Muslim Organization To Rate Games Based on "Values of Islam"

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Muslim Organization To Rate Games Based on "Values of Islam"

Muslims create the Entertainment Software Rating Association to judge how well videogames portray Islamic values.

During the Dubai World Game Expo today, the Iran National Foundation of Computer Games and Index Holding [http://www.indexholding.ae/overview.php], a Dubai mega-corporation, announced the formation of the Entertainment Software Rating Association (ESRA). The purpose of the ESRA in rating games based on Islamic values of truth and virtue is to educate parents on what their children are playing. Like the U.S. organization, the ESRB, participation with the ESRA is voluntary and publishers of videogames would need to send their games to be rated. The founders of the ESRA hope that publishers comply so that they become aware of what will resonate or possibly offend the Islamic audience.

"The approach of Islam is based on human being innateness 'Al Fitra,' and the most important innate trends are truth, virtue, benevolence, excellence tendency, innovation and creativity," said Dr. Behrouz Minaei, managing director at the Iran National Foundation of Computer Games. "That's why we made sure that ESRA team are proficient in these areas: Religion, psychopathology, educational psychology, social psychology, sociology of the family, family sociology, emotional psychology, family therapy and educational technology."

"We as organizers endorse this initiative which aims at evolving the Islamic values and maintain the conservative aspect within the children and the society in general," said Anas Al Madani from Index Holding. "We are keen on encouraging game developers and publishers to use the ESRA system, as it enables publishers to understand the nature of the Islamic society and the different aspects that it emphasizes." Al Madani continued:

We would like to announce that there will be a communication approach between the developers of the ESRA system and game developers to use this system while promoting their games.

ESRA will work as an indicator for game companies in order to know whether the games approve with the Islamic values, and do not violate any of the Islamic traditions in Islamic countries.

It's not clear what the ratings will look like exactly. We don't know whether it will be a sliding scale of upholding Islamic values or a binary "Approved" or "Not-Approved," for example.

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about a new Islamic ratings system. I recognize that the sensibilities of different cultures and religions differ greatly, and that the ESRB might encapsulate Western values but doesn't adequately cover how a Buddhist or Muslim might react to a videogame. I also like that Al Madani is trying to open up communication between the makers of videogames and the Islamic world.

But I'm worried that the ESRA could be the start of a worrisome trend. While the U.S has a tradition of respecting free speech, there is no equivalent to the First Amendment in many Islamic nations. Laws could be enacted in Middle Eastern countries which forbid the sale of games which are rated poorly by the ESRA. I'm also not sure that it's a good idea to have a videogame rating system based on each and every race or creed in the known world as it could quickly become confusing and needlessly complicated. "Well, the ESRB gave Mass Effect 3 an M for Mature, the ESRA gave it a WP for Western Propaganda, and the Communist Ratings Board gave it a CaP for Capitalist Pigdogs! What's a parent to do?"

So while the intentions of the ESRA may be good, I will watch how this all plays out from my armored bunker in the Mojave desert with a fair amount of trepidation.

Source: NextGen.biz [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/game-ratings-based-on-islamic-values-announced]

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Sometimes things like these remind me that Muslims basically are Christians.

Don't tell to either of them I said that though, they'll be furious!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Mass Effect 2 would win bonus points for Tali keeping her dignity behind her veil, but lose them for having hot monkey sex with that clear anglo saxon jingoist great devil John Shepard.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Greg Tito said:
But I'm worried that the ESRA could be the start of a worrisome trend. While the U.S has a tradition of respecting free speech, there is no equivalent to the First Amendment in many Islamic nations. Laws could be enacted in Middle Eastern countries which forbid the sale of games which are rated poorly by the ESRA. I'm also not sure that it's a good idea to have a videogame rating system based on each and every race or creed in the known world as it could quickly become confusing and needlessly complicated. "Well, the ESRB gave Mass Effect 3 an M for Mature, the ESRA gave it a WP for Western Propaganda, and the Communist Ratings Board gave it a CaP for Capitalist Pigdogs! What's a parent to do?"
Yeah, let's open the floodgates, so that other groups whose members are all mentally unstable lunatics can have a shot at this. PETA: "there are bugs in this game that the developers are trying to kill, not suitable for anybody!" NRA: "the exit velocity of the bullet in the M4 rifle is 4m/s slower than in real life, not suitable for anybody!" KKK: yeah...not doing that.
*sigh* religious people...funny until you remember they are real...

