Disgruntled PS3 Owner Starts Black Ops Refund Petition

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Disgruntled PS3 Owner Starts Black Ops Refund Petition

The PS3 version of Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1290612776&sr=1-1] is "sub-par" and "buggy", claims petition, despite more power under the PS3's hood.

The various versions of Call of Duty: Black Ops were not created equal, at least not according to one PS3 owner, who has harnessed the power of the internet petition [http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/codbo/] to demand a full refund for everyone who bought the game for the PlayStation 3.

The petition starter said that the PS3 version of Black Ops was riddled with bugs, had inferior graphics and fewer of the features that the Xbox 360 version had. He said Activision's advertising had been misleading, as it suggested that the game would be uniformly good on all platforms, and thought that it was unfair to charge the same price for all versions, when one was clearly inferior. To support his claims, he quoted articles from CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=275135] and Product-Reviews.Net [http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/10/28/call-of-duty-black-ops-ps3-version-has-been-gimped/], which stated that the PS3 version lacked the split screen online multiplayer of the 360, and suffered from graphical problems like screen tear and low frame rates.

At time of writing, the petition had 322 signatures [http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/codbo/signatures], with those who had signed commenting that the game was unplayable and that they felt like they'd been lied to. The likelihood of the petition being successful is somewhere between next to none, and just plain old none, but it's not a bad way for people to communicate their collective dissatisfaction.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=277520?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
Has it occurred to anyone that the problem might be with the capabilities of the PS3 hardware?

Aug 18, 2009
LOL!!!! What is this shit! If we were to refund EVERY shitty sequel that ever came out the video game industry would be buried 500,000 feet under in a matter of minutes!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Begs the question why they aren't just going back to the shop they bought it from and using the age old "it's shit, I want my money back," argument.

Done politely it never fails. Although this way has far more drama for the Llama.

SalamanderJoe

Jun 28, 2010
Inferior? I honestly can't see a difference. And what does he mean no split-screen online?! I see "Example Name" and "Example Name (2)" all the time online!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
DiMono said:
Has it occurred to anyone that the problem might be with the capabilities of the PS3 hardware?
You mean the hardware with a chunk more horsepower than the 360?
More likely a lazy porting job.

xXDeMoNiCXx

Mar 10, 2010
Maybe this guy is suffering from brain hemorrhages because I've played it on PS3 and it's just as good as the 360 version in every way IMO.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Obviously they've never tried playing a Bethesda game on launch day. Suck it up wimps, you have no idea what kind of masochism real love for a game/series can lead a gamer to endure.

Aug 18, 2009
DiMono said:
Honestly, before the hardware can be blamed, we've gotta look at the most faulty device known to man... the fickle brain. There are MILLIONS of people who swear that "OMFGZZZZ Blak OPz iz like totally the be$t gayme Ive EVAR PLayed in MYIE LYfE!!!!!!!!!" and then there are others who think it's a decent game, but for the most part an overhyped pile of shit (me) and then people that just hate it. People are gonna think what they think, despite any system's ability (or lack thereof) to tackle the software.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Maybe he should play the PC version then shut up and stop being a whiny *****.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
Really, it's the Wii version that gets the short end of the stick on this one. That and almost every port of any game.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Why not save all the trouble and just return it to the game store you bought it from? Simple not enough for you then huh? Well go ahead and make an ass of yourself.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Begs the question why they aren't just going back to the shop they bought it from and using the age old "it's shit, I want my money back," argument.

Done politely it never fails. Although this way has far more drama for the Llama.
Because most places (I can't comment on the places where ever you live) have policies stating that they can't fully refund an opened video game due to piracy concerns. The best you could probably get in a trade in for another/the same game or cash for selling it to them (which would probably be like 1/4 of it's original value) just so they can sell it as "used" for $10 under the unopened versions price.

SilentChaos87

Apr 15, 2009
The article says the chances of this actually succeeding is slim to none. They forgot to take into account this is Activision and Bobby Kotick we're talking about here. Kotick is more likely to, harsh as this may sound, wipe himself with the petition before announcing to the world the first map pack will be $20.

Notthatbright

Apr 13, 2010
fix-the-spade said:

It might work for Walmart or Target, but Gamestop doesn't accept returns on new games unless they're defective. He'd get $20 bucks for it.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Graphic Issues?
Frame Rate Issues?
Screen Tear?
UNPLAYABLE?

Okay seriously, I know I'm damned lucky to not get these errors... But a petition for a few frame rate issues? My TV tracks my frame rate is I choose to display it, and I've had my friends all play their disc atmy house and it's never dropped more than a few FPS from time to time... I've never noticed grapics issues, and it's FAR from unplayable.

Really guys, ball up... Infamous was thrown COMPLETELY toss on the slowest partition of the PS3's drive, making the game a graphical clusterfuck compared to what it was supposed to be, and no one bitched

L3m0n_L1m3

Jul 27, 2009
Because Activision is obviously going to listen to this.

And I have yet to hear any of my friends who have PS3s complain about it.