Happy Thanksgiving Citizen, Enjoy Your Extruded Turkey Paste

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Happy Thanksgiving Citizen, Enjoy Your Extruded Turkey Paste

A Thanksgiving dinner you can print? That's either a stroke of genius, or the most terrifying thing to happen to cooking in centuries.

Traditional methods of cooking turkey are inefficient and wasteful, and so the Master Computer has decreed that from now on all Thanksgiving dinners will come in the form of extruded paste. Using the 3D Manufactu-Printer, Citizens will form this paste into appropriately festive shapes, and then cook and eat it, giving thanks to the Master Computer for providing such bountiful sustenance.

Around half of that previous paragraph was made up, but whether it's the right half rather depends on your feelings about pureed turkey paste squeezed out of a home-made 3D fabricator. Working with the Fab@Home [http://fabathome.org/?q=node/1 ] project, which is an open source "mass-collaboration" aimed at bringing 3D fabrication to people's home, David Arnold of the French Culinary Institute has hit upon the "future" of food, which is apparently paste formed into odd shapes by machine.

Using the Mark 2 version of the Fab@Home fabricator, Arnold was able to create a small dome out of turkey paste, as well as a cube filled with an unknown green paste. Presumably, printable turkey is supposed to be a good thing, but I can't get over how utterly unappetizing it looks. Apparently it tastes just like regular turkey when it's cooked, and I'd assume it looks better as well, but I don't think it's going to get many people to trade in their roasting tins. There are something that science and technology can make better, but looking at this, a delicious turkey dinner isn't one of them.

Source: Dvice [http://dvice.com/archives/2010/11/its-not-thanksg.php]

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Makes no difference to me, the UK has no Thanksgiving cuz we're all ungrateful bastards! XD

Mar 30, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Traditional methods of cooking turkey are inefficient and wasteful, and so the Master Computer has decreed that from now on all Thanksgiving dinners will come in the form of extruded paste. Using the 3D Manufactu-Printer, Citizens will form this paste into appropriately festive shapes, and then cook and eat it, giving thanks to the Master Computer for providing such bountiful sustenance.
That's totally not cool. Don't just dump a heathly dose of Paranoia into my bloodstream when I'm all relaxed and off guard!

OT: If this food is just processed pastes, won't it just have the texture of baby food? That doesn't sound particularly appetizing, even if they do get the flavours right. I believe I'll pass.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
i want that! thats my idea of the future, fuck hooverboards and flying cars, i want food in pills and a world ruled by computers, and each year we as a human race vote on what colour screen the computer should have.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
The preferred thanksgiving dish of City 17.

Really though, am I the only person who can easily hear that article title spoken by a Metrocop?

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
Yeah, I'm going to stick with my oven so I actually know what I'm eating.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
All we need now is shrinkwrapped poop to buy and flush in the toilet. Then eating will never be a waste of time.

Apr 28, 2008
Well, after cancelling Constellation, I guess they had to do something with food-paste technology.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Exocet said:
Is....is that soylent green?
Its people man!! People i tell you!!

OT: Well.... if it tastes like turkey, has the texture of turkey, and doesnt smell like something man made, i guess it could be pretty decent....

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Man, I thought Turducken was as weird as it could get.
God bless America.
[sub]*salute & single tear*[/sub]

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
uhhhh no.

Ill stick to a freshly roasted/fried Turkey, with meat so tinder if falls apart as you pick it up.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
Makes no difference to me, the UK has no Thanksgiving cuz we're all ungrateful bastards! XD
that or we don't celebrate invading and stealing other peoples' land.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Deeleted said:
Swaki said:
i want that! thats my idea of the future, fuck hooverboards and flying cars, i want food in pills and a world ruled by computers, and each year we as a human race vote on what colour screen the computer should have.
Red!
Fuck your red! I suggest Purple! XD

OT:

Hmm... I wonder if it's actually tasty.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
mad825 said:
The Wykydtron said:
No, it was originally a Harvest Festival that also celebrated the friendship between Pilgrims and the Indians/Native Americans(whatver you want to call them).

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
zHellas said:
mad825 said:
The Wykydtron said:
No, it was originally a Harvest Festival that also celebrated the friendship between Pilgrims and the Indians/Native Americans(whatver you want to call them).
eh, it was more religious than anything else and besides what better way to celebrate the death of a native culture >.>

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
I've said it before and I'll say it again, just because we can do something doesn't mean we should do something.

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
subject_87 said:
The preferred thanksgiving dish of City 17.

Really though, am I the only person who can easily hear that article title spoken by a Metrocop?
Nope, I was wholly expecting some sort of huge Half Life 2 related Thanksgiving thing.

I was only slightly disappointed.