282: Ghost-Type Story

Brendan Main

Jul 17, 2009
Ghost-Type Story

A tale told around GameBoys in the dead of night warns of a ghostly Pokemon that's collecting souls.

Read Full Article

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Bloody hell that was a good article. The last bit especially chilling. The real questions is where do all the 1s and 0s go?

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
VEry niuce article.The game would probably just be programmed to delete your file, but I'd love a chilling version of the game like this

Oct 14, 2010
Games that have a "cuter" sort of collecting aesthetic seem to be ripe for malicious legends. Even Webkinz has tales of pet murder.

In a way, it seems that some fans not only love to collect Pokemon; they love to collect and build upon its lore as well.

DktrAgonizer

Jun 7, 2010
I read this story ages ago. It was so creepy, especially with the music from Lavender Town playing throughout it! I love stuff like this.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
One of my favorite articles in the past couple months. I am not a Pokemon player, but if something like this actually existed, then I might have had to give it a shot.

I choose you Ghost Black!

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
Nice...reminds me of Nuzlocke Comics, which just love using the Nuzlocke challenge to craft a completely different world for the pokemon series.

The Long Road

Sep 3, 2010
The story of Ghost Black reads like a fable to me. In a setting where you normally have to struggle and grind your way through a game to eventually become the ultimate trainer, you are given an awesome, yet clearly evil power. Fights that once got your heart pounding as you traded attacks with opposing trainers, desperately hoping you would be the victor, are now pathetic wastes of time as your Curse ability lays waste to even the strongest Pokemon. Then, once you have demonstrated your power, you get to decide the fate of your crushed opponent, who were previously untouchable. Perhaps they were that one particular trainer that you had to fight to proceed down a certain route, or maybe it was a Gym Leader who thwarted your every attempt on your first playthrough as a child. Regardless of your motives, the choice is clear and simple. Live or die. They are completely at your mercy.

It quickly becomes clear that you have the final word in this world. But the game is always watching you, remembering every time you sealed the fate of an opposing Pokemon or a fellow trainer with the Curse. Finally, just as you think you are the new ultimate power, the game walks you back through your footsteps, showing you the spots where you pointlessly ended the life of another human being. Drunk with power, you didn't realize the devastation you left in your wake. As a sickening realization dawns on you, it abandons all subtlety and lists every single life you snuffed out.

When the list of your misdeeds finally comes to an end, the game casts judgement on you. In its darkest moment yet, the game forces you to sap your own life force until the Ghost takes you, too, with the Curse. Your save file is erased. You cannot go back on your lifelong history of destruction. Your punishment is bleak and final.

When I watched the Youtube video of this story, it sent a chill up my spine. I realized that I would have been the final recipient of the Ghost's curse as well. I think a real version of this game should include an alternate ending - if you don't use Curse during the whole course of the game, Ghost does not Curse you. Rather, he either lets you live just as you think he is going to curse you, or he takes you to the afterlife. I think the second option is more in tune with the Pokemon series' emphasis on collection. You, too, are collected, but not in the morbid way that the 'original' ending had it. And that way, when you think about your games in ten or twenty years, you can rest content knowing that your character lives on.

Wither

Nov 19, 2009
What i do is play the game on "hardcore mode". whenever one of my pokemon faints in battle, i must release it into the wild, and catch a new one. in this way, it's more like the pokemon dies.

Gingernerd

Jan 16, 2010
That was so chilling, and i've only read the first page. I took a toilet break and felt like i was followed the whole way up the stairs, ghuhuhuhg!

I have to find this on youtube.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
Fun story (and I don't even like ghost stories!)

The urban legend aspect of this story naturally made me think of Polybius, the original and perhaps most famous videogame urban legend. And the cursed-game/mind-screw aesthetic brings to mind more recent Japanese psych-horror games like Yume Nikki and Nanashi no Game.

Creepy and fun.

TheColdHeart

Sep 15, 2008
I enjoyed reading it, the part at the end about seeing all the people the player had used 'curse' on reminded me of the part in Metal Gear Solid 3 where you fight The Sorrow and have to walk past all the soldiers you have killed throughout the game so far.

It's also quite a sobre thought about all the Pokemon you catch and just leave in storage indefinately, there for the sake of ownership gathering dust.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
I would love to play that game. But what if you decided never to use the ghost's power? Maybe there would be a good ending?

XD

aldowyn

Mar 1, 2010
Nice article, again.

I read this story a while back when it first popped up. The Zelda one, too, I was going to mention it and then you did before I could. Personally, I think the Majora's Mask one is creepier, but this one seems more... ah... plausible, and deeper in some way. The Zelda one is like a typical horror movie, about the cheap, sudden scares. The Ghost Black story is much more subtle, hinting at life and death, and the consequences.

Honestly it's just amazing that people make things this scary from something as innocent as Pokemon or Zelda - even if it is the creepiest Zelda of them all.

Ekim Takusan

Nov 13, 2010
Very nice article, I heard about Ghost Black from a co-worker of mine last week and was wondering when you were going to do a piece on it.