PS3 Pirates Counter Sony's Anti-Piracy Counter-Update

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PS3 Pirates Counter Sony's Anti-Piracy Counter-Update

Sony's PS3 firmware update to foil the infamous PS Jailbreak has been itself foiled.

Back in September, Sony updated the PS3 firmware to version 3.42 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103273-New-PS3-Update-Kills-Jailbreak] in order to kill the functionality of PS Jailbreak, a USB mod tool that allowed users to play illegally copied games from the PS3's hard drive. It continued with version 3.50, which hit along with EA's Medal of Honor.

This wasn't enough to deter a determined pirate, however. According to Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/15/ps-jailbreak-gets-support-for-ps3-versions-3-42-and-3-5-is-no-f/], the makers of PS Jailbreak have updated the device to function with firmware versions 3.42, 3.50, "and beyond."

Honestly, this comes as little surprise - it's part of the ongoing war against piracy (or, if you're on the other side, the war against copyright law). One group develops a counter for the other's technology that works until the second group unleashes its counter-counter, rinse and repeat. Sony is undoubtedly going to release a new firmware update that stymies the PS Jailbreak yet again, until PS Jailbreak cracks that one, too.

Given that the release of FW 3.50 was rumored to be one of the reasons behind the impending release date [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104344-Gran-Turismo-5s-Concrete-Release-Date-Smashed] into a wall. Which, given how often that game has been delayed thus far, would just be part for the course, really.

If these determined pirates would only put their attention to other things, we'd probably be on Mars by now.

Update: Also according to Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/15/ps-jailbreak-gets-support-for-ps3-versions-3-42-and-3-5-is-no-f/], this will not actually function with games that require FW 3.42 and 3.50 - rather, it forces the PS3 down to the hackable FW 3.40. This only allows pirates to play older games, not the new ones that mandate the latest firmware.

So really, this isn't as much of a setback for Sony as it could have been - for now.

(Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/15/ps-jailbreak-gets-support-for-ps3-versions-3-42-and-3-5-is-no-f/])

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010

There's a reason most people don't report on when new Wii and 360 firmware gets bypassed, y'know. Looks like pirates are well and truly in through the PS3's door, and any claims that any console is pirate-proof can be thoroughly rubbished.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
John Funk said:
If these determined pirates would only put their attention to other things, we'd probably be on Mars by now.
Meh, I think we would be out of the solar system. XD

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Delusibeta said:

There's a reason most people don't report on when new Wii and 360 firmware gets bypassed, y'know.
Yeah, the PS3 has been a lot harder to crack, so this was news.

I can't wait to see the reaction from Sony, though. Entertainment shall ensue.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Expected. Very typical. Its always just a matter of time with this sort of stuff.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
poiumty said:
Soon: Pirates foil attempts to foil the attempts at foiling the attempts that foiled the attempts which foil the attempts....

...foiling the attempts to foil the attempts at foiling the attempts OF PIRACY!

Yaaaaargh!! They be after ye booty! and I not be talkin treasure either!...

Seriously that statement is full of win and fail at teh same time XD

Apr 28, 2008
John Funk said:
We might even have our damn jetpacks by now...

OT: Ah, the circle of life piracy. Where nobody wins, and both sides look like idiots.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Not really as they are independent of the corporation and conglomerated interests, once they become part of the system they get bogged down with being in the system and dealing with where its masters want to go.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
poiumty said:
Soon: Pirates foil attempts to foil the attempts at foiling the attempts that foiled the attempts which foil the attempts....

This statement made me laugh my ass off. Pretty much because it's simply disgustingly true, we'll have these headlines by the end of Februarry 2011

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
The pirates obviously have some good programmers on their side. If those guys actually used their skills for something good (as Mr. Funk noted) they'd be sure to make tons of money. Enough that they could afford to pay for the games, and wouldn't need to pirate them in the first place (hell, they could buy copies for all their friends too). I'm genuinely starting to think people like this just get their jollies from pissing off electronics companies.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
poiumty said:

*head explodes*

Great statement. Just...Confusing.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Prof. Monkeypox said:
The pirates obviously have some good programmers on their side. If those guys actually used their skills for something good (as Mr. Funk noted) they'd be sure to make tons of money. Enough that they could afford to pay for the games, and wouldn't need to pirate them in the first place (hell, they could buy copies for all their friends too). I'm genuinely starting to think people like this just get their jollies from pissing off electronics companies.
I'm partial to the belief that they most likely can afford the stuff, anyway, and are just doing it for the giggles and/or challenge of it.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
John Funk said:
Dude... Seriously... Too True and sad at the same time... I fucking hate them pirates.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
It's a vicious circle. An exercise in futility that only shows that this method of DRM isn't working. Stop investing in this failed scheme and get to work on something better, Sony, if you don't want people hacking your system.

xhable

Oct 17, 2008
These guys aren't trying to copy games for theft or personal gain, they are trying to subvert the system so that they can share games with their friends. The game companies business model is at fault if it relies upon people not sharing the commodity.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Misho- said:
John Funk said:
Dude... Seriously... Too True and sad at the same time... I fucking hate them pirates.
The Space Race finished..... ages ago. But, yes, space envy.

That large hadron collider thing would have worked 5 years ago if the Pirates had worked on that.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
So, why don't Sony fix the problem and hire the guys doing this? clearly they get the job done better.

MAYBE IF WE THROW MORE MONEY AT OUR CURRENT PROGRAMMERS, THEY'LL FIGURE IT OUT, HUR DUR.