Microsoft: British Ratings System Spikes Costs

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Microsoft: British Ratings System Spikes Costs

Microsoft is worrying that the installation of longer review procedures may drive up game costs in England.

After England announced a round of regulations [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/82739] for the games industry based on the Byron report [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/82807], the country's development community was quick to voice its concerns, including the argument that increased regulation would not promote proper parenting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84215]. Electronic Arts even suggested that a lengthened ratings system will force game delays [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/84677] in the country, where games from North America and Asia already take additional time to be shipped for PAL regions.

Microsoft's senior regional director in the UK and Ireland, Neil Thompson, sees the lengthy approval process as a potential cost increaser that publishers will pass on to consumers.

"We're in the business of providing great games to a broad audience of gamers, and we need to be able to fulfill that role by getting products to consumers quickly and at a good price," he explained.

"We're concerned with any measures that would mean this process is made more unwieldy," he continued, "or incurs additional costs which have to be shared with the consumer."

One effort the British government plans to pursue is to force the BBFC to review titles for children above the age of 12 alongside the widely-accepted PEGI system.

Thompson said in support of PEGI, "We want a steady stream of product to consumers via retail and therefore support PEGI as the single ratings system in the UK. That way, we're able to ensure the right content goes to the right audience, as efficiently as possible."

Source: GamesIndustry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ratings-could-make-uk-games-more-expensive-says-microsoft]

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Great, that's what everyone needs with the current rate of inflation, the cost of games to rise. £40 is a luxury at the moment, I'm not sure I could afford to spend much more on games.
What's the standard cost of games elsewhere (just out of interest) is $60 the average in the US?

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
I wish the government would just get the hell out of this issue, they've made it painfully obvious they have no clue on the issue when the Byron report basically said you need to educate parents on ratings and make ratings more transparent. So instead they ignore the telling parents to stop buying 18 rated games for 12 year olds' and forget that adding more bureaucracy makes things more complicated. Idiots... They can't seriously expect this to work as this legislation is not even remotely related to the Byron report. PEGI is fine, and if it's used country wide we might be able to get a good, transparent system.

kittenbot

Aug 5, 2007
For a moment there, I thought this was their reasoning as to why games currently cost 40% more in the UK...so you're saying they have NO excuse for that 40% and it's due to rise now they have a reason? Hmmm, sounds fun, guess I'll be buying games from play.com even more often now, thank god for Jersey tax havens.

edit: I am aware of the 17.5% VAT we have in place. But that is not 40%

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
kittenbot said:
For a moment there, I thought this was their reasoning as to why games currently cost 40% more in the UK...so you're saying they have NO excuse for that 40% and it's due to rise now they have a reason? Hmmm, sounds fun, guess I'll be buying games from play.com even more often now, thank god for Jersey tax havens.

That play.com, Jersey tax haven, thing is a lie. [b/]Everything[/b] that comes into the country has to pay VAT, unless it's £18 or under. They only have discount because they're an online store so they don't have to pay to keep stores open. You'll find that their prices are rarely less that amazon.co.uk or GAME's online store, who are both based in the UK.

Skrapt

May 6, 2008
Eagle Est1986 said:
kittenbot said:

That play.com, Jersey tax haven, thing is a lie. [b/]Everything[/b] that comes into the country has to pay VAT, unless it's £18 or under. They only have discount because they're an online store so they don't have to pay to keep stores open. You'll find that their prices are rarely less that amazon.co.uk or GAME's online store, who are both based in the UK.
Well you could always get them to write 'this is a gift' on the packaging so you're not liable for tax...

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
Skrapt said:
Well you could always get them to write 'this is a gift' on the packaging so you're not liable for tax...
That doesn't work on anything over £36, HMRC will only give VAT relief for gifts upto the value of £36. Sadly it's my job to know these things, I'm an import broker. Nice to know that the information can occasionally come in handy outside of work though.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
Brilliant. Video games were practially the one item that wasn't rising in cost, and now the censors are putting their foot in it again .