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
No different than Christian groups measuring content in games. Don't see the issue.

Danish rage

Sep 26, 2010
Great, another way to blind there people.

Games shouldn´t be ratet on religious values, i find it grotesque.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Oh god.

*glances at modern military FPS games with thousands of extremist muslim terrorist enemies*

HT_Black

May 1, 2009
Well, uh...good for them? Seeing as I'm not a muslim and all, I'm not really fit to offer up my opinion beyond that.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Really is then any different then the ERSB? Our rating system is paritally based off Hebrew/Christian values of morality.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I might be a raving nutcase, but this actually sounds a decent idea..

Islamic stereotypes aside, they're not going to wheel in some adulterer-stoning hardline Shariah scholar from west Africa to do this kind of thing. It's founded in Dubai. We're going to get educated, middle class Muslims, hopefully with a range of different sectarian perspectives and interpretations of Fiqh.

Better still, if the games industry actually talked to these people companies might spew out fewer remakes of 'Jiggle Physics: The Game' in exchange for better sales in the islamic world and consequentially maybe we can level up a little as a culture.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
And here's me thinking that the rating of games should only be secular. *sigh* so very sad.

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
Oh god.

*glances at modern military FPS games with thousands of extremist muslim terrorist enemies*
Yeah, wonder how the would rate that...

IG for Islamic Genocide?

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
I don't think that games should be rated for the religious values at all and I'm a christian. I think that this situation is akin to the "direction of Korea here that I can't remember" Korean Government's demand that all games submit to their own ratings board.

lostzombies.com

Apr 26, 2010
JaredXE said:
No different than Christian groups measuring content in games. Don't see the issue.
Dammit you're not being super knee-jerk, out of context, sensationalist enough

*napoleon dynamite voice* God....

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Yeah, my feelings on this issue are a bit mixed. ESRB and other Western ratings systems reflect western values and not those in the Islamic world, so fair enough if they have their own ratings system. On the other hand, such a rating system could become a convenient tool for banning "un-Islamic" video games, which could easily trample on individual human rights.

If i were a games distributor for the Middle East, i'd tentatively submit games to be rated but if there are signs that middle eastern dictators are going to use the ESRA as a censoring tool then i'd opt out of it fairly sharpish.

angry_flashlight

Jul 20, 2010
This could get ridiculous if the religious elements get too restrictive. E.g. Mario not allowed due to Princess Peach's refusal to wear a veil, etc.

Hopefully, situations like this will be avoided through clear thinking and all that, but who am I kidding, people will be people.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
What about the "smiting of infidels" rating? *ba dum tish* I kid, I kid. I recognize this is being done in Dubai and it's not just some ignorant guy on a soapbox. It sounds like a good idea overall to me. I know we're concerned about confusion with too many localized rating systems, but I think you're going to have to start making some very different games in order to cater to an audience that uses ratings based on religious teachings anyway.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Mantonio said:
At this stage I no longer get angry. I just sigh and file it under 'Muslims gonna Mus'

And if anyone thinks that's offensive... then I really don't care. I am against Islam itself. The people I can deal with.
yeah, the real problem is not in people itself, but in the interpretation of dogmas and their FANATICAL use of it.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
"While the U.S has a tradition of respecting free speech, there is no equivalent to the First Amendment in many Islamic nations."

There never has been. Sharia is proof enough of that.

Honestly though, I can see publishers not even bothering to release games in Middle Eastern countries, or even accepting a rating from this group, if this is what they have to deal with.

And, if these people are so sensitive to works of fiction and entertainment that they create a separate system just to rate games based on 'respect of Islam', then I honestly do not know what else to say. It's baffling to me, and I don't know weather I should feel sympathy for these people, or think of this as paranoia.