Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1

The Part 1 is probably the most depressing part of the title.

Read Full Article

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
If they had made the AI a challenge, I would have considered it, but not how it is now.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
The only Harry Potter game I've actually tried was the very first one and I loved it. Why don't they make the games based off the novels and not the movies

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Best recommendation ever.

I had hope that they wouldn't screw this up. I heard there was stealth and presumed it was mainly stealth mixed in with the third person spells when the Death Eaters actually shown up. Apparently I was wrong.

Who the hell allowed him to say the spell every time he casts it? To quote Yahtzee: "No-one could look at that and say 'Yep, this will never get old.'"

Calumon: So the game isn't magic, it's just trying to trick me!

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
I find it amusing that they are basing the game off a "mildly" good movie based on the first halve of an "awesome" book

of course it was going to be stupidly bad, they should had made it from the book 3 years ago!

damn money grabbing idiots.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
The last Harry Potter game I really enjoyed was Chamber of Secrets although I never played 3 so I don?t know if it was downhill from or after there. The first couple also drew from the books there so I?m not entirely sure you would call them movie games.

Although I was also a fair bit younger, so I'm not really a good judge on quality.

syltman

Feb 12, 2009
I see the problem instantly

Developer: EA Bright Light
Publisher: Electronic Arts

Seneschal

Blessed are the righteous
Jun 27, 2009
PurplePlatypus said:
The last Harry Potter game I really enjoyed was Chamber of Secrets although I never played 3 so I don?t know if it was downhill from or after there. The first couple also drew from the books there so I?m not entirely sure you would call them movie games.

Although I was also a fair bit younger, so I'm not really a good judge on quality.
I think everyone liked those first two games. For the PS1 era, they were quite sophisticated, a sort of sandbox-y puzzle-platformers with a lot of Hogwarts to explore and some very diverse set-pieces (you have puzzles, races, stealth sections, straight-up fighting, a lot of quite clever boss encounters).

And then, like pretty much everyone else, I stopped playing them after the second one. But when I heard "Harry Potter cover-based shooter" a few days ago, I facepalmed. Harry Potter and the Gears of War.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
So now even Harry Potter has been fed to the cover based shooters. I did NOT see this coming, but HOLY SHIT!!! THIS SHOOTER PHASE NEEDS TO End!!

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Chain link fences are the bane of so many characters it's embarrassing. You can destroy them in most FPSes, but chain link fences are preposterous invincible walls in most third-person games. Strange.

PurplePlatypus said:

Chamber of Secrets on the Gameboy Color? Best HP game evar!

Book-based games are always better, it's true.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
It took me a long while to finally stop picking these games up I admit. By the time I stopped I had played the PC version of Sorcerer's Stone (which was crap), the PC versions of Azkaban and Chamber of Secrets (which were alright), the Gamecube version of Azkaban (which was fucking AWESOME), the DS and PS2 versions of Goblet of Fire (which were crap), and the Order of the Pheonix Wii game (which I never finished but seemed really boring).

I really did enjoy that Gamecube version of Azkaban (fun little Zeldaish title) and some of the weird secrets you could find in the PC versions of Azkaban and Chamber though.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
sooperman said:
Chamber of Secrets on the Gameboy Color? Best HP game evar!
I never got around to the second on. Sorcerer's Stone on the GBC is probably the best of that movie's games as well.

The only consolation I have to look forward to is the eventual LP of it by DoctorRoosevelt and his crew at the SomethingAwful forums.

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
I could never play this game even if I wanted to. Listening to Harry's voice is painful enough but I am not willing to endure it every time he shouts out a spell name. I would just end up getting him killed on purpose.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
I wonder why you even bother having a review for this game (or any movie tie ins), but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Maybe it was just for that recommendation line, which was completely awesome.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Perhpas I'm just imagining it, but the footage in the video supplement made the game look rather clunky.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
I liked Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone on PC.

And I really liked the Harry Potter sandbox game I played on Gamecube... Not sure if it was Chamber of Secrets or Prisoner of Azkaban.

Too bad the games went down the crapper. I guess there's always Lego Harry Potter to get your fix if you need it. I'll just read the books, though.