Report: Zynga is Obsessed With Dogs

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Report: Zynga is Obsessed With Dogs

According to an interview with Zynga's Mark Pincus, it's a wonder that social game company hasn't made DogVille yet.

Zynga founder Mark Pincus recently gave an interview to the Telegraph, where he talked about the social game company's past, present, and future. However, amongst the information about Zynga's business practices, Pincus revealed a company pet obsession that makes the sometimes sinister [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103367-Zynga-Seems-More-Sinister-Than-You-Might-Expect] studio seem cute and cuddly instead.

Zynga's love for dogs starts at its logo, which as you can see does indeed feature a dog. According to the Telegraph, the dog featured in the logo is Mark Pincus's deceased family pet, and the company is actually named after the pooch.

The company's dog adoration goes much further than its name, with around a dozen dogs always found running around Zynga's offices. Apparently, every day at Zynga is "take your dog to work day," so dogs are constantly sticking their noses into things. It makes pet care much easier, but likely is a huge distraction. Who can work when there are cute dogs around?

Zynga even went so far as to name its Wi-Fi network "PuppyNet." Now if that doesn't change your opinion of the FarmVille studio, I don't know what will.

In the interview, Pincus also said that he hopes "Zynga" someday becomes a verb associated with gaming similar to how "Google" means to search. "I want people to 'Zynga' each other and for the word to become completely aligned with gaming," he said. I don't know if that's possible, but I do look upon Zynga in a new light now that its dog obsession has been uncovered. Shady business practices aside, anyone that loves dogs this much can't be all that bad.

Source: Telegraph [http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/8153498/Zynga-10-things-you-didnt-know-about-the-social-gaming-company.html]

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
"anyone that loves dogs this much can't be all that bad."

Anyone, except Pincus. There are few things he could possibly do in this world that would make me change my opinion of the company. I own a dog. They aren't that great.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
sooperman said:
"anyone that loves dogs this much can't be all that bad."

Anyone, except Pincus. There are few things he could possibly do in this world that would make me change my opinion of the company. I own a dog. They aren't that great.
Dogs are that great.

However consider Hitler had a dog, and was apparently quite find of animals.

Richard Nixon (who I have few problems with, but is well hated) had a dog.

Bill Clinton (who I don't care for) had a dog.

The point is that liking animals says nothing about a person's morality, or their attitude towards other people.

If it helps get you on the right track, think of the Orcish Fondness of Worgs, or Goblin Wolf Riders.

Imagine Pincus as an OLD SCHOOL Klingon, sitting in his command chair planning genocide, slavery, and planetary conquest while his Klingon minions work their stations. Drooling Targs about his feet...

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
It already is a word.

When I zynga your game, it means I copy your gameplay, add some aggressive social marketing to make mine grow faster, add some questionable zwinky bars and other 'deals' to monetize it. Then I sell your personal information for additional revenue.

When I zynga a person, it means I trap someone in my scheme.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
Capo Taco said:
It already is a word.

When I zynga your game, it means I copy your gameplay, add some aggressive social marketing to make mine grow faster, add some questionable zwinky bars and other 'deals' to monetize it. Then I sell your personal information for additional revenue.

When I zynga a person, it means I trap someone in my scheme.
That makes a lot more sense too. Especially since gaming is doing fine just being gaming. Replacing that word with Zynga makes no sense at all. "What's your hobby?" "Zynga" "what?". "So I was Zynga the other day", "Dude, I spent the whole weekend Zynga WoW, I got some sweet new loot!". I can't see it happening, so I guess we're safe.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
I'll Zynga ya Pincus, come over here and I'll Zynga ya real good.

All fake threats/seductions aside I think that's a surprisingly cool aim for the company to have. And they've made gaming that little bit more acceptable so I'm fine with it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Welcome to the Zynga puppy mill!

Sort of like how they crank out games at a copious rate?
Nah...
I'm done torturing analogies for today.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Zynga has always been a pet friendly place from what I understand. The company is indeed named after Mark's own dog, that sadly passed away. From the things I have heard, Zynga is a pretty great place to work. Image aside, and the constant bantering about it, Zynga does have it's good points. Points that largely go unseen and unheard amidst a climate of unwillingness to look at the whole picture, that some of my fellow gamers have sadly adhered to. Though there are some gamers that are different, and they can see past the negative shell of an image that has been given to Zynga.

Shihoudani

Oct 3, 2009
There is only one game I can give props to Zynga for... and that is Zynga Poker on Facebook. Out of all the games they have, this one is one of their rare gems that actually is pretty decent.