Iron Sky Sneak Peek: Nazis on the Moon

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Iron Sky Sneak Peek: Nazis on the Moon

The creators of Iron Sky [http://ironsky.net/], the independent film about Nazis on the moon, are giving fans and supporters a look at the first few minutes of the film and other insider goodies in exchange for a donation of as little as one euro.

Nazis on the moon. Four words that should have your attention gripped, as Star Wreck [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jv8DEy8RVA] parody film. The premise is simple: As the Third Reich crumbled in 1945, Nazi scientists made a breakthrough discovery in anti-gravity technology, allowing them to flee to a secret military base on the dark side of the moon. In the year 2018, rebuilt and rearmed, their descendants return to Earth in a powerful fleet of flying saucers, determined to conquer the planet once and for all.

Is that not freakin' awesome? The Iron Sky project has been kicking around for a few years now, as independent films are wont to do, but now it's time to get down to business. "After years and years of work, we are finally here - shooting the film," said Iron Sky Director Timo Vuorensola. "We have an eventful month ahead of us, then a short break for the Christmas, followed by a month and a half of shooting in Australia. In Frankfurt we film our location shots, which is about a half of the movie. In Australia we do the studio parts."

One of the things that makes Iron Sky so interesting (aside from the whole Nazis on the goddamned moon thing) is that a substantial part of the film's budget has been supplied by fans and followers on the internet. The film's budget is 6.8 million euros ($9.2 million), nearly one million of which has been donated by the online community. Now, as a bit of payback and to encourage further support, the team has unveiled Iron Sky Sneak Peek [http://www.ironsky.net/sneakpeek/], offering exclusive "making of" footage and access to the first five minutes of the movie, for just a little over a dollar.

"Iron Sky Sneak Peek aims to offer the fans a great way to see how a movie project like this works, the whole process is going to be revealed and explained like never before," explained Producer Tero Kaukomaa. "And additionally it's another way for the Internet community to support and take part of making this film. Fan funding is extremely important thing for us, it was the last missing piece in our financing puzzle."

The Iron Sky team plans to put out new material every month, showing the movie's progress from the early concept right up to the finished product. Access to the Sneak Peek is a "pay what you want" deal, with a minimum fee of one euro, which is a little less than a buck and a half for folks on this side of the pond. Given that I would happily pay that just to see the original Iron Sky trailer for the first time, it strikes me as a pretty solid deal.

Iron Sky, starring the inimitable Iron Sky: Operation Highjump [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001424/] is also in the works. I am, as you may have guessed, totally jazzed for both.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
After so many years of knowing what these Nazis did to the world we can finally make money off it and pretend they're just a story that can be used to make games

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Sometimes it fascinates me how deeply the fear of german ingenuity is engraved into public concious. I wonder how much this actually domiates people's opinon on current germany's agendas.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Fr said:
anc[is]We're Nazis on the moon, we carry a harpoon...
Rofl thats also my very first thought!

Also i was trying so hard not to bust out laughing when reading this article. Not at it but with it XD

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
and i bet if this were to be officially released as like a big budget action title it would get horrible reviews and everyone here would change their tone :p

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
ionveau said:
After so many years of knowing what these Nazis did to the world we can finally make money off it and pretend they're just a story that can be used to make games
Does it matter, what the Nazis did is a thing of the past, we should try to forget that part and move on.. and then milk the culture that they created of stormtroopers and experimental weapons, etc.

Besides this movie doesn't glorify Nazis, it makes fun of them, and unfortunately they are the 'bad' guys and will probably lose.. it would be an epic movie if they won though..

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
and i bet if this were to be officially released as like a big budget action title it would get horrible reviews and everyone here would change their tone :p
Even if it were being produced by some big Hollywood firm, I would still go and see it, purely for the story and the concept, It's the same reason I'd go and see the up-coming WH40K film, never mind if it is terrible but hey its cool stuff (subjective opinions only, I can see why most people will not be too interested)

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Lord Kloo said:
It's the same reason I'd go and see the up-coming WH40K film, never mind if it is terrible but hey its cool stuff (subjective opinions only, I can see why most people will not be too interested)
Is that coming to theaters though? I was under the impression it wasn't seeing a theatrical release, just coming out on video (says someone who had pre-ordered himself a copy months ago).

On Topic: Oh hell yes - how is it I hadn't heard of this film before?!

Jun 7, 2010
I don't see where the comedy will fit in but I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Nazis on the moon. I never thought I would hear those words in the same sentence.

Rag Doll

Aug 16, 2008
Finland, Finland, Finland!!!
My country has it all.

Seriously, I think this is the best thing to get exported from here. EVER!

Lord Kloo

Jun 7, 2010
Gildan Bladeborn said:
Lord Kloo said:
It's the same reason I'd go and see the up-coming WH40K film, never mind if it is terrible but hey its cool stuff (subjective opinions only, I can see why most people will not be too interested)
Is that coming to theaters though? I was under the impression it wasn't seeing a theatrical release, just coming out on video (says someone who had pre-ordered himself a copy months ago).

On Topic: Oh hell yes - how is it I hadn't heard of this film before?!
Damn, this is not good, not good at all.. yes, just looked on their website, straight to DVD, ah well, AT LEAST it is coming at some point

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Lord Kloo said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Even if it were being produced by some big Hollywood firm, I would still go and see it, purely for the story and the concept, It's the same reason I'd go and see the up-coming WH40K film, never mind if it is terrible but hey its cool stuff (subjective opinions only, I can see why most people will not be too interested)
personally, i might like it better than the critics would, but thats just me :p