It's Reality or Nothing for Six Days in Fallujah

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It's Reality or Nothing for Six Days in Fallujah

Atomic Games [http://www.atomic.com/] President Peter Tamte is still hopeful that Six Days in Fallujah will one day be made, but says he won't "fictionalize" the game in order to make it more palatable to publishers.

Most of you probably know the story of Six Days in Fallujah by now. Atomic Games set out to make a "fast and furious [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90729-Six-Days-in-Fallujah-A-Documentary-Wargame], bringing the project to a screeching halt. Atomic Games has since moved on to other things, but Tamte said he nonetheless remains hopeful for Six Days.

Rumors surfaced earlier this year that the game was VG247 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98823-Source-Claims-Six-Days-in-Fallujah-is-Ready-to-Go] that only a few levels are actually done and that the studio needs funding in order to finish it. But he also made it clear that he would not "intentionally fictionalize" the game in order to make that happen.

"Six Days takes place during the most relevant event of an entire generation," he said. "Some people suggested, 'Why not just make it Six Days in Bullcrapistan?' We could have done that, but that would have taken away one of the reasons why we made the game, which was to recreate the specific stories of some people who are our heroes - I can't do that in Bullcrapistan because it loses its context."

He also had some choice words for publishers who he claims "want to keep doing what we're doing" despite slipping videogame sales. Some of that decline can be blamed on the economy, he said, but some of it is also results from the industry's refusal to do anything new. "Consumers are starting to say, 'Hey, what you're selling - I'm not buying'," he continued. "I have conversations with senior people at publishers all across the world, and they're telling me that videogames are trivial, and we're going to keep making trivial games. Someone needs to slap them on the side of the head and say, 'Hey, guys, sales are going down. Something is wrong'."

Tamte's idea is to "experiment with new categories of games," which is what he had in mind for Six Days. But he added that the usual argument in favor of the game - that videogames deserve to be taken more seriously as a medium and can treat controversial subject matter with at least as much depth and respect as conventional forms of entertainment - isn't relevant to the problem of actually getting it made. "It has to be made into a purely commercial argument, ignoring all the arguments about the importance of the medium, and the things that we can do for consumers that can't be done via passive forms of entertainment - because most of the publishers are interested in the economic argument," he said.

Atomic is currently working on the multiplayer FPS Breach [http://breachgame.com/], which is slated for release next year on the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Good man, don't cave into the crap. I hope someone takes it on soon, it looked really cool.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Nice to see them sticking to their guns....

random idea, probably wouldn't work, but would it be possible for people to preorder the game, that money going to fuel development, which in turn leads to the game being ready to ship and such.

just a thought.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Ah, scenic Bullcrapistan. Home of the world famous Shit Creek.

But seriously I hope they can get a publisher for that game. It deserves to be made.

TheWwwizard

Nov 13, 2010
I hope this game gets published the way Atomic Games originally intended, I'd buy it simply to support them, and then if it's a good game, I'll feel like I've won twice. And if all the publishers out there are massive dicks, they could always put it on the internet just to spite all the assholes who are so into censoring real events that soldiers WANTED to share with people.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Mackheath said:
Great. More right-wing free speech censorship.

Simply because it is controversial does not give anyone the right to change it.
Censorship doesn't belong only to the right-wing.

Blind Sight

May 16, 2010
I salute you, Mr. Tamte, stick to your guns. I'm worn out from FPS and I'd still buy this game exactly because of the lack of bullshit. I'm hoping that if it comes out it'll be like a video game version of Generation Kill.

cobrausn said:
Mackheath said:

Censorship doesn't belong only to the right-wing.
I think he's calling it 'right-wing' because of the 'dishonouring the troops' complaint that's been common about it. Left-wing censorship is just a silly though.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
While I think it is bullshit(opolis) to that they got screwed over like that I can't help feeling that is Six Days does end up finished and put out there is probably going to be an immediate reaction that makes things worse and gives Ah-nuld credence.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Blind Sight said:
I think he's calling it 'right-wing' because of the 'dishonouring the troops' complaint that's been common about it. Left-wing censorship is just a silly though.
Judging from the wording of the post, I think he's calling it 'right-wing' because he's a leftist and likes to think only the 'other' side does any censorship, which is just blatantly wrong (Leland Yee?). Just a guess though, I don't actually know. That's why my response was short.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Fair play to him for having a backbone and sticking to his guns (no pun intended) and morals.

It'd be oh so easy for them to back down, take money and white wash out another generic fps modern shooter. I'm glad to see he wants to tell the tale of what happened, or not release a game.

jackanderson

Sep 7, 2008
Well done on refusing to cave in, Peter! I, for one, want to see this game finished and released. We need more original and boundry pushing games in this industry, and Six Days sounds like the game that'll do it. If I could, I'd fund the game myself right now.

Sadly, it'd probably fail at retail because it's not Call Of Duty. That's the cold, harsh reality we live in, folks!

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Mackheath said:

Its not right wing censorship, its because it wont sell. No matter what you do with a sensitive subject like Fallujah you are going annoy someone. If you don't picture civilian deaths you will be accused of glorifying American troops and if you do you will be accused making a Al Qaeda propaganda piece. However if you change the name that issue disappears and no one is pissed off, making a larger potential market.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Rainboq said:
Nice to see them sticking to their guns....

random idea, probably wouldn't work, but would it be possible for people to preorder the game, that money going to fuel development, which in turn leads to the game being ready to ship and such.

just a thought.
I like this idea. They should work out how much they need to make the game. Then how many people need to buy it to reach that amount. Then people can pre-oreder and if they get the right amount, everyone then pays and they make the game...

Misho-

May 20, 2010
Isn't this the same as the Extra Credits episode about Six Days in Palooza?

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
albino boo said:
Mackheath said:

Its not right wing censorship, its because it wont sell. No matter what you do with a sensitive subject like Fallujah you are going annoy someone. If you don't picture civilian deaths you will be accused of glorifying American troops and if you do you will be accused making a Al Qaeda propaganda piece. However if you change the name that issue disappears and no one is pissed off, making a larger potential market.
I doubt it won't sell, there could very well be a market for this kind of game, but no one will know if the game doesn't come out and people don't talk about it. The game is already a lightning rod for controversy. Controversy has time and time again shown to be a profitable venture in certain times (see the mess known as The Passion of the Christ).

Regardless of which, I, like Extra Credits, have an insane amount of respect for the boys and girls at Atomic and hope their game gets released one day. It might be wise to sell it as a cheap game ($20) to really attract people. Then they can use that money to fund other projects like Breach or their next big idea

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I hope this gets to se ethe light of day. I'm tired of "play safe" games, and sales proves I'm not the only one.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I had little interest in this game until Conservatives tried to censor/muzzle the developers. I know if the game ever sees the light of day I'll be picking it up just to support Atomic Games (and which ever publisher stands up for what's right).

Good for you Atomic, keep standing strong.