version uses Steamworks, and because the attitude towards Steam on that forums is something of a running joke.[footnote]I'm trying to make it a running joke out of it, largely by posting "Steam is PURE EEEEEEEEEEEVIL!" when the Steam hating begins to flow.[/footnote]
Well, if you don't like the "checking with big brother" type of DRM, then Steam is pure evil. Valve pretty much started the trend of online verification with the creation of Steam.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Seeing the 'covert ops' thing made me think of Rainbow Six at first (is that old enough?), but watching the video it looks more like Thief.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
RandV80 said:
Seeing the 'covert ops' thing made me think of Rainbow Six at first (is that old enough?), but watching the video it looks more like Thief.
I would be happy either way.

And check the wallpapers on their pc. Edit: Dammit, ninjad.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
RandV80 said:
It's more than old enough, if Neverwinter Nights is an example.

My question is though, where is the GOG HQ at? If it's in the states, then that time is completely wrong.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I don't think it's Baldur's Gate 2. Why go to all this trouble to announce a game everyone knows (or at least assumes) is coming? And this is a little too focused for a fantasy RPG.

Thief is a good guess. It's too much to hope for - I mean, fucking Thief! - but it fits the motif, and it'd be great. Awesomely great. And if it is Thief, that means somebody somewhere made a deal with Eidos, which puts Deus Ex and System Shock 2 on the table as well. And if that happens, my head may just explode.

I got a laugh out of the trollface wallpaper, too.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Was this the same group that charged people their souls for a copy of a game a year or two ago?