Make Comedians Sad to Make Sick Kids Happy

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Make Comedians Sad to Make Sick Kids Happy

It's that time of year again, folks: It's time to make incredibly talented people miserable for the sake of an incredibly worthy cause.

[video=2477]

If there's any one cause that really ought to demonstrate to the rest of the non-gaming world that videogames have not turned us into violence-loving psychopaths, it's Child's Play [http://www.childsplaycharity.org/] - a great charity for a wonderful cause.

This year, for the fourth year running, the brilliant comedy team at LoadingReadyRun will subject themselves to the unimaginable drudgery of playing Desert Bus [http://desertbus.org/], widely considered the most boring videogame ever made. Members of the LRR team will be driving the desert bus for 24-hour straight shifts while everybody else makes willing fools out of themselves.

Why are they doing this? For the kids, of course. As long as people - gamers and non-gamers alike - keep donating money to Child's Play, these talented comedians will keep on making themselves miserable for a wonderful cause. What more could you want?

Oh, and in case you actually do want more, The Escapist and LoadingReadyRun have - with the help of our sponsors - put together some truly awesome prize packages, which the Runners will be auctioning off to raise even more money for the kids who need it.

Whether it's forcing them to go see the latest Twilight movie, shaving their heads, or just watching them play the most boring game of all time, everyone who contributes to the fourth annual Desert Bus for Hope will be making these comedians sad, in order to help make sick kids happy.

The first bus leaves tomorrow night. Don't miss it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/content/DesertBusForHope].

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Hint: Kathleen really likes to do Carameldansen. ;)
I have an idea similar to this. Though... how much would I have to donate to get Graham, Alex and Matt to all do it to the same piece of music?

Feb 13, 2008
CounterAttack said:
Hint: Kathleen really likes to do Carameldansen. ;)
I have an idea similar to this. Though... how much would I have to donate to get Graham, Alex and Matt to all do it to the same piece of music?
It usually depends what it is and how far the next milestone is.

If it's High School Musical, bring a cheque book. ;)

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Time to help out this year! I was ignorant of the bus last year but I'm not missing it this time XD

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008

Oh no, nothing HSM-related... I was thinking of challenges to give the LRR crew, and then it hit me. The Numa Numa song. Almost instantly an image of Graham lipsyncing the words sprang to mind, closely followed by Alex and Matt "singing" with him in three-part harmony.

Feb 13, 2008
CounterAttack said:

Oh no, nothing HSM-related... I was thinking of challenges to give the LRR crew, and then it hit me. The Numa Numa song. Almost instantly an image of Graham lipsyncing the words sprang to mind, closely followed by Alex and Matt "singing" with him in three-part harmony.
I'd pitch it to them around midnight their time. Especially if Matt is on his coffee rush.

Also try and get Graham's Billy Mayes impression and watch for Tally's crafts.

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
I'd pitch it to them around midnight their time. Especially if Matt is on his coffee rush.

So that's about 9:00 PM my time. Thanks for that. Though is there a way to tell them what the donation is for?

Feb 13, 2008
CounterAttack said:

So that's about 9:00 PM my time. Thanks for that. Though is there a way to tell them what the donation is for?
Usually there's a video feed which we all watch....hold on...here's one we recorded earlier.

During that time we all send messages back and forth and when you send payments in, it will be donated towards either whatever's being collected for (Matt saw Twilight twice(?) last year, while all goth-ed up) or for whatever you ask for.

Edit: Nah, this one's a better video

Apr 28, 2008
I love this event. We get entertained. It helps kids. Everyone wins!

Well, except the LRR crew, but eh, we can't all be winners.

I expect to see Justin Beiber sing-alongs.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
There was an advert for Desert Bus for Hope....on the beginning of the video for Desert Bus for Hope.

0_O ?

OT: This is awesome. Entertainment, money raised for children (Y) Good stuff.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Make them Miserable!!! Make them Suffer!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA Dance you silly monkeys dance!!!

.....For the Kids of course!

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
Shit, if they hadn't done this several times already I'd say they have no idea what they're getting into. They're asking the INTERNET to come up with ways to make their lives miserable.

Godspeed, LRR Crew. You all have more balls than I'll ever have.

Feb 13, 2008
AstorSapolsky said:
At this point they have done it so often, I think it is safe to say they actually enjoy playing the game.
I don't know if I can speak for them, but I think I can safely say that they don't. It's the thought of those little kiddies that keep them going.

That and, if they're driving, they don't have to join in as much with the inanity.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I feel slightly guilty in that I've never donated to Desert Bus before, despite watching it. Now I have a job, however, I can afford at least a small donation, so I will definitely be cracking out the Paypal login details this time around and putting a little something towards it. All for a good cause, after all :D. And I didn't have much time to catch the live feeds last year, but believe me I will so be watching the feeds this year whenever I have the time :p.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Interesting fact. In past years, the drivers would switch out in 8 hour shifts. This year they decided to make it 24 hour shifts. Why? I'm guessing they're secretly masochistic.