Monty Python Flying to Facebook

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Monty Python Flying to Facebook

Social game developer Zattikka has acquired the license to Monty Python and hopes to make it into the next FarmVille.

British comedy group Monty Python's work has been turned into some pretty absurd games over the years, but now that absurdity is going social. Social and casual game company Zattikka has announced that the license for Monty Python's Flying Circus is under its control and it plans to use it for games on social platforms.

Zattikka is a relatively new player in the social market, having been founded in August 2009 by former Virgin Games executives. After securing $5.5 million in funding over the summer, Zattikka has apparently used its newfound wealth to ensure that Monty Python's classic humor would be attached to microtransactions.

Monty Python was formed by Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin in the 1960s and they created a sketch comedy television show in the BBC called Monty Python's Flying Circus that ran from 1969-1974. Its absurd sketches were interlaced with animation created by Gilliam that included the famous Monty Python foot. To this day, Monty Python is seen as an iconic comedy franchise and it went on to span multiple movies, like the amazing Monty Python and the Holy Grail [http://www.amazon.com/Monty-Python-Holy-Grail-Special/dp/B00005O3VC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290200374&sr=8-1], and other projects.

Zattikka says it will be "transporting Monty Python into the 21st Century" by first releasing a social game on Facebook and expanding its presence using the web. The company promises that "it will be a homage to all the characters, settings, sketches and comedic approach that has made Monty Python a worldwide phenomenon." The Monty Python team has actually been involved in the development process, Terry Gilliam in particular, and hopefully are ensuring that Zattikka puts out something worth playing.

Details on exactly what Zattikka's Monty Python social games will be like haven't been revealed yet, but the company plans to release more information in early December. I'll be happy just as long as they don't involve growing crops. I don't think even Monty Python can make that fun anymore.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
I've heard that returning items is an exercise in futility and launches one of the most in depth dialog systems in the history of gaming.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
"transporting Monty Python into the 21st Century"
...I hope this company fails based on that alone.

Seriously, silly does not need transporting. Its already bloody here!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
To be honest this seems like a train wreck waiting to happen. To be entirely honest, the various gags and the like have been run into the ground for decades, and there have been so many retrospectives, behind the scenes looks, and other things over the years that I don't think there is really anything more that can be said about this. The only way to get more "Monty Python" would be if there was a serious reunion again, and they came up with more material, but truthfully I'm not sure how well that entire style has aged, and it would always be compared to the vintage stuff.

I don't know, it seems a lot like when someone did "Monty Python's Complete Waste Of Time" (a video game) which I guess did okay, but didn't seem to be any kind of smash success.

Hiring someone like John Cleese who has stayed active to perform, or act as a face, is doubtlessly worth a bit, but I'm surprised anyone is going to pay 5.5 million for "Monty Python's Flying Circus" in any context.

I wish them luck and all, but it would have been nice to be a fly on the wall when someone pitched this social-network game idea with that liscence to a producer, and actually walked away with the money.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I hate it when developers try to "make the next _____." Usually, they just take the creative spark and make a merely derivative contribution to the field.

Oh well.

merrypranxter

Oct 24, 2010
NO! If they turn something as amazing & wonderful as Monty Python into another farmville I'll die. DO NOT BASTARDIZE THE PYTHON!

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Logic Sword said:
This will be the only Facebook game where spam will be appreciated.
Well it will have groups about it that will spam, notification spam, spam with e-mail messages about it spam, spam, spam, spam...

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
GamesB2 said:
I'm there!

Seriously though... they better not make this terrible... I want to enjoy my spam.
Logic Sword said:
ark123 said:
Logic Sword said:
Well it will have groups about it that will spam, notification spam, spam with e-mail messages about it spam, spam, spam, spam...
I c wut you did thar ;)

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
No they should Fuck off and Leave Monty Python alone.

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE IT LIVE UP TO EXPECTATIONS.

How Could John Cleese let this happen?????????????????

I haven't been so OUTRAGED in a while. CHEEP FUCKING GIMMICKS

Monty Python are the God's of British Comedy, one of the things allows me to say "I proud to be British" and now this...

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
...They seem to be taking this pretty seriously. I am cautiously optimistic about this.