Ignition's Cancelled Telekinetic First-Person Shooter Looked Boss

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Ignition's Cancelled Telekinetic First-Person Shooter Looked Boss

Ignition Entertainment's multi-million dollar Reich is dead, but leaked video shows that it could have been one of the company's best games.

Ignition Entertainment shuttered a number of its studios this year, saying it was switching over to a focus on digital distribution. The latest shutdown occurred with Ignition's Florida studio, which housed around 70 staff members. Though Ignition's titles have mostly received mixed-to-low reactions critically, its Florida studio's cancelled project has been revealed as something that might have been worth completing.

Leaks call the project Reich, a first-person shooter rumored to have burned through around $20 million up to its cancellation. Video of the project shows it to have a real-time physics system and large scale environmental destruction. It also has blimps.

The videos show a player destroying buildings with explosive weaponry in various environments, including the Lincoln Memorial. Reich's gameplay also included telekinetic powers that allowed players to pickup giant boulders and throw them through walls, or even into the maw of president Lincoln. These powers being used in tandem with weaponry are reminiscent of Bioshock [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-pc/dp/B000MK694E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1289489525&sr=8-3], but they still look hella good in one particular demonstration.

Anonymous sources said that the management staff of Reich "mismanaged the funds" as there was "no corporate monitoring on spending." Former Ignition senior programmer Matthew Farber said of the leaked video: "Force Unleashed [http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Force-Unleashed-Xbox-360/dp/B000R0URCE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1289489110&sr=8-3-spell] had nothing on Reich. I worked on this very version of the game. Everything you see is completely dynamic."

Reich may or may not have been able to make back its money at retail, but it's still sad to see a product with potential fall down the drain. Ignition's London studio was also shutdown while working on a game called Wardevil [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104691-5-Years-Later-WarDevil-Gets-Sent-To-The-Afterlife], making it and Reich two expensive projects that will never see the light of day.

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/36326/Leaked-video-Axed-Reich-project-showed-promise]

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Wow that looks incredible! If that is a mismanagement of funds then I say mismanage away!

EternalFenix

Sep 23, 2010
Oh yeah, it definitely would've sold well. The destruction looks smoother than Red Faction: Guerilla, at least.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'd have bought it.

I am such a sucker for telekinesis, that I seriously considered buying "Infernal". I didn't. But I considered it!

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Ugh. Whoever was playing in that second video needs to learn how to take cover or something. That constant flashing of red indicating that he was being shot at hurt my eyes incredibly. Take it from Yahtzee: "chest-high walls!"

Nevertheless, that game looked to have been a lot of fun, if not something that would have been at least partly original. The only other game I can think of with first-person telekinesis like that is Timesplitters: Future Perfect.

Damn, that looks like it could've been fun...

EDIT: Forgot about Second Sight, that game also had FPS telekinesis woobly-joobly like that.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Looks pretty fun, I'd play that.

(oh and I think you might have a typo in the first line; 'Ignition Entertainment shuttered a number of its studios this year')

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Why would they cancel a project with such potential? Oh well, maybe it can be picked up by a publisher at some point.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
That looked legendary!
But ofc such a project would be shut down unless it was being made by someone with enough $-bills to back it up.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
hell dnf blew 20 million and they had nothing to show for it :p reich seemed to have completely destructable actually built levels that looked darn good, some killer mood music, and functioning game play. hell if they were really mismanaging funds they should have gone to the beach had a party or something and done nothing looks to me like they were making a pretty good looking game.

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
I would play this.
And then die happy...

But that is apparently not going to happend.. :[

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
That looked very impressive. Such a shame that it won't see the light of day, unless another publisher picks it up.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Why on earth did they cancel this? Kinda reminds me of a mix between bioshock and a good red faction

WHY THE FUCK DID THIS GET CANCELLED?