COD, Other Games Blamed for Relationship Troubles

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
COD, Other Games Blamed for Relationship Troubles

Videogames like Call of Duty and Football Manager are being increasingly blamed for breakups across the UK.

Hey, you! Are you in a relationship? Do you play games like Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto? Some would say that your videogame hobby might cost you that very relationship - or at least it'd be blamed for the breakup.

A survey of 1,500 gamers and their significant others carried out by One-Poll.com found that half of the partners who responded were "jealous" of the amount of time their loved one spent gaming, reports the Daily Mail [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1329877/Of-course-I-love-darling--Now-just-let-finish-game-Could-games-spell-death-relationship.html]. 5% of gamers admitted that their gaming had cost them a relationship, and - perhaps related - one in ten said that they'd blown off a romantic evening to get their game on.

"It seems like a games console often means there are three people in a relationship," said a One-Poll representative. "It's a bit sad if the virtual world is taking precedence over the real world."

The game series most cited as being responsible for splits in romance is none other than Call of Duty, the game that shattered sales records [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96464-Brit-Tennis-Star-Dumped-for-Playing-Modern-Warfare-2] with Black Ops. Other series named include Football Manager (that's "kick kick" football, and not "throw catch" football) and Grand Theft Auto - the top 20 is below:

[blockquote]
1. Call of Duty
2. Football Manager
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. FIFA
5. Medal of Honor
6. Halo
7. Super Mario Brothers
8. Gran Turismo
9. Mario Kart
10. Guitar Hero
11. Assassins Creed
12. Pro Evo Soccer
13. Resident Evil
14. World of Warcraft
15. F1
16. Red Dead Redemption
17. Need for Speed
18. Fallout
19. Gears of War
20. Angry Birds[/blockquote]

Really? WoW down below Resident Evil, Mario Kart and Assassin's Creed?

That doesn't sound right at all.

(CVG [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1329877/Of-course-I-love-darling--Now-just-let-finish-game-Could-games-spell-death-relationship.html])

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
John Funk said:
[blockquote]
1. Call of Duty
2. Football Manager
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. FIFA
5. Medal of Honor
6. Halo
7. Super Mario Brothers
8. Gran Turismo
9. Mario Kart
10. Guitar Hero
11. Assassins Creed
12. Pro Evo Soccer
13. Resident Evil
14. World of Warcraft
15. F1
16. Red Dead Redemption
17. Need for Speed
18. Fallout
19. Gears of War

That is really surprising, but then again there's no guild breakers like Cthun in WOW anymore.

Id assumed it had to do with partners not being able to perform upto par and not just ignore your partner for games.

Dec 14, 2009
People break up for all kinds of reason. I spend more time gaming than I think is the norm and I've been with my fiancee for 7 years, and she isn't even a gamer. If the relationship fails, it's because you're either shit at relationships or you simply aren't meant to be with that person.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Ah so that explains why I'm single. Oh wait, my being a narcissistic asshole, who would rather spend time reading than with people does that. Completely unrelated to my occasional alcohol fueled gaming evenings...

Omgsarge

May 11, 2009
World of Warcraft under Super Mario Brothers? Wow, didn't expect that.
"You love Luigi way more than me! We are through"

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
really, angry birds destroy relationships, many of these games i cant imagine playing for more than 15 minutes, maybe their partners be crazy.

Apr 28, 2008
I can see why Super Mario Bros. and Mario Kart would be on there.

SMB: "No, jump there. Not there, there. What? No get that thing, no the other thing. HOW ARE YOU HAVING TROUBLE WITH THIS?!"

Mario Kart: Blue Shell. That is all.

Anyway, I find it kind of sad that some people put games over relationships. Well, maybe not so sad if the relationship was crappy beforehand, but still.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
If your partner prefers to spend all their time gaming rather than being with you, then you should probably stop being so fucking annoying.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I'm surprised WoW even made the list. Those people must have had their partner before they picked up WoW. We know they didn't enter a relationship after they started playing.

I kid. I kid....[small]kinda.[/small]

I'm not really blown away by this. It doesn't take much to ruin a relationship. Avid sports fan? You're screwed. Make less/more money than your partner? You're screwed. Work too much to spend time together, but not enough to pay bills? You're screwed.

Video games are just one thing in a very long list than can hurt a relationship if you let it.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
The hell is angry birds ?

And farmville should be on that list.

And WOW is down that low ? o_o
Mehh if people cant accept their partners playing video games then screw them, on the other hand if theyre on it non stop and take no interest in the relationship at all, then yeah just walk away.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
OK, Escapist, I know you're an American site and everything so it's not so easy to keep track of, but we do tell you every time.

The Daily Star, Daily Mail and The Sun are not reputable papers, and by not reputable I'm talking Fox News in print form. Reporting on them is not worth the digital ink used to type up the stories.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
tehroc said:
John Funk said:
[blockquote]
1. Call of Duty
2. Football Manager
3. Grand Theft Auto
4. FIFA
5. Medal of Honor
6. Halo
7. Super Mario Brothers
8. Gran Turismo
9. Mario Kart
10. Guitar Hero
11. Assassins Creed
12. Pro Evo Soccer
13. Resident Evil
14. World of Warcraft
15. F1
16. Red Dead Redemption
17. Need for Speed
18. Fallout
19. Gears of War

That is really surprising, but then again there's no guild breakers like Cthun in WOW anymore.

Id assumed it had to do with partners not being able to perform upto par and not just ignore your partner for games.
Cthun was fun times, getting lasered for 500K once was priceless.

Oct 14, 2010
-Samurai- said:
I'm surprised WoW even made the list. Those people must have had their partner before they picked up WoW. We know they didn't enter a relationship after they started playing.

I kid. I kid....[small]kinda.[/small]
You basically said what I was going to say. I would add, however, that it may be possible that WoW is better suited for allowing the significant other to play as well, or for people to have actually met through the game.

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
Damn you, video game industry, stop making such good games, people with such a twisted view on their priorities on life can't handle them!

Seriously, even if this was absolute, solid evidence here, this could just as well be "Most breakups due to movies: 1. Twilight Saga, ..."

My last relationship crumbled because I gave up a great deal of "alone time", including video games, only to be cheated on because I was "too eager to give up something I like, it wouldn't've worked out". You can't please all of them.

Oh, and somebody please bring up a chart of breakup reasons pre-2000, I don't think that "this is the reason" is a game invented solely for video games.

flamingjimmy

Jan 11, 2010
The way I see it, if the relationship isn't good enough to keep your partner from playing games all the time instead of spending time with you, then it probably wasn't going to work anyway.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
I thought it was a stupid article,

Then I saw 'Daily Mail.'

Upon which I knew, it was a stupid article.

And any gamer that blows off a girl (say whaaaat) for a night of gaming is a derp. I'm just lucky I have a lady that likes games too but still I'd never do that to her if she didn't.