Aquaman Movie a "Reality," Says Smallville Actor

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Aquaman Movie a "Reality," Says Smallville Actor

The world's least impressive superhero might get his own movie, provided that cost isn't too high.

Aquaman has something of an image problem. It's not that his powers are bad, it's just that they only tend to be useful in very specific situations. Put him underwater and he's super-strong, fast as anything and can communicate telepathically with all the denizens of the deep, but put him on land, and he's almost a liability. You might think that no one would really want to make an Aquaman movie, but according to Alan Ritchson, who plays the character on TV show Smallville, nothing could be further from the truth.

Ritchson said that although he'd had to deal with a fair amount of scorn for playing Aquaman, he'd observed an increase in the character's popularity. He said that Hollywood was investigating the possibility of an Aquaman movie, although no one had approached him about it yet, so he didn't know very many details. He thought that the primary obstacle to getting the movie made would be the cost of making a film set mainly underwater. This actually won't be the first time that Aquaman has been shoved into the limelight in recent years, as back in 2006, the creators of Smallville made a pilot for an Aquaman TV show. The CW opted not to buy the show, but it was made available on iTunes, where it quickly became one of the most downloaded shows on the service.

Despite the relative success of this TV pilot, I'd be surprised if anyone makes an Aquaman movie any time soon. It's one thing to invest the kind of money it takes to make a TV show, but a movie is a very different deal altogether. Aquaman has made a number of cameos in various cartoon shows, and even had his own show in the late 60s, but he has nowhere near the level of recognition as the likes of Superman or Batman, and what you can do with him is more limited because of the nature of his powers. Still, if Green Lantern - which is in a similar situation as Aquaman, in that people aren't overly familiar with the character - does well, it might open the door for the lesser known DC superheroes on the big screen.

Source: Comic Book Resources [http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=29460]

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Man, I thought Aquaman was just a running joke - he exists?! Ok, 1) nice suit - is that a hood on the back of it? Tasty. 2) lets stick to good super heroes to make films about, please? Before the renovated genre becomes full of crap?

I mean, Aquaman could be cool in a sci-fi, 'zomg here's Atlantis, now I am your king', some sort of 'Superman of the deeps or something, but I don't think that really seems to fit into the general super-hero stride. (Bear in mind I've never even heard of his comic book exploits, so maybe occasions where he can use his powers pop up all the time?)

Well, until the evil villain bases his evil plan in a submarine launched from a coral reef hiding an underwater research lab breeding sharks with lasers on their heads, and that's stretching things a bit...

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
This seems like a very bad idea aquaman is not easily recieved as a credible character like most others. they are smart to keep the budget low it will be something if it can be fairly successful.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
All I can say is, there better be an H. P. Lovecraft crossover.
Remember, he can command the creatures of the deeps.

The Salty Vulcan

Jun 28, 2009
Shycte said:
I will be very dissapointed if he isn't played by Adrian Grenier...
Dammit. Ninja'd

Seriously though can everyone just quit it with the Aquaman bashing. Yeah back in the 60's he was a joke but he actually is a pretty cool character. You only have to read JUSTICE to see how awesome he can be if done right. Anyways, I forsee any Aquaman film to spend a long time in Developement Hell.

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
Didn't they make an Aguaman movie already? I think I heard about it on "Entourage", I think. Heard it did better than Spiderman.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
How to do an Aquaman movie:

Step 1. Make it a comedy
Step 2. Base Aquaman off of his portrayal in Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

Additionally, he is not the least impressive superhero ever, he's at least more useful than the Wonder Twins.

P.S. Thanks

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Could work, he can talk to fish right? I'd love to see a swarm of Great Whites killing someone...

the1ultimate

Apr 7, 2009
Ready, say it with me now: <a href=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ThisLooksLikeAJobForAquaman>This Looks Like A Job For AQUAMAN!.

It could work though, since there is a city underwater in Aquaman, and his powers are kind of decent when he is actually under water.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Don't get me wrong, I like Aquaman, but he's kind of a tricky hero to pull off. Let's face it, everyone's still got that preconcieved notion of "Aquaman is only useful when crime is taking place near water" that Superfriends drove into our skulls, and it's going to take one hell of an event to get people to change that. Not even Badass Aquaman from Justice League or Awesome Aquaman from Batman: Brave and the Bold could do it (and last I checked, B:BatB Aquaman was, in fact, awesome).

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
Wouldn't that be like making a Harry Potter spin-off starring Seamus Finnegan or a Dragon Ball Movie where the main character is Yamcha? (For those of you who went who? Exactly.) There are nerds like myself who know who they are but that doesn't mean anyone is particularly interested in them.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Aquaman is kind of still a joke. He is the JLA member they call when everyone else is busy. How would he stop a plane crashing, or an asteroid heading towards the Earth?

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
I'm ok with an Aquaman movie. If we're giving movies to any and every super hero, that means eventually we'd get a Deadpool movie, which would be awesome.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
shame no one every seems to realise what being able to summon/control ocean beasts (cthulhu) ,being able to suvive several thousand atmospheres of pressure and being in control of a technologically advanced civilistation means for a person he is definatly not a superhero to be underestimated

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
No. Just... no. Sorry, but his powers are simply limited to such a unique area that he's useless save as a Deus Ex Machina character for other superheroes.

Imagine, if you will, a character who's powers only affect sea-based objects and creatures. Now, the villain sends a series of sub-terran tunnelling drones with nuclear missiles to various points on Earth. What can this hypothetical "Aquaman" do? Shit all. Likewise for aerial strikes, biochemical attack, or alien invasion.

So he's essentially useless save as a counter to very specifically sea-based plots...