Question of the Day, November 29, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, November 29, 2010

Industry legend John Carmack thinks that it is inevitable that digital distribution will destroy retail [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105660-Ids-Carmack-Positive-Digital-Distribution-Will-Destroy-Retail]. Do you await the day that happens, or fear it?

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
As I voted, it is quite convenient, but I really want the physical copy of some games. The box, the booklet, and anything else that might come wit hit. It's just nice to have something you can hold on to.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I want a hard copy of my games, because i'll really be pissed when my hard drive gets fried & i lose everything.

May 25, 2010
The only digital stuff I buy is indie games, because I can understand how difficult it is for smaller publishers and developers to put a game on store shelves. In any other case, I refuse to even consider DD.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Other - I don't really mind either way. I go wherever the good deals are.

I don't think physical copies will entirely go away, as people like owning physical objects, but a lot of it may just turn into "collector's editions" only, whereby you get some physical goodies with the game.

darksky

Jun 8, 2010
I'm assuming that we're talking solely about the PC here?
Many of my friends rely on it, it's efficient and saves people from having to actually go out. ¬.¬
That being said, I have a lot of fun going to midnight releases, which obviously wouldn't happen if everything was being distributed digitally.

As others have already stated, I also prefer to own my games physically.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
i wouldn't say i want retail to die, because it will always have a place for console gaming. but in terms of PC gaming (which is my primary poison), I think digital distribution is the way to go. i pretty much purchase all of my games through steam these days, and the convenience is pretty much outstanding. the last few games i did buy physical copies of, i tend to lose the boxes and keys, and it really sucks not being able to play them anymore due to it. aside from my cd keys, i really don't care about having that physical copy of the game, it never really does much other than annoy me for requiring a disc in the drive.

Biffin Bridge

Jun 27, 2008
It would be really sad to see any local shops close, it's never nice to hear more people have lost their job. All the indie games stores have long since closed in my town which leaves just Game and Gamestation.

The only people who benefit from this kind of move are the games companies and IMO they make more than enough money already. Spread the wealth!

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Honestly I can't believe so many people want physical copies. To me it's always felt like clutter and has annoyed me more than anything. Not to mention keeping track of CDs and keys and all that bullshit.

Maybe its a PC vs console thing. I suppose if I were a console person I wouldn't mind physical copies so much, but for PC... screw that.

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
"I want to see an even mix between the two."

Why? I am not the only person in the world who likes to buy on a DD.

The reason I preferred DD nowadays is due to the fact that I can easily lose everything in a disaster. What kind of disaster, you may ask. Well, the archipelago that is The Philippines is quite prone to typhoons, and the event by which I learned my lesson was the day that Typhoon Ketsana struck the neighborhood. You may not know what happened that day, but what I can tell is that I lost most of the things I possessed, including some of the games I have bought, swept away by the raging flood.

Enough drama, I have already conveyed my point.

Jester00

Sep 22, 2010
Mr Fixit said:
I want a hard copy of my games, because i'll really be pissed when my hard drive gets fried & i lose everything.
you won't lose it with steam.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
No. I would be sad to see it go. Physical retail gives people somewhere to meet and nerdgasm in the flesh. It just seems like something... nicer. ANd its always nice to go down to the store and hang out or ask questions.

Its like CDs for me instead of downloading music. Its just nice to have that copy you can hold.

mindlesspuppet said:
Honestly I can't believe so many people want physical copies. To me it's always felt like clutter and has annoyed me more than anything. Not to mention keeping track of CDs and keys and all that bullshit.

Maybe its a PC vs console thing. I suppose if I were a console person I wouldn't mind physical copies so much, but for PC... screw that.
Really? You're the one person that should want phsyical copies. Lets say a virus wipes your computer clean, what do you do then? If you bought the game, the site you did wont give it to you for free again. Besides, dont you back up your comp? Do you use disks for it?

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I have nothing really against the concept, but the restrictions placed on them by the fear of piracy starts chipping away until there's more bad than good.

I want a physical copy where I can determine what to do with it, always have around to play even after a server's gone offline, and never have to worry I might have to buy it again as long as the system works.

Apr 24, 2008
I like a balance.

Most games don't get a 2nd play through for me, nor do they last me that long. So not long after purchasing I just have another in-the-way plastic case that needs storing somewhere and will eventually end up in a landfill.

I like DD for it allows for less clutter. Between the game and film cases, piano and guitars...there's not alot of space to move in this room.

I do appreciate that the cases are nice to own in a way though, if I had more space...I'd probably favour 'em more.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
I'm a complete sucker for buying my favourite games on a physical copy. I just like the way it looks in alphabetical order on my shelf, and with all the greeeeen. I like the booklets (and the 'new' smell) and its just nice. I don't buy every single game out there, don't have a massive collection, but definitely for the ones worth getting.

I don't want to see everything turn to digital distribution just yet, as I've still not got my own consumer head around the fact that to own something you don't need a physical copy. I find it hard to adjust, and I still buy CDs even though most of my listening takes place on mp3 players, or via Spotify. I'll get there eventually :)

Also, I'd probably be a lot more up for it if the internet was faster in my area but it isn't. To download a game takes a rather long time...

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
emeraldrafael said:
mindlesspuppet said:

Really? You're the one person that should want phsyical copies. Lets say a virus wipes your computer clean, what do you do then? If you bought the game, the site you did wont give it to you for free again. Besides, dont you back up your comp? Do you use disks for it?
Pretty much all the digital distributors on PC let you DL your games as much as you want. Steam and Impulse are the big two, but even Battle.net and EA do as well (unfortunately the same cannot be said for EA's DLC which is a bit annoying).

I'm not sure I've encountered any service with limited DLs. I suppose if I did, I'd just download the game off some torrent site or something, which I've had to do before when I've lost physical copies of games.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
It's convenient, but I want a physical copy of some games.

Not only that, but the games that I do have a physical copy of, I want to be able to access them regardless of a Digital Distribution platform.

I dislike it when I get a retail copy of a game that requires a Steam install, because in the unlikely event that my Steam account gets disabled (e.g. due to a banking or administrative error), I'll lose access to some of my favourite games despite owning the discs for them.