Anecdotal Evidence Suggests Japan Isn't Buying Kinect

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Anecdotal Evidence Suggests Japan Isn't Buying Kinect

A report from an independent retailer describes tepid sales for the Kinect since it launched this weekend in Japan.

Kinect became available in Japan on November 20th and some fans lined up to purchase one as soon as they could. Writing for the Japanese newspaper Mainichi Shimbun, a merchandiser for the major retail chain Tsutaya, described the sales reception as less than that of the PlayStation Move. Taketo Matsuo also said that Kinect was mostly being purchased by people who already had an Xbox 360.

Matsuo wrote that Kinect is "off to a pretty rough start." Despite it being marketed towards "light users," the innovative motion control system was mostly being purchased by "existing owners." He also said that the Kinect unit was selling about "one-fourth" as well as the PlayStation Move was.

Sales for accessories in Japan are not publicized separately from hardware sales, so there is not likely going to be any official numbers of how Kinect is selling there. Anecdotal evidence from retailers like Matsuo is probably the best information that we are going to get for a while.

That is, unless Matsuo is completely wrong and Microsoft releases sales numbers that prove Kinect is a massive success in Japan. Given the traditional track record of Microsoft game products in Japan as compared to natives like Nintendo and Sony, I don't foresee that happening.

Plus, that 6-8 feet of space the Kinect needs to function is worth a fortune in Japan. That can't help its sales there.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/early-reports-suggest-kinect-rough-japan]

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
GamesB2 said:
I can't see the Japanese being interested in Kinect at all... it's a product that will appeal more to a western audience.
I may be completely wrong here, but if I remember correctly Kinect needs a lot of space. And isn't space sort of a rare commodity in Japan?

Jul 22, 2009
Dectilon said:
I may be completely wrong here, but if I remember correctly Kinect needs a lot of space. And isn't space sort of a rare commodity in Japan?
Yes, almost everyone living in the city live in apartment blocks.

seekeroftruth86

Nov 20, 2010
How has the Xbox been selling in Japan? If that's small, then of course if the only people that buy Kinect are the ones that have Xbox, then sales will be small.

I see it rather unreasonable to expect non-Xbox owners to buy a whole new system just for the motion controls. The Wii's cheaper and did it first.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Anecdotal evidence? I was thinking common sense. Japan doesn't like Xbox 360 anyway. Not really hard to guess that they aren't lining up in droves to buy an add-on for it.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Nothing surprising. Microsoft has a rather big tradition of doing terribly in Japan.

seekeroftruth86 said:
How has the Xbox been selling in Japan?
The 360 is doing awfully in Japan. They are far behind the PS3 (by about 4:1), and even further behind the Wii (about 10:1)

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I wonder if the fact that Microsoft wanted to put the kiabash on "panty games" and other borderline hentai stuff that helped them loose what little interest they might have had in the 360. Alienate a group of people for condemning what they like and you really cant expect them to get on board with what your selling.

Yeah, Kinects 6-8 foot requirement isnt real practical in the land of dresser beds and one room mansions.

seekeroftruth86

Nov 20, 2010
Simalacrum said:
Nothing surprising. Microsoft has a rather big tradition of doing terribly in Japan.

seekeroftruth86 said:
The 360 is doing awfully in Japan. They are far behind the PS3 (by about 4:1), and even further behind the Wii (about 10:1)
Doesn't surprise me. Microsoft and their developers just can't seem to attract the Japanese demographic like Nintendo and Sony can. They can't establish any franchises or appealing experiences like they can in the west. It kind of makes you think Microsoft doesn't care about the potential players. They may care about westerners, but how come they can't do the same for the east?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I can say this isnt surprising at all. The Japanese as a whole, much like Americans, prefer to choose home brands first. If you couple the factoid that most Japanese apartments dont have the space required for Kinect and that the Move is much cheaper its a no-brainer.

Not to say it wont sell at all in Japan, there are a few outcasts of (Japanese) society who have a 360.

Even Monster Hunter Frontier couldnt save the 360 in Japan, just makes me wonder why Microsoft doesnt just cut the evident losses.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Writing for the Japanese newspaper Mainichi Shimbun, a merchandiser for the major retail chain Tsutaya, described the sales reception as less than that of the PlayStation Move. Taketo Matsuo also said that Kinect was mostly being purchased by people who already had an Xbox 360.
well no DUH! because in japan, they never buy imported products if they can help it (except Apple, i dunno whats up with that) its part of that intense xenophobia they have for any nation that is not their own (and i dont mean just america, i mean ANY nation outside of japan) not so much the "6-8 feet of space" you need to play kinect

EDIT:
Simalacrum said:

seekeroftruth86 said:
mjc0961 said:
Anecdotal evidence? I was thinking common sense. Japan doesn't like Xbox 360 anyway. Not really hard to guess that they aren't lining up in droves to buy an add-on for it.
all part of that xenophobia, dudes, just objective fact that japan is a nation very focused on itself. its not very diverse and their consumers spend most of their time up their own asses with pride :p

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Microsoft: Trying to spread itself into as many markets and cater to as many demographics as it possibly can and still failing hard!

For further reference: See Games For Windows Live and the Xbox 360 + Kinect in Japan.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Didnt Microsoft take a hint when the 360 didnt sell well when that was released.

And it requires quite the space be able to play it. And it isnt cheap either.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
all part of that xenophobia, dudes, just objective fact that japan is a nation very focused on itself. its not very diverse and their consumers spend most of their time up their own asses with pride :p
I really hope you haven't had the cheek to say this AND be American.