Holidays More Important for Nintendo Than Sony or Microsoft

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Holidays More Important for Nintendo Than Sony or Microsoft

The CEO of Nintendo America said that the impact of Holiday sales is more important for his company than for other console manufacturers.

For many videogame companies, how your hardware and games perform during the Holidays can make or break your year. In fact, many companies jigger their fiscal calendars so that the Holiday sales are completely tabulated before the taxman comes knocking. But as Reggie Fils Aime, the public face of Nintendo here in America, said to investors at the BMO Capital Markets Annual Digital Entertainment Conference in New York yesterday, holiday gift-giving means a lot more for his family-oriented brand.

"The holidays are more important to Nintendo than to other manufacturers," said Fils-Aime. "We have a distinct edge when it comes to gift-giving, and it's no doubt because of the familiarity and recognition of both our brand and key franchises."

Fifty percent of all Nintendo's hardware sales in 2009 were purchased in November and December. "For everyone else that number was just over 40 percent," he said.

"The disparity on the software side is even greater," Fils-Aime went on. "For Nintendo platforms, 44 percent of all game sales came during November and December. For the rest of the industry, that number was only 33 percent." He expects the same thing to happen this year with hefty sales predictions for games like Donkey Kong Country Returns and Disney Epic Mickey for the Wii and Golden Sun on the DS.

Despite lagging sales of the Wii, Fils-Aime seems confident the brand will have a successful season, and hopes that Nintendo will have more cause to celebrate than the 25th Birthday of Super Mario Bros [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105102-Super-Mario-Bros-Birthday].

"The Nintendo difference continues to attract new consumers. For us at Nintendo, it's full speed ahead," said Fils-Aime.

Aye aye, Captain.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/31494/FilsAime_Holidays_More_Important_To_Nintendo_Than_Rivals.php]

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I always hear of someone I know getting a Nintendo made console for Christmas so I'd say Mr Filo Pastry is right:p

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
El Poncho said:
I always hear of someone I know getting a Nintendo made console for Christmas so I'd say Mr Filo Pastry is right:p
It's the cheapest option and economically how many people really want to get an Xbox 360 or PS3? His statement is daft.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Considering the weak line-up nintendo has had so far this year, I believe he is right that November and December sales will be high if you count in Goldeneye, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country Returns and Epic Mickey. Also, I would not be surprised to see many parents buying Wii Party for their kids for Christmas

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
manythings said:
El Poncho said:
It's the cheapest option and economically how many people really want to get an Xbox 360 or PS3? His statement is daft.
Making up excuses to counter him eh? I get the feeling you just don't like the Wii.

blarghblarghhhhh

Mar 16, 2010
mmmmm..... golden sun...... Nintendo would make more money from me if they released more high quality games for the ds. after golden sun, okami den and pokemon it doesnt seem like there is much left.

theaceplaya

Jul 20, 2009
Love the picture. Master Shiggy and The Regginator both eating cake together. AweSOME.

For record, I was planning to buy a DS Lite this year for myself at Christmas but you better believe I'm waiting for the 3DS now. I already have a Wii so I'll most likely be buying all the software I missed during the year, Galaxy 2, Red Steel etc.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
LeonLethality said:
manythings said:
El Poncho said:
Making up excuses to counter him eh? I get the feeling you just don't like the Wii.
I never knew applying logic to the universe was the same as making excuses.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Mackheath said:
Man, that picture looks tasty....

Oh, and uh...well, the reason the Wii's sales are lagging is because everyone, their dog and their mother own one.
I don't own one :eek:

And yes, that picture is making me hungry.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Mackheath said:
Man, that picture looks tasty....

Oh, and uh...well, the reason the Wii's sales are lagging is because everyone, their dog and their mother own one.
Reggie's eyes will STILL PIERCE INTO YOUR SOUL if you stare at them long enough.

OT: Well, of course. Although I find it hard to believe it's more important to Nintendo than Microsoft or Sony; I mean, aren't they trying to break into the stronghold that is the Wii's market share this year? I think that the holidays would be pretty important for them, too.