Disney Closing the Money Bin for Console Development

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Disney Closing the Money Bin for Console Development

Console development isn't where the money's at anymore, says Disney CEO Bob Iger.

Disney is reducing the amount of money it spends on making videogames after losing nearly half a billion dollars over the last two years. Particularly affected will be console development, which Disney plans to scale back in favour of casual and social games.

Iger said that Disney had seen a shift in the videogame industry away from consoles, and had decided to go where the money was. He said that Disney's goal was to make its interactive division more profitable by reducing its investment in consoles and instead diversifying - albeit with a smaller spend - into alternate platforms like smart phones and social networks. Iger added that having John Pleasants - the former CEO of Playdom, the casual game publisher that Disney acquired earlier in year - at the head of Disney Interactive would be very important to the division's business going forward.

Disney owns a number of console gaming studios, including Black Rock Studio in the UK, which made arcade racer Split/Second [http://www.amazon.com/Split-Second-Playstation-3/dp/B002ACFYUM/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1289568271&sr=1-1], and Warren Spector's Junction Point Studio, which made Epic Mickey [http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Epic-Mickey-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002I0GEXM/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1289568298&sr=1-1]. It's not clear exactly where this reduction in console investment will happen, and it will largely depend on where Disney is losing money. If it's the tie-in games it publishes for its TV shows and movies like Hannah Montana or Pirates of the Caribbean, then we can expect to see those franchises transitioning to social networks and cell phones. But if it's the core titles that are underperforming - as the lackluster sales of Split/Second reported by NPD earlier in the year suggests might be the case - then Disney will understandably want to spend it's money elsewhere.

We might also see Disney continue to produce the same range of content as it did, but restrict releases to the consoles where the it's likely to have the most success. The tie-in game for Toy Story 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Toy-Story-Video-Game-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B0038MUCWS/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1289583273&sr=1-1] probably did a brisk trade on the DS and the Wii, but was likely overlooked by most of the PS3 or Xbox 360 audience. If Disney sunk a lot of money into developing for platforms like the Xbox 360 and PS3 - such as the PS3 exclusive content for Toy Story 3 - with very little to show for it, dropping support for those platforms, at least for some of its games, might be a great way for Disney to save money and minimize its losses.

Source: Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/disney-to-reduce-console-spend]

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
So they're gonna stop making video games now or not make as many? So the next mickey game should be 10 years from now or so?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
There isn't much money to make in video-games anymore, period.

Only a very small percentage of big name games make large amounts of money.
There's a difference between making large amounts of money and making a decent profit. Perhaps people should stop expecting to hit the back of the net with the first game in a new series.

What games has Disney actually published or developed recently though? I didn't even know they were publishers.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
Woodsey said:
Pirate Kitty said:

There's a difference between making large amounts of money and making a decent profit. Perhaps people should stop expecting to hit the back of the net with the first game in a new series.

What games has Disney actually published or developed recently though? I didn't even know they were publishers.
Kingdom Hearts.
When was the last one released?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
Woodsey said:
Pirate Kitty said:
Woodsey said:
Pirate Kitty said:

Kingdom Hearts.
When was the last one released?
September.
"Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep (キングダム ハーツ バース バイ スリープ Kingudamu Hātsu Bāsu bai Surīpu?) is an action roleplaying game developed and published by Square Enix"

Even ignoring that:

"The game has been well received, selling a large number of units in Japan shortly after its release, and receiving positive comments by video game publications."

bahumat42 said:
epic mickey and split/second are there other "big" titles
Well, Epic Mickey is being made by Warren Spector.

Mausenheimmer

Feb 11, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:

The same thing can be said of movies.

I think the last sentence in the paragraph is wishful thinking. Odds are we'll see an increase in games based off of popular franchises, since that would be most identifiable for casual gamers. Can you imagine how irresistible something like Peggle+Pixar would be for a stay at home mom?

P.S. I know it wouldn't BE Peggle, but just addictive casual games in general.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The last Disney games are actually preety good, Split/Second, Toy Story 3 and Epic Mickey. I hope that they keep doing this kind of games

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
Mausenheimmer said:
Pirate Kitty said:

The same thing can be said of movies.

I think the last sentence in the paragraph is wishful thinking. Odds are we'll see an increase in games based off of popular franchises, since that would be most identifiable for casual gamers. Can you imagine how irresistible something like Peggle+Pixar would be for a stay at home mom?

P.S. I know it wouldn't BE Peggle, but just addictive casual games in general.
Yet they don't get it either. Nintendo isn't doing "casual games". They are grabbing under-served markets. As they win the loyalty of each set they will raise the bar for the system and take all the market. Amazing long-term strategy! I don't think they need to do 20 years between each step but it is still working for them.

Stickey Jackson

Apr 20, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
Woodsey said:
Pirate Kitty said:

Kingdom Hearts.
Kingdom Hearts was jointly published with Square-Enix, who I believe took the dominant role, so I don't think that counts. Disney has said that they are still interested in lending their IPs for KH. I think that this scale back is referring to Disney movie/show based games, which I have seen a decline of.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Nope, they're right. Disney should should keep on exploiting their family friendly image by bastardising their entertainment with artificial tween celebrities.

Yes, they should do that. Maybe Disney should also spontaneously catch fire.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I just hope that they really do start focus on more Original titles.

Id love a new Spectrobes.

aaronmcc

Oct 18, 2008
Well they cancelled the Pirates game which looked frikkin sweet so they are a bunch of numpties. Of course people don't want to buy hannah montana goes to the supermarket FFS!!!

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
What did they expect? Make crappy games, get crappy returns.

I am a little sad that they're giving up instead of changing their approach.

I don't mind movie/merchandise games... if they're stand-alone. A new story. Something that expands the world. Not just a re-tread of what we already know.