Exclusive New Screens from DC Universe Online

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Exclusive New Screens from DC Universe Online

SOE blessed us with some new screenshots from the upcoming MMO brawler DC Universe Online.

I'm cautiously excited for DCUO. After speaking to Chris Cao and Marv Wolfman at San Diego Comic Con [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/interviews/7912-Talking-to-the-Creators-of-DC-Universe-Online] this year, I was impressed with the amount of effort that SOE is putting into the authentic DC story and the unique MMO mechanics. I got the sense that DCUO was more of a multiplayer brawler than a true RPG. Even though characters can embody a branch of the Holy Trinity to tank, heal, or deal damage, they each do so through fighting the bad guys. Having DC guys like Marv Wolfman (who's written content for Superman in six different decades) and Jim Lee at the helm of the story will ensure that the tasks and quests in the game closely mirror what you might expect from a real DC comic. The new screens released today to The Escapist show off some of the tactics with closeups of heroes fighting in locales like Metropolis University.

[gallery=63]

I will be traveling to the SOE offices in Denver later this week to check out the latest build of the game and chat with the creators on how the game is progressing. If these screenshots are any indication, I'm sure that I won't be disappointed with DC Universe Online.

I mean, you and your friends get to fight alongside heroes and villains like Batman and Lex Luthor. It would take a colossal screwup to mess that formula up.

Otaku13

Feb 4, 2010
Love the batman armor suit. one of my friends got a beta pass. i should see what he says about the game.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
... Why do I get a feeling that this is going to be a LOT like City of Heros/Villains?

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
I get the horrible feeling this could be one of those MMOs that has a big grand open, gets really popular for a month then people loose interest, only to have it shut down/go free to play then close after another few months. Don't get me wrong, I WANT it to be good, but I just get that vibe...

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
That armor suit is indeed awesome.
I've never tried getting to a beta, never really had a need.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Some of us are in the Beta. ;)

They haven't screwed it up, but I'm NDA'd further than that.
you got that right. btw... you in the preorder server or the good servers?

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
Pugiron said:
Having had access to the Beta for over a month now, I am totally done with DCUO. It plays like a fighting game, not an MMO, with each fighter using his weak attacks long enough to build up to his big special attacks, every chracter having their own weapon and fighting style but little to no powers, and far less chaaracter customization than City of Heroes or Champions Online. Name one Comic Book martial artist that uses an Indian Katar "fist blade? There are none in any comic book I have ever read, but thats what Martial Artists use in DCUO, I guess making Batman a "Brawler". Batman even has to punch enough goons to build up to his "Stealth" power. Remember that scene from the movies and comics, where Batman can easily be spotted until he had punched enough guys? The attack powers require complex button combinations to trigger, just like a fighting game special move. How often does the Green Lantern punch guys instead of use his power ring? Super Strength is a "prestige" power, availiable only near the end of the leveling arc, so you cannot start with a powerhouse as a character concept. The first and most common super hero archtype, and its not viable as a character concept in the game, because you will be doign a whole lot of other stuff before ou ever get strong. Lets see, Kalibak, Blockbuster, Captain Marvel, Black Adam, Mongol, and Doomsday, just of the top of my head, out. Some of those guys never have any other powers besides strength. The tutorial misison is repetitive and unskippable, and the three mission arcs for villains or heroes, depending on which Mentor you choose, are just as repetitive. Maybe in another year or so they will do a Star Wars Galaxies system revamp, but this is another case of Sony trying to be different not because they came up with a better system but just because they did not want to compete with other MMO's (WoW) on the strength of their game deisgn instead of novelty. A massive dissapointment.
if you don't like the battle system, vindictus is the same way. Its not a fighting game, its just a different style.

Feb 13, 2008
8bitmaster said:

Preorder only I'm afraid. Tried for both. I admit on certain areas COH comes top with ease (music for one), but the AV battles? DCUO beats it with ease. Yeah there are flaws, but speaking as someone in CoH Alpha, that was a lot worse. It got way better.

BTW, Powerhouse is usually someone with the Brawler fighting skill. Hand Blades are only the default set for Martial Arts, you can change back to your hands with ease.

It is "odd" playing with a Street Fighter Style playscheme...but I think it'll grow.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009

How's the customization?

I'd love to get my hands on a demo just to play around and build a few heros. Other than that, the game looks ok I think.

Feb 13, 2008
Brotherofwill said:

How's the customization?

I'd love to get my hands on a demo just to play around and build a few heros. Other than that, the game looks ok I think.
It's not as good as CoH/Champions, but it's way better than a lot of other games. And it has a few features that are better.

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
8bitmaster said:

Preorder only I'm afraid. Tried for both. I admit on certain areas COH comes top with ease (music for one), but the AV battles? DCUO beats it with ease. Yeah there are flaws, but speaking as someone in CoH Alpha, that was a lot worse. It got way better.

BTW, Powerhouse is usually someone with the Brawler fighting skill. Hand Blades are only the default set for Martial Arts, you can change back to your hands with ease.

It is "odd" playing with a Street Fighter Style playscheme...but I think it'll grow.
a buddy of mine is in the preorder server. I like my main. Its a flying gadget user with hand blasts. Then again, I also have a flying mental user with a rifle named captain british.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008

I'm not in the beta but I have a friend who is, so technically I don't think I'm under the NDA... He's also not on the pre-order servers (which I can't believe they've made one crappier than the other, doesn't some proactive to what beta testing is about)

The game looks fantastic and the combat is great if a bit unpolished. Initial customization is somewhat disappointing but I understand that you can customize your character via drops which gives one something of an incentive to keep playing past the initial thrill of making your own super hero/villain.

I think the highlight of the first few starting missions for me as the voice overs provided by the joker and batman (I tried both sides) which instantly made my day then saddened me when I found out pre-order don't get beta access anymore. (yeah you get access to the last two weeks but psh, I may as well wait for launch at that point) Had another friend get into the beta a few days ago so I'm waiting for him to grow bored with it so I can "borrow" his account for the xmas holidays.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Greg Tito said:
I mean, you and your friends get to fight alongside heroes and villains like Batman and Lex Luthor. It would take a colossal screwup to mess that formula up.
I don't think the developers of this game really understand MMOs.

NPC allies are useful (sometimes) if you're solo. In groups they are, at best, cannon fodder and at worst they are an outright liability when they run off and aggro enemies at the wrong time.

Putting said NPC in a Batman suit isn't going to change that.

Dash85

Mar 21, 2010
This will hopefully hold me over til I can get a good enough computer to play TERA and/or Guild Wars 2....when they come out lol