Lord of the Rings Online Teases Isengard Expansion for 2011

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Lord of the Rings Online Teases Isengard Expansion for 2011

The latest expansion for the now free to play MMO Lord of the Rings Online focuses on the wizard Saruman and the Rise of Isengard.

Turbine teased the third expansion to its massive MMO Lord of the Rings Online today with a short trailer today. It's told from the point of view of the traitor Wizard Saruman, and shows images of Tower of Orthanc. The new expansion, set to release in the Fall of 2011, will add Isengard as a playable area, raise the level cap to 70, and make huge modifications to Monster Play, opening it up to all players instead of just paying premium members. The storyline follows the Grey Company, the band of Rangers and the sons of Elrond, sent to meet up with Aragorn in Rohan.

"2010 has been a year of unprecedented growth for The Lord of the Rings Online with our successful introduction of a free-to-play option for our players," said Kate Paiz, Executive Producer of The Lord of the Rings Online. "This is going to be another outstanding year for the game as we progress on our journey toward Mordor and it all begins with our upcoming November update. The journey will carry through 2011 ending with our arrival in the epic region of Isengard where players will confront the raging war and shadow that has spread across Middle-earth."

Keep in mind that LOTRO went free to play this year, and so far it looks like the move has actually netted Turbine more revenue [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104176-Free-to-Play-LOTRO-Doubles-Revenues]. It's dedication to providing more content, such as the Rise of Isengard expansion, will hopefully continue until the Ring of Power is destroyed.

Lord of the Rings Online is the MMO that I would totally delve into if I had a spare lifetime. I'm a huge fan of Tolkien, having read the books several times (including The Silmarillion twice), and the team at Turbine lovingly recreates the world of Middle Earth. The fact that the game is still moving forward may sway me to roll up a hobbit. Who's with me?

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Who's with me?
I will never quite get used to WoW-style MMO:s, but if I was to actually play one, it would be LotRO. I was in the closed beta, and have never had so much fun in a conventional MMO.

And that LotRO has netted Turbine more revenue as F2P does not come as a surprise to me. When DDO was turned into a F2P title (the move that preceded and inspired the F2P change for LotRO), it morphed from a dying title into a great success, multiplying Turbine's revenue by a factor of, well, a lot.

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
At least Saruman's voice doesn't sound as bad in the English trailer as it does in the German.

LotRO actually is a really nice game. Haven't been playing for all that long and it's the first real MMORPG I really play, but I've got a lot of fun. It captures the feeling of Middle Earth quite well. The F2P model seems to work quite nicely, too. (Although it feels a bit like a street dealer, giving you generously giving you stuff at first and making you pay later on when you're addicted ^^)

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
Mounted combat in Rohan raaaaaah.

We all wants it.

But yes, maybe once I have a stable connection again I can resubscribe and get the expansion. I miss my elf guardian...

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Lord of the Rings Online Teases Isengard Expansion for 2011 Who's with me?
I'm already there, really enjoying the game in its new state. I don't want to call it free to play, since everyone I know who ends up playing it pays for it, at least in some capacity, whether it's a month of VIP here or there, or some points to unlock features. I think it's smart marketing and an excellent way for all MMOs to go in the future.

Cracker3011

May 7, 2009
Anyone smell Helms Deep coming in 2012?

Oh, and wonder when/if they'll be bringing back Ranger/Troll play in PvP... Hopefully the Ranger WON'T be a steaming pile of shite compared to the Troll if it does happen XD

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Greg Tito said:
The fact that the game is still moving forward may sway me to roll up a hobbit. Who's with me?
Ye be warned; the game's free-to-play status is not what it seems to be!

Yes, making an account is free and indeed it's free...until you hit level 20. After that you'll be confronted with big holes in the content, quest packs and areas you have to pay for to enter, making continuing past level 20 very difficult without paying for anything.

It's such a smart strategy, making it F2P but in reality just making a sort of integrated trial. Devilishly clever, pretty cunning, and it apparently works damn well. Sure I felt incredibly screwed over, but you gotta have respect for something like that.

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Yes, making an account is free and indeed it's free...until you hit level 20. After that you'll be confronted with big holes in the content, quest packs and areas you have to pay for to enter, making continuing past level 20 very difficult without paying for anything.

It's such a smart strategy, making it F2P but in reality just making a sort of integrated trial. Devilishly clever, pretty cunning, and it apparently works damn well. Sure I felt incredibly screwed over, but you gotta have respect for something like that.
As I said, Codemasters seems to have the mentality of a smart drug dealer.
But there still is a possibility of playing the game without spending any real money. The Book of Deeds allows you to earn points by doing the most mindless grinding tasks. If you do all the deeds, you should have enough points to buy the next questpack.

masterwolfmoon

Sep 26, 2011
Spoken from myself who has played since Beta back in early 2007, the game has taken huge strides forward. Turbine knows what is at stake and they have a lot of pride in making this game the best they can make it. They have an extensive and very informative community which they utilize to make the game experience a great one for everyone. Now I am not saying that "everyone" is satisfied because that would be impossible to please everyone. I have had some gripes but overall, I have never left the game and that (in my book) counts for a lot. I am a picky player when it comes to the lore and gameplay, LotRO hits my fantasy spot and I have never left. LotRO 4 ever.

masterwolfmoon

Sep 26, 2011
Go for it Plosion, if you want I would be glad to help you out in game. I have recruited several people into the game over the years and they love the game. Try free to play to see if you like it, when you do, make a character on the Firefoot server. I have several characters that I can help you will making weapons and armor for your character. Let me know what you decide and we can go from there.