EA Whips Up Trio of New Indie Projects

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
EA Whips Up Trio of New Indie Projects

Warp is being developed by Trapdoor, a studio located in Montreal, and is billed as a "unique stealth action game." Details about the game are scarce, but a press release says Warp features "a top-down sci-fi world with a distinctive art style, addicting levels, hazardous traps and challenging puzzles." It's not a lot to go by, but is at least enough to make me want to see what the hell the game is. Warp is scheduled for release in Summer 2011 on XBLA, PSN, and the PC.

2D Boy's Ron Carmel recently said [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105157-2D-Boy-Gaming-Hasnt-Seen-a-True-Masterpiece] that he wants big publishers to set aside funds for riskier, more "indie" projects that fall outside of the mainstream. The initiative by EA Partners to seek out strong independent developers and attempt to bring their titles to a broad audience isn't quite what he was talking about, but it's close. Deathspank and Shank were pretty cool games, so I think we should all look forward to the possibility of these three new projects being pretty cool too.

Jul 22, 2009
Hooray :D Good to see publishers embracing indie titles for XBLA and PSN!

Shank and Deathspank were immensely good games... I'm really looking forward to seeing what these have to offer.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Sweet Jesus Monkey Balls...Fancy Pants Adventures on XBLA?! FUCK. YES.

To those who haven't played it, click on the link and sin no more. It's a perfect example of what a Sonic game could be, but best of all it's very simplistic and has a fun sense of humor. Very happy to see such a talented designer get props from a publisher!

Jimtopia

Slaving away over a hot laptop.
Oct 3, 2008
Oh hell yes, Fancy Pants adventures is such an awesome flash game series! I remember playing them for hours when they came out. Now I just have to make sure I get a 360 before Spring 2011.

Apr 25, 2009
I LOVE FANCYPANTS MAN!! :D

Such a great game. I sure am happy for the immensely talented Brad Borne, this is a big break for him!

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I fucking love Fancy Pants. That game is pure win, although I haven't played it in ages... TO THE INTERWEBZMOBILE!!!

Thorvan

May 15, 2009
Littaly said:
RowdyRodimus said:
So, they're not exactly Indie now, right?
That's what I thought ^^
Getting published does not mean you're not an independent studio. It means you're a GOOD independent studio.

And good on them, by the way. <3 Fancy Pants.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
They really need to license this song for Fancy Pants Adventure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeU1m55g4gc

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
RowdyRodimus said:
So, they're not exactly Indie now, right?
Nope they aren't. And with EA involved now, you can garentee they won't be like they used to.