Activision Boss Calls For Cheaper Consoles

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Boss Calls For Cheaper Consoles

Activision [http://www.activision.com] CEO Bobby Kotick is calling for reduced prices on videogame consoles, saying the high cost of hardware is becoming "prohibitive."

Speaking in an interview with the Times Online [http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/leisure/article4221201.ece], Kotick said the industry risks pricing itself out of its dominant position in competition with other forms of entertainment, particularly during times of economic downturn. While some analysts have referred to the videogame industry as "recession-proof," citing strong performance in 2007 and 2008 despite an overall negative economic climate, Kotick suggested that trend may not last forever.

"It used to be the case that we did well during slowdowns because if you couldn't afford to go to the movies or to travel to a theme park, you stayed home and played a computer game," he said. "But now I think that the hardware manufacturers are going to have to think about reducing their prices because the cost of purchasing some of this stuff is prohibitive."

Kotick said the industry is changing and growing, noting a "demographic expansion" driven by the increasingly cinematic nature of the gaming experience. "There's now going to be a rivalry between feature films and computer games. We are not there yet, but it will happen - there will be a narrative," he said. "The physical appearance of the game has changed, which is attracting new people, and there is a real sense of a social game. With the internet, people on different sides of the world can play against each other. People who had never before played a videogame are picking one up now."

He also predicted that despite the increasing numbers of women taking up the hobby, so-called "male-oriented" games would remain predominant in the market. "I don't think you need to have gratuitously violent products," he said. "But no company can afford to turn its back on a $45 billion section of the market. They are as important to the business as R-rated movies are to films."

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
they should. £200 for a noisey, power guzzling, breakage prone console + £40-50 for each game is not recession-sound economics.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
He's very, very right. Where do you think all these "I bought a Wii, but now I regret it" stories are coming from? The main reason the Wii is outselling the PS3 and XBox360, is because for a lot of people it's the only one they can afford.

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
I'm more for lower initial prices on games myself. The hardware part i will enjoy for years, some games however i will only enjoy for hours. The money for value of the console is thus high, as opposed to the games.

But ah well, I'll just lag behind for the time being, picking things up from the bargain bin.

corporate_gamer

Apr 17, 2008
yeah i think a bigger issue would be the prices of the games, because if you think about it, my xbox-360 cost me 200 sterling which is the equivalent of 4-5 new xbox games. and the CEO of a computer games company is wanting the console makers to lower their prices? a little hypocritical i think. (espically when microsoft is struggling to produce a un-faulty xbox at the current margins, imagine how many red rings we'll see if they had to cut corners)

Feb 13, 2008
Higher prices are actually more "evidence" that Piracy is a viable option; whatever your views on it; so they're just shooting themselves in the foot.

Especially when the three red lights come up more often than the trains.

Ultrajoe

Omnichairman
Apr 24, 2008
in australia its killing me to get a new game every so often, at $120 for the best and the brightest i'm starting to consider black market organ 'donations'.

Karmic

Mar 12, 2008
An interesting one, whilst I agree that some prices are crazy (honestly, £50 for a game?!) but isn't the logic behind all of this that the consoles are sold at a loss and then the game prices inflated to cover development costs as well as losses on hardware? If this is true (and I may well be wrong) but the only option to lower these costs would be to reduce the manufacturing costs of the consoles and/or reduce development costs of new games and hardware, adversely affecting consumers who demand the best, the biggest, the fastest, the prettiest (apart from Wii owners, of course).

It's probably all a moot point anyway, when Star Wars 2 for the SNES came ot it cost a cool £60 (by my guess that's about £100 in modern times assuming 3% inflation over 14 years. And now? In a charity shop for 50p.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
There is supposedly a $50 (USD) price drop for the 360 at least that will drop arcade below the wii's price.http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=26462419&sid=6193180&om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;15

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I think Kotik is blaming the wrong end of the game industry. Consoles have been north of the $300 line before in actual price; in inflation-adusted numbers, even the PS3 launch looks good compared to the Intellivision or the Amiga. It's the game titles whose prices have steadily crept upward even accounting for inflation.

-- Steve