Let's Retire the Reboot

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Let's Retire the Reboot

Hollywood is rebooting brand-new franchises. Why don't they take a crack at something that hasn't yet been made?

Read Full Article

Apr 17, 2009
Mark Ruffalo isn't playing another rebooted version of the Hulk. He's supposed to be the same as the one from 2008s Incredible Hulk, its just a different actor.
A better comparison would have been the Eric Bana and Edward Norton Hulks

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
Pallindromemordnillap said:
Mark Ruffalo isn't playing another rebooted version of the Hulk. He's supposed to be the same as the one from 2008s Incredible Hulk, its just a different actor.
A better comparison would have been the Eric Bana and Edward Norton Hulks
Agreed. Plus it isn't like they are rebooting the Hulk franchise with another movie they are just using the character in an avengers movie.

Ben Gepfrey

Aug 6, 2010
Where did you hear that Dr Strange and Wonder Woman are coming out? I know that Wonder Woman is looking to become a TV series in 2012/2013 but not a movie. Dr. Strange is in the same limbo as Ant-man and runways, endless preproduction.

I think that both Marvel and DC are already working on having new ideas, You look at what marvel has done in the last five years: Iron Man, Thor, Green Lantern, and the Avengers have had or will have their first movies. As well as quality reboots of Batman, Hulk and soon Captain America. They will continue to make new products as they go through their character rosters. Joe Q of Marvel has said that they have had round table discussions on every character they can think of and how they can use them for movies and TV.

I think the reboot problem really is coming from the studios that own the rights to certain characters and the comic companies are not willing to sell them any more. So what the studios do is reboot Spider-man, X-men and the Fantastic four trying to squeeze out more profit on what they have.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
I can understand the desire to reboot Superman after the last film, he is the most recognisable comic character in the world so they want to make him work. Generally, DC have been terrible at getting their characters to the cinema. Superman spent years in pre-production Hell before the last film, God knows what's happening with Wonder Woman from one year to the next and the Flash has been going at a snail's pace. I still find it hard to believe that Green Lantern is coming out next year.

Ben Gepfrey said:
I think that both Marvel and DC are already working on having new ideas, You look at what marvel has done in the last five years: Iron Man, Thor, Green Lantern, and the Avengers have had or will have their first movies. As well as quality reboots of Batman, Hulk and soon Captain America. They will continue to make new products as they go through their character rosters. Joe Q of Marvel has said that they have had round table discussions on every character they can think of and how they can use them for movies and TV.
If I've misunderstood you, then I apologise, but Green Lantern and Batman are both DC characters, not Marvel.

fangedfuzzball

Nov 19, 2009
ELFQUEST!

I have wanted to see that in film for more than 2 decades. I don't care if they do it LoTR style live action or Animated, but i would love to see it come to life.

It stands as both an epic fantasy story about exploration, discovery, and war; and at the same time is a very personal story about Love, hate, loss, and what home means. With the kind of rich and developed characters that continued to grow and evolve over time it could easily be turned into a multi film saga 'ala LoTR or the Harry Potter films.

CarlsonAndPeeters

Mar 18, 2009
Funny. Every time I've imagined a Bone movie, I cringe because I always think of it with 3D CGI. But after reading this, I realized that a Bone movie, done like Persepolis, with a lot of the original artwork and good voice actors, could be really good.

Although Hollywood will probably make it suck.

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
Except that in the comic, Tony Stark was a playboy alcoholic. it was one of Marvels first tip toes across the comics code. /rant
as for murdering reboots, I am all for it.some things I would not mind seeing rebooted, because of how badly they jacked it up the first time around.

bojac6

Oct 15, 2009
Zatanna! She is, in my humble opinion, the most underrated comic book character ever. Make the movie and make sure you cast somebody with a lot of charisma, not just who looks good.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
DC lagging beings? Hello BATMAN! The critically acclaimed franchise, you know the one that has makes megabux but isn't just a cash in? And Richard Donner's Superman basically started the whole damn genre.

But yeah yer right the whole reboot thing is really overdone.

