New Muppets Movie Racking Up Human Cast Members

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
New Muppets Movie Racking Up Human Cast Members

The new Muppets movie has recently nabbed comedians Zach Galifianakis, Jack Black, and Alan Arkin.

Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother) has scripted and will star in the new Muppets movie, but as of yet, he's been a human outnumbered by Muppets. That balance is beginning to shift, as Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine), Billy Crystal, Jack Black, and Jean-Claude Van Damme (Street Fighter) will all appear in cameo roles alongside Kermit the Frog and friends. In addition to Segel, the human principal cast is rounded out with Amy Adams (Enchanted), Rashida Jones (Parks and Recreation), and Chris Cooper (American Beauty).

In classic cinematic Muppet form, director James Bobin is casting famous comedians in what would generously be called "bit parts." Galifianakis will play a hobo, Arkin a tour guide, and Black is set to portray a kidnap victim. Previous examples of this casting strategy include Richard Pryor as a balloon salesman, Bob Hope as an ice cream vendor, Elliott Gould as a cop, Peter Falk as a bum, and Steve Martin as a surly, surly waiter.

"The biggest hurdle facing the studio," says The Hollywood Reporter, "is not getting actors to say yes to appear in the movie, it's figuring out scheduling." Well, obviously. Who in their right mind would turn down the opportunity to be in a Muppet movie?

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/muppet-movie-loading-cameos-45494]

Feb 13, 2008
Elizabeth Grunewald said:
Jean-Claude Van Damme (Street Fighter)
Ooh, that's unfair! But funny.

But YAY! More Muppets! And that's a comedic lineup that would do any stage proud.

Edit: Steve Martin should really reprise a cameo of Doctor Hfuhruhurr.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I'd rather they did something new with Farscape (like a new series in the same universe, since they couldn't use the old characters at this point) than more Muppet Movies personally.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Jack Black as a kidnap victim? That just made my day, this is going to be hilarious!

NeoAC

Zombie Nation #LetsRise
Jun 9, 2008
Steve Martin definitely needs to come back in. He's always good. As for new faces I would like to see in this? Well I know Ed Byrne is not a possibility so.....Chris Rock?

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
I hope they have a lot more celebrity cameos -- shouldn't be too hard; as the article says, "Who wouldn't want to be in a Muppet Movie?" -- I just hope they keep them secret. One of the best parts of watching the older Muppet films were all the unexpected celebrity cameos. "Oh, wow, that's Steve Martin!" "Hey! Mel Brooks!" "Is that Waylon Jennings?"

I've been disappointed by Muppet productions the last few years, but I can't help but be cautiously optimistic about this upcoming movie.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
The last few Muppet movies have been awful. I think the last good one was Muppets From Space. And that one came out over ten years ago.

Muppet Wizard of Oz? Pure shit.
Muppet Christmas Special? Also crap.
Muppets Letters to Santa? The only good thing was the Nathan Lane cameo.

Ever since Frank Oz stopped voicing Fozzy, everything started going downhill.

boholikeu

Aug 18, 2008
If anyone can bring back the muppets in true form it's definitely Segel. I'm looking forward to this.

This_ends_now said:
Everything Jack Black touches is absolutely horrid. I hate him with a passion. He's only entertaining to potheads, small children and the mentally stunted. I'm going to give this a pass.
Ouch, you're going to pass on the movie just because Jack Black has a bit part in it? Even if you hate him, that's like what, 5 minutes of a 2 hour movie?

Soviet Heavy said:
The last few Muppet movies have been awful. I think the last good one was Muppets From Space. And that one came out over ten years ago.

Muppet Wizard of Oz? Pure shit.
Muppet Christmas Special? Also crap.
Muppets Letters to Santa? The only good thing was the Nathan Lane cameo.

Ever since Frank Oz stopped voicing Fozzy, everything started going downhill.
True, but the recent youtube shorts have been brilliant.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
There hasn't been a good Muppet movie in a while, but considering the property is now owned by Disney it was only a matter of time before a new one was thrown out at the public.

also as a kid I remember absolutely loving that scene with Steve Martin. Seeing that again is pure nostalgia.

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
This_ends_now said:
Everything Jack Black touches is absolutely horrid. I hate him with a passion. He's only entertaining to potheads, small children and the mentally stunted. I'm going to give this a pass.
Sounds like you may be a victim of the "pick of destiny." Despite that travesty on film, I actually like Jack Black. His work in King Kong was excellent, and Tenacious D is the perfect blend of stupid and awesome, I even appreciated his cameo in Brutal Legend. Of course, I also like Red Green, Tom Green, Harpo Marx, QI, AND Adam Sandler. So take everything I say with the appropriate grains of salt.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
If Van Damme doesn't get knocked the hell out by a Miss Piggy chop, they've missed a massive opportunity!