Tim Burton Needs Help Writing a Twitter Story

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Tim Burton Needs Help Writing a Twitter Story

Tim Burton's next story is currently being written through dozens of tweets by people like you and me.

Tim Burton is primarily known as the director and producer of films such as 1989's The Nightmare Before Christmas [http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Blu-ray-Michael-Keaton/dp/B0039208JE/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1290622833&sr=1-3]. However, Tim Burton is leaving the writing of his next story up to you, with a new experiment taking many people's tweets and combining them together.

The project is called Tim Burton's Cadavre Exquis. Cadavre Exquis means "exquisite corpse," which is a technique that takes contributions from multiple sources to create the final product. These contributions must typically follow specific rules.

The only rule for Tim Burton's Cadavre Exquis is that you must write out a tweet based on the previous tweets accepted into the story. Anyone can contribute, even Kanye West. The story currently follows a character named Stainboy that encounters a mysterious pile of goo.

As of this writing, the Cadavre Exquis is 21 tweets long. You can add your own vision for Stainboy and the goo's future here [http://www.burtonstory.com/], but the experiment will only run until December 6. If your tweet is accepted, you'll get your name in lights on the Cadavre Exquis website along with being part of something cool.

Source: Burton Story [http://www.burtonstory.com/]

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
Let's see. Tim Burton's "Cadavre Exquis".

Stainboy. Let's see, he's depressed. Dress him in black. He has daddy issues and is an outcast. Now for who would play him? I'd say Johnny Depp. But we need a love interest to make it interesting! How about....top of my head....Helena Bonham Carter? YEAH! But then a soundtrack to tie it together. Something fanciful yet a bit gothic. Anyone have any clue who we could use?

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Stainboy looks into the goo. Johnny Depp is in it! Hot Topic makes millions. The end

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
I can't stand Tim Burton; his films only 'quality' is the fact that some idiots consider all of the bad lighting and gothic themes 'alternative'.

I hate the counter-culture.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Thank god. Even a broken mess of a twitter story line couldn't be worse than the god awful "re-imagining" of Alice in Wonderland. I don;t know if he wrote the story for that, but just his prominent, self indulging "a Tim Burton movie" was enough for me to put all the blame on him for that.

Ahhhh just thinking about this train wreck of a film with its medival war/dragon story along with a creepy romance sub plot with the Mad Hatter...arghghgrr *shudders*.

infested

Sep 18, 2009
heres the story: redneck america, but everyones zombies and skeletons and gothic creature things. a character we will call Jill comes into town wearing a scarf with colors on it. they don't like bright cheery things so they eat her.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
In a shocking revelation the "mysterious pile of Goo" turns out to be Tim Burton's movie making skills, or what little is still left of them.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
From reading the posts good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that Tim Burton can shove his film ideas up a hole that Alice wouldn't dare go.

...I also dislike the fact he's doing a new Addams Family film.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I just had a thought...

What if Tim Schafer and Tim Burton worked together on a special project?

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
gibboss28 said:
From reading the posts good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that Tim Burton can shove his film ideas up a hole that Alice wouldn't dare go.

hehe. Nice one. Also, FUCK. I like Tim Burton (no, really) but he's not really cut out for the adams family.

And this cadavre thing has bad film written all over it.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
Latinidiot said:
gibboss28 said:

hehe. Nice one. Also, FUCK. I like Tim Burton (no, really) but he's not really cut out for the adams family.

And this cadavre thing has bad film written all over it.
really? of all the things in the world i want Mr. Burton to stay away from the Adams family is not one of them, it almost seems to easy for him to make it though, its like asking the coen brothers to make a 90% good movie and then just stop, its not like anyone wants to see the remaining 10% of the story.

OT: well i have never thought of his movies to have writing talent that any 16 year old goth chick with a crush on Johnny Depp couldn't match, and apparently he agrees, not that i would go watch this movie either way but there has never been a good movie that was made for the fans.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
I think Tim Burton needs help writing anything these days. I admit that writing, especially screenplays, is a chore but seriously, would it kill him to come up with something original? I had the misfortune of reviewing Alice in Wonderland for an online film site. I'd share my review here but I think I'll just let the following image explain my impressions of that movie.

Oops, looks like I got ninja'd on the train wreck analogy. Oh well, a picture says 1000 words which, ironically, was about how long my review was.
Also:
American McGee did a better job 10 years ago with the Quake 3 engine.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Tim Burton and Jonny Depp should just get married already.
And then they both plow Helena Bonham Carter.

Or Tim Burtan, Johnny Depp, AND Helena Bonham Carter all get married to each other.

OT:

He could make a movie about a Teenaged Girl being chased by a Serial Killer and the Teen Girl keeps using Twitter to log her events.

Or it's just a movie of a Detective hunting a Serial Killer based off a Teenaged Girl's tweets she made while being chased by the Serial Killer then getting killed herself.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I wish that Burton would make some more low key films. Big Fish is easily his best work of the 2000's.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
I would participate in this, but I would sooner chop off my own legs, deep fry them, and eat them before I sign up for Twitter.

Aug 25, 2009
Don't like Twitter.

And also, I've always been of the opinion that Burton's real strength comes from his use of visuals, so this just strikes me as being a little odd. I like the writing of NbC and ES, but I don't think they're the real strengths of those movies.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Interesting. I might have to break my pretentious haiku-based twitter persona and go for this.

Soviet Heavy said:
I wish that Burton would make some more low key films. Big Fish is easily his best work of the 2000's.
quoted for distressingly high amounts of truth.