And though I know it is blasphemy Star Wars could REALLY use a Lucas-free reboot but I doubt that could happen before he was dead.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Then again, her powers are limited to magic. Little, if anything, is beyond the scope of Zee's powers. Make anything happen by commanding it backwards? Okay. Can't speak? Well, just cast a spell in your own blood. Crap, Batman's memory needs to be erased? Why the hell not?
I think that this in a nutshell is the character's greatest weakness and why she isn't suited to making a movie. When a character can do anything, when they have no real limitations, they quickly become boring in all but the most capable hands (and no offense, but I don't see a character like Zatanna in the hands of A-list directors and writers, and even they'd have an uphill battle.)

The very fact that Zatanna so frequently ends up as a deus ex machina for more restrained characters highlights why I don't want to see her as a lead.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
"Reboot" has become the writer's panacea for "lack of ideas". I'm tired of it too.

Come to think of it, you know what could use a reboot? Reboot.

Now that would be a CGI experience worth seeing. (Even if only to laugh at.)

kementari

Mar 18, 2008
I thought this was going to be about actual original content, rather than just film adaptations of existing stuff.

And I really have to wonder about the 2013 Aquaman. Giant Entourage-based IMDB troll, I think.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
You know why Hollywood keeps rebooting these franchises? Because they keep screwing up and wanting to start over. The new Spider-Man film is being made because Spiderman 3 was a disaster that couldn't be followed up. The recent Hulk movie was made because the previous one was a disaster that couldn't be followed up. And so on.

If anything, I'd see this as proof that Hollywood can't be trusted not to make train wrecks out of comic book franchises and shouldn't be allowed to touch them anymore. Especially the ones like Bone that form self-contained stories and can't just be rebooted if they turn out badly.

Not that I wouldn't want to see a traditionally-animated Bone movie. I mean, if there's anyone out there who'd be willing to put together a 2D animation studio at this point, that's automatically a point in their favor as far as trusting them to do it right.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
As for a Marvel Franchise, I have two words made of win and gold:

Luke Cage.

Hell, ANY of the Marvel Knights. But most especially Luke Cage.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
No, the real reason why any movie franchise is rebooted can come down to one word. Actually, a symbol- $. They know the original made money. They can redo the whole damn thing without having to hope a new idea won't flop. People already know and are interested in Batman, Spiderman, the Hulk and Superman. So, they'll do reboots in hopes of finding one that will make them Mega $$$$.

But the problem is that the people are jaded from too many reboots. Reboot fatigue has set in. Keep in mind, your ideas for original movies using the characters you've recommended are great. But too many of them are not iconic characters. I mean, very few people, outside of comics, have heard of any of them, and that means you are starting to sell your movie to a niche crowd to begin with. Personally, I hold out for Patsy Walker, who started out as a model in 50's girl comics, ended up marrying a millionaire industrialist, divorced him, found out he was doing wrong from the Avengers and put on a costume formerly owned by a hero named the Cat, and became a superheroine.

She ended up getting real powers of her own, joined the Defenders and ended up the bride of Daimon Hellstrom. But that whole story is entirely too scattered to make a single movie out of.

Catwoman could work as a reboot, but only if we burn every damn copy of that Hellaciously bad Halle Berry flick with the same name. I'd like to see her done by someone like Roxanne Dawson, but younger. A more 50's style Selina Kyle as a true cat burglar. Meeee-ow.

Drunkbot

Nov 9, 2010
If everyone is giving their recommendations for a fresh comic book movie, I would like to recommend two Garth Ennis series for consideration.

Firstly, Preacher. It will generate enormous amounts of controversy, which is free publicity. Also, it would be full of fighting and fucking, and guess what sells?

Secondly, Hitman. Not as much controversy, but still full of fighting and fucking. Also, there is X-Ray vision from a guy with no morals regarding taking a peek.

Frank Miller's Ronin would also be a great movie if given proper justice... Or perhaps the movie format would be too confined, and it requires some sort of miniseries?

Guest_Star

Jul 25, 2010
There's tons of material and possible franchises in both the DC and the Marvel universes.
More importantly, there's loads of lesser known characters that doesn't need some 100+ million special effects extravaganza.

Prime example (from comicsalliance.com's Chris Sims):
DC's Wild Dog [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Dog_(comics)]. He fought terrorists in Iowa.