BBC America Programming Coming to PSN

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
BBC America Programming Coming to PSN

Fans of car-racing, science fiction, and urban horror have a lot to look forward to, now that the BBC is bringing several shows to the PlayStation Network.

The BBC has some great programming that's won a lot of fans worldwide. Unfortunately, it's not always the easiest thing to access outside of the U.K., especially those of us with limited cable packages. However, the PlayStation Network is giving fans in North America the opportunity to view BBC programming.

Late last week, Sony announced that Top Gear, the BBC's popular show about test-driving cars in different environments/conditions, is debuting on the PlayStation Network Video Store. Even better: "for the next two weeks, you can download and enjoy the first episode for free, offering a great segue to today's launch of <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Gran-Turismo-5-Playstation-3/dp/B002BSA1C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291059711&sr=8-1>Gran Turismo 5."

Of course, <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Top-Gear-Complete-Season-13/dp/B003UPPO2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291058376&sr=8-1>Top Gear isn't the only BBC show coming to PS3s. Other shows, including Doctor Who and Being Human (pictured here), are coming to the store, too. While I know many of you are fans of <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Complete-Matt-Smith/dp/B003EV6DBM/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1291061113&sr=1-1>Doctor Who, <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Being-Human-Season-Lenora-Crichlow/dp/B003IMERF6/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1291061144&sr=1-1>Being Human is also a great show about a trio of housemates who happen to be a ghost, a vampire, and a werewolf. Episodes are priced at $2.99 for High Definition and $1.99 for Standard Definition.

Source: Joystiq

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
It sucks that you have to pay for these shows, but I can't recommend Being Human enough. Its just an amazing programme, its slowly repairing the damage Twilight did to the Vampire/Werewolf icon I episode at a time, with a third series in development. Basically, watch it!

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!...
Damn it, the Stig belongs on the 360.

[small]Some say that he is moonligthing as a pop singer named Lady Gaga. Others say he also wears a red g-string. All we know is, he's called the Stig![/small]

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
If I'm going to have to pay for the episodes, I'd rather just buy them on disc. Plus, there's places on the internet where you can watch this stuff legally for free. Hell, even netflix has a handfull of seasons of Top Gear. Still, if you must pay for TV shows, you'll not be sad if you go with Top Gear. It's quite possibly the best show ever made.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
It's a shame that Top Gear sucks.
Oh well, I'm glad that more people outside of the UK are going to be able to experience some of the really fantastic programming that the BBC puts out.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
new_age_reject said:
Oh well, I'm glad that more people outside of the UK are going to be able to experience some of the really fantastic programming that the BBC puts out.
Top Gear... sucks? You mean the History Channel version?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Decent scripts? Good shows? Being produced and broadcast in America?
What nonsense is this!

This is the land of Shit-Coms, Bruckheimer-Cop Shows, and Reality-TV!

Good stuff, though sadly, it's only via PSN, which means...*sigh* I'd have to deal with Sony.
They've burned too many bridges with me to warrant my business, even with this tempting offer.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
megs1120 said:
new_age_reject said:
May the Stig run you over for your blasphemy!

Patrick Dare

Jul 7, 2010
I doubt I'll ever buy any video from PSN, I agree with antidonkey that if I'm paying I'd rather just buy the discs, then I can rip them to video files if I want to as well. However, I have watched a lot of BBC programming and it seems like they put out a lot of quality shows, much more so than most networks here in the states which I am continually losing respect for (come back old History and Discovery channels, I used to love you!).

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
I'd rather just buy my BBC programming on DVD, rip it to my computer, and then have the ability to just stream it to my various consoles ;)

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
megs1120 said:
new_age_reject said:
No, top gear does suck. Stupid, pre-scripted crap for people who like to waste their time staring at cars they'll never own. And I've spoken to people who've been on the show, in the crowds who have described Jeremy Clarkson as, quite simply, the most arrogant man on television.

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Terramax said:
No, top gear does suck. Stupid, pre-scripted crap for people who like to waste their time staring at cars they'll never own. And I've spoken to people who've been on the show, in the crowds who have described Jeremy Clarkson as, quite simply, the most arrogant man on television.
Thats sorta the point...

cabalistics

May 4, 2009
Being Human is great but the season DVDs had all the recognisable music replaced with generic stock music

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
Terramax said:
megs1120 said:
new_age_reject said:
If you really think Top Gear is about cars then you haven't watched it properly. It's about three middle aged men falling over alot.

And Jeremy Clarkson is funny. Mostly because of his arrogance.

I suppose he's like Marmite.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
megs1120 said:
new_age_reject said:
I mean the one where they play up to their characters and Jeremy Clarkson is a bigoted snob that doesn't know how the real world works.
James May is quite good though.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
new_age_reject said:
megs1120 said:
new_age_reject said:
I mean the one where they play up to their characters and Jeremy Clarkson is a bigoted snob that doesn't know how the real world works.
James May is quite good though.
Have you ever seen James May's Toy Stories? I love that show.