SyFy Teams Up With Spider-Man Musical

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
SyFy Teams Up With Spider-Man Musical

The science fiction channel SyFy has forged a unique media partnership with Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark , the upcoming Broadway musical about everyone's favorite web-slinger.

The alliance makes sense at first, but seems to deteriorate the more one considers it: SyFy--formerly The SciFi Channel-- and Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark--the new Spider-Man musical, directed by The Lion King's Julie Taymor, with music by U2's Bono and The Edge-- have entered into what The New York Times [http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/] is calling a "media partnership." It boils down into an advertising and promotions agreement, with the musical being heavily promoted on SyFy, who in turn will receive tickets and promotional materials from the musical to use in its own contests and promotions.

The partnership appears to be fully in-kind, as no cash is changing hands, but it looks like Spider-Man is getting the better end of the deal. SyFy's senior vice-president for brand and strategic marketing Blake Calloway doesn't seem to agree, though, arguing that "it will also be a great way for us to entertain advertising clients and hold events related to the musical, and also associate SyFy with one of the great newly imagined properties on Broadway."

Calloway might be hitching his wagon to a pretty shaky star; Spider-Man is the most expensive musical ever produced, and has been plagued by the types of problems that accompany such a distinction: running out of money, increasing technical production concerns, injuring stuntmen, and pushing opening night ever further back. Then again, this venture may not be as good for the musical as previously considered: Something tells me that SyFy, "one of most-watched channels for young men," doesn't have the type of audience overlap that both parties here assume.

Source: The New York Times ArtsBeat [http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/11/11/spider-man-musical-teams-with-syfy-channel/]

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
*Throws up*

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS!?

SyFY is just awful, and why the FUCK would you make a SpiderMan musical!?

I can't think of one reason why ANY of this was a good idea...

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
Spiderman?

Musical?

Did someone swap my glasses? Because I can't be reading this right.

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
SYFY sucks ass, and how does Spider-man sing in his mask anyway? That makes about as much sense as the Superman musical.

Raregolddragon

Oct 26, 2008
You know I like the Scifi channel (by that I mean Stargate series, Eureka and Sanctuary)

But have they lost there fucking minds?

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Sorry, but did that subtitle read "Turn off the Dark"? How does one do that exactly? Okay, so by Turning on a Light seems like an obvious choice, but still, that seems like a rather daft name.

Anyway, seeing that is a thread related to SyFy, maybe I will take the opportunity to further lament the cancellation of Caprica, but that won't do any good right?

Feb 13, 2008
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
that SyFy, "one of most-watched channels for young men,"
Seriously? That's in a very low 4th behind Dave, Bravo and HBO.

And we'd given up hope on Bono, Spidey and Siffi ages ago.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I haven't been able to take SyFy seriously since they decided to stop being an abbreviation of "Science Fiction" and decided to instead become... I don't know... A Californian woman named some time in the eighties?

Throwing in their hat with the Spider-Man musical isn't exactly helping me take either enterprise more seriously.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
I'm going to go somewhere... I don't know where.... and then I'm going to cry.

tirone231

Jul 11, 2009
I actually got to see some of the behind the scenes work for this show when i went on a theatre trip to New York with my college. While the concept itself seems weak, my biggest concern is the number of villains being put in the show. While at the shop where they're making the costumes for the show, I saw a reworking of the Green Goblin, a larger than life Kraven the Hunter, a lesser known villain, Swarm, and a new villainess that had yet to be named. Apparently, the show needs to make as much money as The Lion King musical has to break even. Originally, Alan Cumming was cast to be Green Goblin, but dropped it when scheduling conflicts interfered. The Spider-Man outfit itself looks pretty cool, with a nice spider design.